Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing TC need some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing TC need some help

I cannot seem to get my re-built TCI SSF TC all the way in the tranny. I can measure just a hair over 3/4 of an inch between the bellhousing and bolt hole. I have been out there for about 2 hours trying to get this thing on and that is as far as it will go. I never heard any of the "clicks" everyone talks about it just slid right on will not got any further.

I am turning the TC clockwise while applying firm pressure on the front cover. Am I doing something wrong? I inspeced the splines on the input shaft and they seem to be clean no noticeable rough edges etc.. This converter was just re-built by TCI, and Rock-on put a new front pump bushing in for me.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a little issue kinda like yours. After I couldn't get it down all the way by turning it and pushing hard, I palmed it pretty hard with my hand and got it all the way down. That ended up working for me. If it didn't work I was going to smack it with a rubber mallet. But I did eventually get it all the way down without issue. It's been fine ever since.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
I had a little issue kinda like yours. After I couldn't get it down all the way by turning it and pushing hard, I palmed it pretty hard with my hand and got it all the way down. That ended up working for me. If it didn't work I was going to smack it with a rubber mallet. But I did eventually get it all the way down without issue. It's been fine ever since.
Cool thanks.. BTW all this turning by hand is not gonna mess up the pump since it is not on all the way?
Old 08-09-2006, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

i didnt hear any clicks as well, but you will know when it goes down... if you got the stock TC going in then you shouldnt be able to get your hand behind the TC once it falls into place... just keep trying and you will get it bro

Joey
Old 08-09-2006, 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was a pain too. Really tight clearance between that o-ring and the converter snout. I got mine 100% lined up with the pump and had to hold the bellhousing and push the converter with my knee to get it seated. I've had some tough ones before, but never like that!!! Just make absolutely sure you're lined up before pushing too hard.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Mine was a pain too. Really tight clearance between that o-ring and the converter snout. I got mine 100% lined up with the pump and had to hold the bellhousing and push the converter with my knee to get it seated. I've had some tough ones before, but never like that!!! Just make absolutely sure you're lined up before pushing too hard.
When you say lined up with the pump. Do you mean the two slots on the snout of the TC lined up with the two little teeth just past the front seal? If so is there a way to turn the input shaft to get them at like 12 and 6 o'clock?
Old 08-09-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Got it in! THanks for all the help!!.. I lined it up with the pump, like jmm98LS1 suggested, pushed it on. And finally firmly pushed and tunred clockwise and bamn it slid all the way on!!
Attached Thumbnails Installing TC need some help-1.jpg  
Old 08-10-2006, 09:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice work! Glad you got it on, I know how frustrating it gets spending 2 hours on something so simple! Enjoy the new stall!!
Old 08-10-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Nice work! Glad you got it on, I know how frustrating it gets spending 2 hours on something so simple! Enjoy the new stall!!
Yeah it has been frustrating my car has been down for 3 weeks becasue of this.. And not being able to get the new one on was totally pissing on my parade..