Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corsa or Borla?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 02:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corsa or Borla?

I just got another trans am ws6 a couple weeks ago. On my first 02' trans am i had SLP loudmouth, and i liked it alot. But this time around i have it down btwn borla or corsa. Id love to get some feed back from anyone who has either of these.

i want the car to sound mean as hell. what other aftermarket parts will help me get a meaner sound...i dont know a whole lot, but im learning. from what i understand getting headers and ypipe will make it alot louder.

the old RIP
Old 08-29-2006, 03:49 AM
TECH Resident

Long tubes headers, off road y-pipe, your choice of catback...I would try to help you with the catback choice but sense I don't have a corsa or borla I will refrain. However, from what I have heard, you should be very happy with either.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:58 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off: Welcome to our site!
I would say a custom y-pipe and a carefully planned out catback setup. Maybe not either Corsa or Borla. I prefer the true dual setup myself. That is just me though.

BTW: Go introduce yourself in the New Enthusiasts forum.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:59 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Meaner sound will come from a cam through an open exhaust.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:20 AM
On The Tree

corsa here better looking tips as well. i luv borla. had it on my stang. just do not like the look of the tips. although you might. good luck
Old 08-29-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

I vote for Corsa, I really like mine.

Just remember that Corsa stopped making the premium tips several months ago.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

I vote Corsa too. Sounds sweet at WOT and has a nice mellow rumble at idle. Sucks about the Premium tips though, the Pro tips still look better than the Borla.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im voting borla. I love how the tips look, and the fact that the sound level is adjuatable is very nice.

With my longtubes and ory with the plate closed its very toned with almost no rasp. With the plate open its a monster.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:24 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i vote corsa. IMO borla sounds terrible. it's very raspy and it's a terrible tone. again, that's in my opinion.

i have a corsa on my car:

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/38ca9...190161897c.htm

it sounds better in person because the camcorder can't pick up the lower frequency of the exhaust note. it's also not as raspy as it sounds at the idle revs. the flimsy camera mic can't pick up the sound properly and crackles.

the tips also look much better. IMO borla's tips are

borla's probably by least favorite LS1 catback in the looks and sound department.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Borla here. Had it on two cars, and would put anything else on, except TDs. It' s adjustable, not a bling-bling as Corsa tips, and IMHO, just sounds better. With the plate closed, almost no rasp. Open, it can be very raspy without cats'. I like the sound better than the Corsa too, either way. The Corsa, to me, just has a weird tone to it WOT, and the Borla, when closed, just seems a bit more refined.

Just my .02. Good luck. I think you will be very happy with either.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

i have borla...id pick it hell ill sell you mine if i can find a trual dual set up to buy
Old 08-29-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you go borla, you can have a QTP electric cutout instead of the plates and adjust the sound whenever you'd like. I have a borla with longtubes (where you will be heading) and I had BOTH an ORY and a catted y pipe. I switched from the ORY to catted because of rasp. With two high flow cats the sound is very good and I get compliments a lot. With the ORY and open plate it was just stupidly loud.. no real tone.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Borla because it is adjustable.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Borla. Tips rule on the Trans Am. Adjustable also. Open Borla will yield more hp. Closed it's extremely tame.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i vote corsa. IMO borla sounds terrible. it's very raspy and it's a terrible tone. again, that's in my opinion.

i have a corsa on my car:

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/38ca9...190161897c.htm

it sounds better in person because the camcorder can't pick up the lower frequency of the exhaust note. it's also not as raspy as it sounds at the idle revs. the flimsy camera mic can't pick up the sound properly and crackles.

the tips also look much better. IMO borla's tips are

borla's probably by least favorite LS1 catback in the looks and sound department.

Well when its open dur its raspy, its strait piped. Sounds like any of the catbacks that dont really have mufflers.

Closed there is no rasp at all and sounds like any chambered exhuast. Quieter and more tame than corsa. Maybe you should actually hear a few exhaust before you form opinions on them.

The tips are pure opinion, I love them
Old 08-29-2006, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Well I'm going to give you my opinion from my own first hand experience regarding Borla and Corsa catbacks.

On Saturday I went to Corvettes at Carlisle. At the event, Borla, Corsa, and Magnaflow all sell and install exhaust systems right on site. You just pay a $100 install fee and their team will put it on in about 20 minutes while you watch.

So I watched a Borla system get installed on an 06 LS2 Corvette, as well as a Corsa system on another LS2 Corvette. I will tell you first hand that the Borla sounded much, much better than the Corsa system. They rev them up when they are done with the exhaust, and not only was the Borla much louder, but it just plain sounded better. The Corsa sounded muffled and didn't have the deep tone of the Borla. Of course thats on an LS2, but I imagine that the LS1 would yield similar results.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool

B.o.r.l.a. ...........
Old 08-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Dude go Borla and get some Pacesetter Long Tubes and a catted Y. Everyone says Borla gets raspy with headers but if u get catted Y you will have little to no rasp and zero with a 1/4 plate. Check the sig if u wanna take a listen.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

i herd borla on a stock ws6 and i loved the sound way different than on the internet don't listen to the clips try to hear it in person. but whichever you go with you'll be happy there bolth very good catbacks, but the borla tips are ugly, but you can always change them.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

Ive had a good amout of experience with both and of the two I would choose Corsa. Borla to me seems like a toned down SLP loudmouth. Corsa tips are the best by FAR but dont let that be deciding factor, you can always order tips separately from lots of places for cheap. My bro has Corsa w/SLP longtubes and sounds awesome, always gets compliments.

All that being said, how bout you skip the ORY/catback and cut to the chase and get duals. This is really the best possible choice. Take my advice and read up A LOT about all the different options before making a decision, so you dont have to buy 2-3 exhausts like me before you see the light.

Quick Reply: Corsa or Borla?