Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers....

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers....

I have been thinking about getting some headers. I like the the QTP's alot but I don't know how hard they will be too install. I was also thinking of just getting some hedman's(less $) , painted, and header wrapping em. Any suggestion's, comments???
Old 08-29-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

My QTPs went in like butter although they do sit rediculously close to the body on the pass side.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

That would be good though wouldn't cause my car is lowered.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

If you never installed a set of headers, i would not recomend it. If you do not have all the tools it will be on the difficult side. That goes for all brands. With the QTPs you will be very happy with them
Old 08-29-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pacesetters 1 3/4 coated . More aftermarket y-pipes and true dual systems work with this header .
Old 08-29-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have installed em before and I have a million plus one tools. I am just mainly curious about the header wrapping idea on the hedman's. Nobody commented on that.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:06 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All Longtubes are not considered an "easy" install. If you can do a set of hookers you can do anything! I would get them ceramic coated.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

If you are going to the trouble, and have the $$$, QTP, for sure. Great power, great looks. T304. You may encounter some rubbing, but that risk is with every LT, and, for me, I' d rather cut my car up for QTPs, than anything else.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

QTP's it is. Thanks for the insight guys.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regardless of which one you get, now is the time to consider installing poly motor mounts. A lot of these header/y-pipe set ups will bang the floor, and the poly mounts usually cure that problem.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
Regardless of which one's you get, now is the time to consider installing poly motor mounts. A lot of these header/y-pipe set ups will bang the floor, and the poly mounts usually cure that problem.
Thanks for the info.!!! Didn't know that. Are the poly motor mounts gonna allow the block to sit a little lower and what's the deal with the "banging on the floor"??
Old 08-29-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pacesetters uncoated cheap and they get the job done, the coated ones will end up chipping off
Old 08-30-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
All Longtubes are not considered an "easy" install. If you can do a set of hookers you can do anything! I would get them ceramic coated.
I just did my first header install this weekend with a set of used hooker headers. They went in pretty easy. No grinding on K-member or on the block, no lifting of the engine. Just removed oil filter and diverter and steering shaft, both sides slid in with a bit of wiggling and maneuvering. I only have about 1/8" of clearance between the k-member and header on passenger side though, but no issues. Driver side has at least 1/4". Great header if you ask me
Old 08-30-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSmoky01
Thanks for the info.!!! Didn't know that. Are the poly motor mounts gonna allow the block to sit a little lower and what's the deal with the "banging on the floor"??
Here's my experience. I installed Kooks headers and catted y-pipe and left the stock mm's in there. The y-pipe banged the floor no matter how I adjusted it, it was very annoying.

When I recently installed my HC combo, I also put in the poly mounts. It was still a moderate pain in the *** to get them in there, even though the car was disassembled. The result was - banging cured! And the poly mounts only increased vibration in the cockpit a little bit.

Also, before the mounts, in a static situation, my passenger side header was about 1/8" from making contact with the k-member. (I don't think it ever made contact, even when the car was driven, I'm not totally sure though.) After the poly mm's there was about a 1/4" clearance in that same spot. So I guess after the poly mm's the motor ended up slightly lower, or maybe just tilted slightly.

But IMO the poly mm's prevent the banging by keeping the motor from torqueing when you gun it, moreso than by the slight relocation of the motor.

I don't know the long term effects the poly mm's will have, if any, but I know I couldn't live with the banging.

I highly recommend installing the poly mounts anytime a header/y-pipe combo is installed on an f-body.

Last edited by ShevrolayZ28; 08-30-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Shevrolay Z28, thanks again for the info.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
Here's my experience. I installed Kooks headers and catted y-pipe and left the stock mm's in there. The y-pipe banged the floor no matter how I adjusted it, it was very annoying.

When I recently installed my HC combo, I also put in the poly mounts. It was still a moderate pain in the *** to get them in there, even though the car was disassembled. The result was - banging cured! And the poly mounts only increased vibration in the cockpit a little bit.

Also, before the mounts, in a static situation, my passenger side header was about 1/8" from making contact with the k-member. (I don't think it ever made contact, even when the car was driven, I'm not totally sure though.) After the poly mm's there was about a 1/4" clearance in that same spot. So I guess after the poly mm's the motor ended up slightly lower, or maybe just tilted slightly.

But IMO the poly mm's prevent the banging by keeping the motor from torqueing when you gun it, moreso than by the slight relocation of the motor.

I don't know the long term effects the poly mm's will have, if any, but I know I couldn't live with the banging.

I highly recommend installing the poly mounts anytime a header/y-pipe combo is installed on an f-body.
funny you say that, my pas side headedr is about 1/8" away from the k member too.. and i have vibration not too bad at any RPM, but in 3rd oe 4th gear at 2400 RPMs the vibration is terrible.. how can i get rid of the baning and vibration??
Old 09-11-2006, 01:19 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
funny you say that, my pas side headedr is about 1/8" away from the k member too.. and i have vibration not too bad at any RPM, but in 3rd oe 4th gear at 2400 RPMs the vibration is terrible.. how can i get rid of the baning and vibration??
Poly mounts would be a great start. That is normally what stops the Y-pipe banging issues too.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:22 AM
9 Second Club

pacesetters might not be the best most expensive headers but they are really really nice perform good and fit well.and cheap
Old 09-11-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Poly mounts would be a great start. That is normally what stops the Y-pipe banging issues too.

what about the vibration.. it is terrible makes driving not even fun...

i rode is 2 ls1s with lts and and lt1 with lts no vibration at all... so what the fvck is my problem???????????