Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

need some advice on window tint

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need some advice on window tint

i got the windows on my car tinted today. on the ride back, i think i see an air bubble in the tint where it meets the dot matrix on the hatch. mind you, i'm on the interstate, so it's not like and i can stop to check it out. so when i get back to my place, i find that the tint is indeed rolling back from where it meets the dot matrix. so i push it back on best i can and call the shop. i take it back and the installer says all he can do is keep smoothing it out and let the adhesive cure. the only other option is to cut that strip out tint out. i leave and have been smoothing it myself but it still seems to have air/moisture in that area, even after sitting in the sun all day. i think these guys are trying to screw me? am i right? what would you do?
Old 08-09-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had my tint done locally in sw florida at (sunguard which is the worst place to go) who has a so called "lifetime warrenty" and had multiple tiny airbubbles on the passengers side window....and on the rear hatch there were tons of tiny cuts in the tint, almost like scratches... but worst of all there was a hair between the tint and the glass.. i didnt notice it since i picked my car up after work and it was starting to get dark out... so i go back the next day and point the stuff out and he pushes out the airbubbles then looks at the rear and says "we wouldnt let the car leave with those scratches in the tint" i didnt even open the hatch till the next day when i noticed the hair so i know i didnt scratch it..... then he said "im not going to remove the tint for a 1/2 hair" and then we argue about how long the hair is.. i say its an inch and he deny's so we measure.. i was right the hair is actually longer but it wasnt strait.. almost looked like a pube.. ehhh... so he refuses to fix it or give me any moneyback... so i tell him he is going to lose business cause of this... and he has.. ive had 2 cars tinted since then and multiple people have asked me a good place and i tell them not there (then i go into detail why) so they dont go and then they spread the word to people that ask them..... so they are prolly tryin to dick u over but idunno what u can do about it....

and for people in sw fl.. DONT GO TO SUNGUARD.....you have been warned
Old 08-09-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

Dont start complaining about the tint an hr after you get it.

It takes 3-4 days for a decent tint to cure, which means no rolling down windows, cleaning it etc

At the very top of the hatch ON the tint dot matrix it will not stick very well and you will only see the bubbles if you look right at it. Mine does the same I have to go over it w/ vinyl or paint, but idk how to do either.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Teching In

i just got mine done a few weeks ago and it did the same its a common problem i took it back like a week later and they said theres not much they can really do because the dots have led in them or something and the tint is designed to stick to glass but he said what they could do its cut the tint even with the edge of the dots and put a special paint on there so now im just waiting for them to call me back...
Old 08-09-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is one problem I never had with my back window, the tint filled the DOT atrix perfectly.
The one thing is, it will take 3 to 4 days like said above to have the moisture dry and the tints glue stick. You can go over it and smooth it out with your fingers and help it along. Or the place that tinted it can get there heat gun out and help it dry, that will help it stick and fill in the voids.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by presto_z
i had my tint done locally in sw florida at (sunguard which is the worst place to go) who has a so called "lifetime warrenty" and had multiple tiny airbubbles on the passengers side window....and on the rear hatch there were tons of tiny cuts in the tint, almost like scratches... but worst of all there was a hair between the tint and the glass.. i didnt notice it since i picked my car up after work and it was starting to get dark out... so i go back the next day and point the stuff out and he pushes out the airbubbles then looks at the rear and says "we wouldnt let the car leave with those scratches in the tint" i didnt even open the hatch till the next day when i noticed the hair so i know i didnt scratch it..... then he said "im not going to remove the tint for a 1/2 hair" and then we argue about how long the hair is.. i say its an inch and he deny's so we measure.. i was right the hair is actually longer but it wasnt strait.. almost looked like a pube.. ehhh... so he refuses to fix it or give me any moneyback... so i tell him he is going to lose business cause of this... and he has.. ive had 2 cars tinted since then and multiple people have asked me a good place and i tell them not there (then i go into detail why) so they dont go and then they spread the word to people that ask them..... so they are prolly tryin to dick u over but idunno what u can do about it....

and for people in sw fl.. DONT GO TO SUNGUARD.....you have been warned
wow...i guess mine is not so bad after all!
Old 08-10-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

must not have been a great shop.

i think it's horrible when terrible tint shops either
A) cut out the Dot Matrix or
B) cut out around 3rd brake lights

i literally take apart the whole package tray of cars so i don't have to cut out around anything...and when i get cars that i can't take apart (like audi A8's because of rear airbags) i send the car to a local high end body shop to be parted, then pick it up, tint it, and send it back to be re-assembled..

at my shop, on back windows, we use some 2000 grit wet sand paper to knock down the dot matrix a bit to help the tint adhere to it. also, on some cars we use a "tint glue" that is literally just the same **** on the tint, and we roll a bead of it at the bottom of the Dot Matrix, and as you push it out (up) towards the top, the extra glue helps out a lot

this is how my car sits now as for tint...
5% on the hatch, 15% on the sides, 35% on my windshield

and this is about as good as i can get the rear window on F-Bodies...
Old 08-10-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

there is a way around it...and it looks about a billion times better
I'll give you a quick run down
mask off your entire car except the dot matrix
spray paint it flat black
tint around it
looks ******* awesome
Old 08-10-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Because I am so nice

Old 08-11-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

update: two days later, the tint seems to be sticking a lot better, but from the outside you can see where it has dried to a haze.

i found a fbody around the corner from me with the same problem.

i just felt that it was a little less that professional to leave it like that.

plus they had an APC banner on the wall. not a good sign. but they were $80 less than the other qoutes i got.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to sound like an dick or anything, and don't take offense to this, but you get what you pay for
Old 08-11-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SS4Matt
not to sound like an dick or anything, and don't take offense to this, but you get what you pay for
yes, that seems to be true. i thought the $250-$275 i was quoted by others was too much.

Quick Reply: need some advice on window tint