Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Install Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Install Nightmare

I just got my Kooks long tubes and true dual custom td system. So I decided that I would install this on Saturday since I would have a three day weekend to complete the install. This was my first long tube install. The passenger side header went in with no problems. I get to the drivers side and the header will not fit I cut the tab off the block and still will not fit. I take off the drive shaft linkage still wont fit it will not clear the back part between the transmission and the firewall. So I took out the 18mm bolt on the motor mount and jack up the motor and the header still will not clear the same spot. So by this time I’m pissed off so I take off the coil packs to make room from the top to put it in through the top because there was all kinds of room but that did not work. So I’m getting ready to call it a night because I’m frustrated and need to go relax so I let the jack down and sparks and some kind of fluid dropping on my alternator so I hurry and undo the negative cable to the battery to prevent a fire. I look under the car and I somehow cracked one of the metal lines going to the power steering and red fluid is running out like blood. So I called it quits for the night and it looks like I will have to replace that metal line that is cracked and I still haven’t got the dam drivers side header in. I took off the oil filter, oil plug but sill will not go in. I don’t know what to do now I cant put the factory stuff back on I have come to far. I debating on replacing the metal line that broke and put coil pack back on and the steering linkage back on and have it towed to a shop and have them finish the install. This is a huge blow to my self esteem I don’t think I will ever work on my car again. I was planning on a cam swap around Christmas but now I don’t think so. If anybody has any advice or suggestions please help!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 01:36 AM
TECH Resident

Take a pic and post it. Most people on here can identify the line for you.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I will take a pict tommorow. it was thick red oil now im thinking it might be powersteering line because there are two lines that run side by side right by the alternator and its one of those lines that cracked and is leaking bad.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Jacking up the motor should have worked. It worked for my install, though one thing that I almost missed on mine. I have a strut tower brace, and the intake was nearly pushing against it. Undid that so the manifold would have a little more room before it hit the cowl. As soon as it slid in, dropped the motor down a smidge. I didn't grind a damn thing on mine. Only other thing I removed was the oil filter. Also how high did you get your car?

Sorry to hear about the problems. You'll get it done, don't worry too much about it. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I jacked up the motor until the manifold started to hit the cowl. There was all kinds of room but he back of the header would not clear the place between the transmission and the firewall no mater how much i raised the motor that part between transmission and fender firewall would not clear. I almost had it in from the top if that explains how much room there was on drivers side. just cant get past that transmission and firewall part. I took off oil filter and oil plug as well. Im at end of rope and dont know what to do?
Old 09-05-2006, 02:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
Also how high did you get your car?
I would also like to know because it sounds like you don't have the front of your car high enough off the ground. During my install, I had to get the driver side header almost vertical for it to slide into place. I think once you have the right height and angle, it will go right in.

Last edited by Shallow Bay; 09-05-2006 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:38 AM
TECH Regular

Push...and then get pissed and make the fuskr fit, and about a 6-12 pack will help out on the install
Old 09-05-2006, 07:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a trick with Kooks(very easy).The car has to be high enough for the header to stand straight up under the car.The downpipes of the header have to be infront of the oil drain plug when you push the header up into the engine bay.Then they will twist in very easilly.

No need to disconnect anything.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

Best mod = this site.

Because no matter what u buy for these cars, chances are high that people have had to wrestle with **** long before you have and will have no problem telling u how it's done and save u a trip to the hospital or keep u out of the padded wagon.

Hell i even get help with my 'turd and it's no where near LS1-land.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok did you take off the tranny brace? bc when you take it off the motor and tranny will now move a couple inches, but if your doing the install by yourself its prob. alot harder bc i had 3 people helping me bc you need to have somebody with there foot on the tranny and pushing it towards the pass. side. and while someone else is pulling the header from the top of the car. and someone under the car ppushing the header up and wiggling it. but it does take some patience. i put SLP's on so i know that these cant be much harder.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:41 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just like stated before, disconnect the transimission brace, get the front end of the car high enough off the ground to stand the header vertical. Then you should have no problems sliding in the header.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Import Patrol

Getting some pics, would def help you here.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh and another thing when you start getting really really pissed just stop take a break get a beer wait 5 min and calm down bc the madder you get the more frusturated you will get and nothing will be accomplished. just a FYI been there and done it...
Old 09-05-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey dude, you can finish this up yourself. When I quickly installed mine I didn't get the car high enough. My ghetto fix was to use the jack to lift the header into place on the driver's side. I didn't have any help (didn't know anyone on this site yet), so the jack was my helping hand (as were boxes and phone books).

I placed the header as high up and as straight up as it would go. I saw the only thing holding it back was the wheel well and maybe the steering linkage. I thought I would ease it in and before the car started lifting off the jacks, I would stop. I loosened the steering linkage but didn't disconnect anything, just wanted a little wiggle room. The car moved not more than an inch (but not off the jacks) and it was in. Maybe two pulls on the lever.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

BTW, my previous experience working on cars included changing oil and transmission fluid.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

well i take it your in the LBC? if your free thursday i can come take a look and try to help you out? PM me back..
Old 09-05-2006, 12:10 PM
Banned

what part of socal im down to help out!!! i did my lts ...mine slipped right in...so let me know!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LFNDUST
what part of socal im down to help out!!! i did my lts ...mine slipped right in...so let me know!!!

i assume long beach since thats his user name
Old 09-05-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LFNDUST
pm sent
Well im going to try it again today find out what exactly broke and get new part. Yes im dooing this install by my self and its hard because im always crawling under and out from car to get tools, pump the jack, check this, check that etc... So any help would be great i will send address and phone number. thanks
Old 09-05-2006, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

out of everything you mentioned you took off you didn't say anything about taking off that heat shield on the driver's firewall. don't know how much different hookers are from kooks but i had to take off the heat shield to get mine in. tried to do it with it in but wasn't going to happen. also the tab did catch mine but, i had a friend up top grab it and pull just a little bit and it went in just fine. i also did this with jackstands which took talent i couldn't get the header as vertical as i needed but still wasn't that bad. good luck getting it fixed.