Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need some advice from Vets!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice from Vets!

Alright, im new to this turbo ****. Now ive got an LT style body and an LS6 block waiting for me to start working on. My question for yall is why do alot of you stay small cubes? Ive noticed its either 408 iron or 346. Why not 402 or 383 or 396. My plan was putting a 4.00 crank 6.125 rods and not sure on pistons yet (all 3 forged of course) on the bottom end of the LS6. I want at least 700RWHP. Ive got the suspension to handle. So help me out and explain to me please. Any info is also welcome. like i said im new to the turbo world and reading and still learning. BTW i am not going to have A/C. Ive noticed alot of yall want to retain it but i drive with the windows down 90 percent of the time anyway. Alright Thanks for the help!
(let me know if yall need any more info that i didnt give)
Old 08-24-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Cost of block. to go big inch untill now with the ls2 & ls7 block, you had to have a darton sleeved block to make a big inch aluminum motor. Alot of guys like myself want the aluminum block for weight. So a 346 is the comon aluminum motor, the 400+ inch motors are iron block. Plus, you can make big power with the run of the mill tiny 346" motor. 800 +rwhp on pumpgas is no big thing anymore!
Old 08-24-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats why i bought the LS6 block, for weight. I just noticed that alot of people arent stroking them and keeping the 346. So mainly a better question would be is it worth buying a stroker kit for the LS6 and turbo or staying stock cubes? Will i see more horses and torque if i buy a 4.00 crank and stroke it with the turbo or should i just buy a stock cube forged bottom end or will it be about the same?
Old 08-25-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ifryrice
is it worth buying a stroker kit for the LS6 and turbo or staying stock cubes?
I think you would be far better served with an all bore motor for a turbo combo.

A stock cube LS6 can make -crazy- numbers with the right turbo setup.

I have seen nothing but reliability problems with strokers when used in turbo applications. That isn't to say some don't have problems, but I've seen many that have.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the reply anybody else wanna chime in and give a lil expierence?
Old 08-25-2006, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

turbo's make a lot of torque , there's no need to go with a bored out/stroker setup unless you are looking to be top dawg or just have money to spend.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Launching!

also going to a bigger stroker crank and longer rod pushes the piston pin hole further up towards the ring pack.. a common weak point for forced induction motors.. so unless you keep the tune 100% dead nuts on you risk losing the ring lands mych easier on a stroked long rod piston then a beefier stock throw crank and shorter rod.. for all out racing if thats all you plan on doing, the bigger cubes help.. for a street car.. the 346 or bored version will make ample power beyond what most tires will be able to hold for enjoying the car regularly!

Chris
Old 08-25-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies yall. Wuts up com get som i meet you in Gainesville at the HRPT. You car is sick. Anyways Thanks and if anyone else has anything to add im open.