Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

garrett or turbonetics???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Possible Scammer - Buyer Beware - Issues Unresolved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default garrett or turbonetics???

i am trying to decide on which was to go. i am doing this as a street kit and want to keep the power level right around 500-525rwhp for now to keep my stock short block alive. i am torn between a garrett turbo and a turbonetics t series T66. what garrett turbos would be comparable to the t66 turbonetics turbo?
Old 08-27-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

you have to love the new turbonetics 1-year no questions asked warranty.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

One vote here for Turbonetics, too... Top-notch warranty... Got my T-76GTQ some weeks ago and it's going in Labor Day weekend if Hurricane Ernesto doesn't blow my car away.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bboyferal
One vote here for Turbonetics, too... Top-notch warranty... Got my T-76GTQ some weeks ago and it's going in Labor Day weekend if Hurricane Ernesto doesn't blow my car away.
hopefully Ernesto stays small or downgrades and starts moving quickly.

another vote for the Turbonetics warranty
Old 08-27-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

why waste money with a single 66??? get a t76 and keep the boost level down. then you can turn it up later on if you decide to do a forged engine and not have to buy a new turbo.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by sr71
why waste money with a single 66??? get a t76 and keep the boost level down. then you can turn it up later on if you decide to do a forged engine and not have to buy a new turbo.
i thought about that but i didn't know how long it would take the 76 to spool up with only running a low amount of boost. does the amount of boost you run affect the spool time?
Old 08-27-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

I've never ran a single. it's always been twins on my car. since I have no personal experience with a single, I will not guess on the spool up rpm. but, I'm sure there are a few members here with single 76's that can give you spool up awnsers from personal experience. I can assure you that it will not be a problem quickly spooling a single t4 flanged 76 on a ls1. you can also tweak your spool characteristics with housing a/r and turbine wheel choice. just remember....the earlier it spools up, the quicker it runs out of breath.

the boost level will not affect boost threshold.

there is little price difference between a 66 and a 76. the 76 will give you a little room to grow WHEN you decide you want more....and you WILL want more later on.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About to order a tc-76 for my hi flo kit another vote for turbonetics
Old 08-27-2006, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by sr71
I've never ran a single. it's always been twins on my car. since I have no personal experience with a single, I will not guess on the spool up rpm. but, I'm sure there are a few members here with single 76's that can give you spool up awnsers from personal experience. I can assure you that it will not be a problem quickly spooling a single t4 flanged 76 on a ls1. you can also tweak your spool characteristics with housing a/r and turbine wheel choice. just remember....the earlier it spools up, the quicker it runs out of breath.

the boost level will not affect boost threshold.

there is little price difference between a 66 and a 76. the 76 will give you a little room to grow WHEN you decide you want more....and you WILL want more later on.

well the money wont be a problem, i was just worried about it not being able to spool up. i assume the smaller turbine wheel would spool up faster but how would the housing a/r affect that?
Old 08-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Launching!

I vote for Turbonetics if your going with a 76......pretty basic performance as the other manufactures, but they have by far the best warranty in the industry. If you go with a larger T6, then the S-series by the guys from Forcedinductions.com and Borg Warner partnership. Those units make stupid amounts of power and seem to be unbreakable unless your have something wrong with the setup.

Quick Reply: garrett or turbonetics???