Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I weld my headers in the engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 06:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I weld my headers in the engine bay?

I'd like to get my AIR and EGR ports sealed up.
Provided that I ground the welder on the Y, will the voltage kill my sensors?
Old 09-03-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People weld their exhaust systems all the time without removing it from the car. Disconnect the battery. Getting to the EGR port to weld is going to be a bitch I bet.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you mean weld up headers from scratch? Mocking up your own? Not so likely, as theres very little room to work. You might be able to try and fab each primary outside the car then tack them to the flange and collector on the car, but i dont think youll be able to full weld them up on the car. Then pulling them back off the car will be a challenge as they have to be able to squeeze past a lot of stuff at akward angles.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ha no I'm not talking fabbing up headers. Just sealing the ports up.
I know it's basically the same idea as welding further down the exhaust. I was just wondering if it's a nono to actually weld that close to the block.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Heh...GuitsBoy is under the assumption that everybody has the guts or the knowledge to try stuff on thier car that he has done on his car. This guy can do it all. How you been GuitsBoy? I guess it all depends on what type of welding you will be doing. Using a flame torch would be a no-no but mig welding a few patches shouldn't be a problem. I still think getting to the egr hole is going to be a problem with the headers on the car.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Whats up havatampa! Im doing well, how bout yourself?? You had the guts to try some of the stuff ive done to my car, so im not the only crazy one! Nope, ive never fabbed up my own headers, but i have done a dozen or so exhaust systems... No problems welding as close to the motor as you feel like, so long as heat dosnt become an issue. Ive seen people weld cracked heads while there still on the car before (buddies saturn). Definately a wire feed mig would be easiest, but i see no prob welding the egr or air closed. People weld them back on when the original welds crack all the time.

Tampa, incidentally, hows that built 10 bolt holding up for you? I dont do a lot of drag racing so I was considering getting a truetrac diff since ive already got moser axles, solid pinion spacer and a girdle. Ibe been running street tires, but it time for some DRs as the car wont be a daily driver much longer.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

PM being sent to keep from cluttering up kenkaru's thread!

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Whats up havatampa! Im doing well, how bout yourself?? You had the guts to try some of the stuff ive done to my car, so im not the only crazy one! Nope, ive never fabbed up my own headers, but i have done a dozen or so exhaust systems... No problems welding as close to the motor as you feel like, so long as heat dosnt become an issue. Ive seen people weld cracked heads while there still on the car before (buddies saturn). Definately a wire feed mig would be easiest, but i see no prob welding the egr or air closed. People weld them back on when the original welds crack all the time.

Tampa, incidentally, hows that built 10 bolt holding up for you? I dont do a lot of drag racing so I was considering getting a truetrac diff since ive already got moser axles, solid pinion spacer and a girdle. Ibe been running street tires, but it time for some DRs as the car wont be a daily driver much longer.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

all the non related stuff made this thread a little more interesting.
thanks for the responses!
I'm hoping the egr/air are my only leaks so I can get my idle tuned up.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, sorry about that threadjacking!

Quick Reply: Can I weld my headers in the engine bay?