Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t-56 rebuild help

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default t-56 rebuild help

I'm in the process of rebuilding my t-56 and i'm stuck and need help. I can't get the snap ring right above the reverse syncro off. There has got to be a trick, it seems as if the syncro is pushed up against the snap ring, i tried to tap the syncro down to relieve pressure off of the snap ring but that didn't work. any help would be appriciated.
Attached Thumbnails t-56 rebuild help-snapring.jpg  
Old 08-10-2006, 02:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can take a flat blade screw driver on each end of the snap ring and tap it until it pops off. Sounds harder than it is but we have had to do that once before. Some are harder to get off than others.

Thanks,
Amber
Old 08-11-2006, 12:12 AM
Teching In

You mean spread the snap ring out so mutch that it pops off the side of the shaft?

Thanks for the reply.

Travis
Old 08-11-2006, 12:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure you have the proper pliers Normal snapring pliers don't work well
Old 08-11-2006, 08:02 AM
wrencher

Good quality snap ring pliers work better than anything.
That is likely the problem here. There is one that has an 'L' shape to the tip, those work good here.
If you damage or distort the ring , replace it it will pop off & slide up the shaft.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:04 AM
FormerVendor

Not necessarily. We have had some in the past that we could not get off no matter what. I have the best t56 snap ring pliers out there and they could not get it done. As a worse case he can use a flat blade screw driver and hammer to get it off. Again for a newbie not the best way to do it but we have done it before. If that is the route you go, replacing the snap rings will be a must!

Thanks,
Amber
Old 08-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Teching In

after fighting that stupid snap ring for hours, i finally got it off. It was really stuck in the grove. I could get it spread way apart but couldn't get the back side of ring out of the groove. I even had a buddy come over and tap on the snap ring while i had it spread out and we still couldn't get it off. I got mad and spread the snap ring out as far as my craftsman pliers would go and it seamed to work a little. So we kept spreading the ring out as far as it would go over and over and it slowly worked the back side out of the groove. New snap rings are on the way.... I hope nothing else is this frustrating... If I didn't have so many expensive cars in my little garage I would have been throwing stuff!!!

thanks for all your help,

and Amber, next one of these I go through I'll be buying parts from you guys. It really impressed me that you guys take the time out to answer peoples questions on t-56's on the board.

Travis
Old 08-13-2006, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Default t56 rebuild

service manual says that reverse is pressed tight up against the snap ring and to tap it forward a bit to relieve the pressure to remove the snap ring. I hope u have the special pullers for those gears because i dont know anyone who has them. These transmissions arent like the older style manual transmissions and require some special tools.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 78TA
after fighting that stupid snap ring for hours, i finally got it off. It was really stuck in the grove. I could get it spread way apart but couldn't get the back side of ring out of the groove. I even had a buddy come over and tap on the snap ring while i had it spread out and we still couldn't get it off. I got mad and spread the snap ring out as far as my craftsman pliers would go and it seamed to work a little. So we kept spreading the ring out as far as it would go over and over and it slowly worked the back side out of the groove. New snap rings are on the way.... I hope nothing else is this frustrating... If I didn't have so many expensive cars in my little garage I would have been throwing stuff!!!

and Amber, next one of these I go through I'll be buying parts from you guys. It really impressed me that you guys take the time out to answer peoples questions on t-56's on the board.

Travis

joe and amber are for coustomer service. as i deal awith mroe and mroe people and shops in the Ls1 business i wish joe and amber held little sminars on how to treat their coustomers! alot of people are real a**holes to you unless you just droped 10 grand into there shop. but joe and amber really made the process of me rebuilding the tranny in my car painless as it could be. big thumbs up to those 2!
Old 08-13-2006, 12:59 PM
Launching!

oh yea and they even answered a question i had at like 7pm on a friggn sunday.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

hey where did you order all your rebuild parts for your trans?
Old 08-13-2006, 03:59 PM
Launching!

i picked up all the parts needed from joe and amber at t56rebuilds.com. they ahve effen everything you need, from spacers to complete bearing kits...
Old 08-13-2006, 05:36 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 78TA

Travis
Travis,

Thanks and good thing you got it out. The first one joe let me tear down was a pain in the you know what. I know from experience about the reverse snap ring and it took me a full hour to get it off. Joe just sat there laughing at me. Needless to say you are quite welcome and we try to answer all questions if we can.

Thanks,
Amber
T56Rebuilds.com

Quick Reply: t-56 rebuild help