Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do I Unclog My Catback? (Slammed my cat on curb)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How Do I Unclog My Catback? (Slammed my cat on curb)

So yeah, my car is lowered and i went out of an exit from the local cvs that was .... a little too steep .... and SLAMMED my cat pretty good. From then on my car's power has been down, the exhaust sounds clogged and there's alot of back pressure.

My friend said he's heard a few stories like that where ppl rock their cat and the $hit inside gets broken and clogs up the catback.

This sounds exactly like what's going on with my car, but my question is, how the #$% do i get it out!?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Banned

First is your mileage under 80K? If so...jack up your car...look at the cat...does it look like you beat it up on a curb? Only reason I ask is that the dealer will swap it out for free if it is clogged up...You got any codes? Maybe a 0043 or somethin'? I used that gig on a service man at our dealership and 2 hours later I had a didn't have a CURB problem draggin' around under my ride...
Old 08-10-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cantalope Kid
First is your mileage under 80K? If so...jack up your car...look at the cat...does it look like you beat it up on a curb? Only reason I ask is that the dealer will swap it out for free if it is clogged up...You got any codes? Maybe a 0043 or somethin'? I used that gig on a service man at our dealership and 2 hours later I had a didn't have a CURB problem draggin' around under my ride...

Almost 90K actually

No codes either.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Arent the cats tucked up pretty high? It could just be the pipes like mine or the ypipe.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

How long have you been driving the car around? If its been a while and taht crap hasnt burned out your probally going to have to take off the catback/y pipe and dump it out
Old 08-10-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xtreme57
So yeah, my car is lowered and i went out of an exit from the local cvs that was .... a little too steep .... and SLAMMED my cat pretty good. From then on my car's power has been down, the exhaust sounds clogged and there's alot of back pressure.

My friend said he's heard a few stories like that where ppl rock their cat and the $hit inside gets broken and clogs up the catback.

This sounds exactly like what's going on with my car, but my question is, how the #$% do i get it out!?
I gutted my cats a few days ago. With the pipe removed from the car I used a long-*** drill bit and drilled a multitude of holes through the cat. I also used a long bladed Saw-zall. Then I used of good pair of needle-nosed pliers and yanked it out in a pieces. It was a fun time.

Of course I only use this pipe at the track.

BTW, wear a mask when gutting cats, lots of nasty **** will take to the air no matter how it's done.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BLK02TA
Arent the cats tucked up pretty high? It could just be the pipes like mine or the ypipe.

I have a custom y-pipe b/c of the LTs and lowering springs. So the cats are closer to the ground.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol broom stick
Old 08-15-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

I have a GMMG cat back so i have all those bends towards the rear. I was thinking maybe a plumbers snake or garden hose and see if i can smack it around.

What do you think?