Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle body question for 2000 ss

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 02:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle body question for 2000 ss

my car is totally stock and im trying to make it breath better. what size tb should i get for it and should i get a high flow mass air flow sensor? i already have and slp induction and exhust is on the way.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

stock ported TB is fine, don't waste money on aftermarket ones unless you go FAST 90/90 setup.

Ls6 intake would be a good investment if you don't plan on a 90mm setup.

Stick with the stock MAF it's good for well over 500bhp, you'll only likely see problems with an aftermarket one. And the only gains to be had can be achieved via a tune.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just port the TB and leave the MAF alone. I have run and it hasnt caused any problems. But the stock one is good
Old 09-12-2006, 04:56 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Port that bad boy!
Old 09-12-2006, 01:27 PM
10 Second Club

the point in improving performance is to find the spot in your motor that flows the worst and improve on it. as of now your throttle body isnt that place.

dont buy a aftermarket throttle body and for sure not an aftermarket MAF. when tuners get ahold of peoples cars the first thing they do is switch those two parts back to stock because they just end up hurting everything

IMO ported throttle body is a waste of time, spend your time elsewhere
Old 09-12-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cop Car
the point in improving performance is to find the spot in your motor that flows the worst and improve on it. as of now your throttle body isnt that place.

dont buy a aftermarket throttle body and for sure not an aftermarket MAF. when tuners get ahold of peoples cars the first thing they do is switch those two parts back to stock because they just end up hurting everything

IMO ported throttle body is a waste of time, spend your time elsewhere
If you don't know what you are talking about, please don't give advice.

A ported TB is worth ~8rwhp even on a stock setup. And if you do it yourself it costs nothing.

And tuners do not switch back to stock, I mean hell they'd charge you like $400 bucks just for that let alone anything else.

A larger MAF has a time and place, but not on a bolt on or even usually a h/c Ls1. SD tunes are often favoured anyhow.

But the TB porting is a well proven mod with years and years and years of proof and real life accounts.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Porting your throttle body is a worthwhile modification to do. You might even feel a better throttle response after the porting. I did...
Old 09-12-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stock ported TB and pull screen out of maff and port maff! That's what i did and did it to a few other cars with no problems and good gains
Old 09-12-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I P/P'ed my TB. I Remember that the better trottle response came after I ground down the Trottle Stop. The overall port seemed to help quite a bit though.

As for the MAF,... I was one of those people who imediatly went the aftermarket route with it. I haven't noticed a huge difference with it. I havent descreened it though because I race without a filter and I feel more comfortable with the screen in place.

I say,..Port the sucker,...But also grind down the trottle stop. But be carefull,. dont overdue it!
Old 09-12-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

.... throtle
Old 09-12-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

OMG! I really can't spell for ****! I meant throttle!
Old 09-12-2006, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
If you don't know what you are talking about, please don't give advice.

A ported TB is worth ~8rwhp even on a stock setup. And if you do it yourself it costs nothing.

And tuners do not switch back to stock, I mean hell they'd charge you like $400 bucks just for that let alone anything else.

A larger MAF has a time and place, but not on a bolt on or even usually a h/c Ls1. SD tunes are often favoured anyhow.

But the TB porting is a well proven mod with years and years and years of proof and real life accounts.
thats pretty much all opinion pieces right there. (its insane to think that removing miniscule ammounts of material from your TB will give you over 10 crank hp).

how about you put the same car on the track. run it with a ported throttle body and then with the stock throttle body. over a period of 10 races id place money on the un-ported (read non screwed up) car would be quicker and faster. with the computer controls anything you do to your car needs to be told to your computer so that it knows what is going on. plus there is always the chance that you screw it up and have to buy a new throttle body.

also, anything other than the stock MAF is not nessecary. if you are going with a big cam might as well save several hundred dollars and do a speed density tune, which is free while the guy is tuning it.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

thats pretty much all opinion pieces right there. (its insane to think that removing miniscule ammounts of material from your TB will give you over 10 crank hp).

how about you put the same car on the track. run it with a ported throttle body and then with the stock throttle body. over a period of 10 races id place money on the un-ported (read non screwed up) car would be quicker and faster. with the computer controls anything you do to your car needs to be told to your computer so that it knows what is going on. plus there is always the chance that you screw it up and have to buy a new throttle body.

also, anything other than the stock MAF is not nessecary. if you are going with a big cam might as well save several hundred dollars and do a speed density tune, which is free while the guy is tuning it.

My opinion is....... that your wrong. Removing any material/obstruction helps. Even if its by a very small amount. In fact,.. very many articals have been published in reguards to this subject. I'm gonna go with what publishers have been willing to put into print for years and my own personal experience with my TB P/P and Throttle Stop gind over your personal opinion.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
OMG! I really can't spell for ****! I meant throttle!

True, although nobody had to know about it...see that edit button (lower right corner)...I know, it's crazy, but you can edit your post after you initially post it.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

lol,...alright then. I feel like Special Ed on the short bus now. Well now I know!
Old 09-12-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Ill take you up on that, been there done that. Its actually amazing what the "miniscule amounts" do for one...really. I have had a stock TB on my car for a few months and put one back on it Sunday and its no fad or imagination or dyno trick. I was actually at the track one day and a guy wanted a ported TB from me but wanted "proof". I told him to race his car 3 times and then race it 3 times with a TB, he ran consistent 12.6-12.7 and then with a TB ran consistent 12.4-12.5 and 1.X mph faster. And everyone knows, or most, how much dyno time Ive put in- but then again Ive probably had more R&D with porting a TB on the dyno.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bo White
Its actually amazing what the "miniscule amounts" do for one...really.

Agreed. 3 or 4 HP here......4 or 5lbs there....it all adds up.

You think the guys on the SI list said "screw it....it will only give me 5HP" ? Or "I'm leaving my passenger seat in. It only weighs XX lbs."

Did Choco Taco get a new screen name?
Old 09-13-2006, 02:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jay_99z
Did Choco Taco get a new screen name?
I don't think so, they do generally post accurate info.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:59 AM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=Cop Car]thats pretty much all opinion pieces right there. (its insane to think that removing miniscule ammounts of material from your TB will give you over 10 crank hp).[QUOTE=Cop Car]
Well no it's not opinoin, it's fluid dynamics. Plus there is plenty of proof available if you care to research it. If you don't, well it's no bother to me as it'll just be a loss to you.

how about you put the same car on the track. run it with a ported throttle body and then with the stock throttle body.
Has been done many times, again go research it if you really don't know.

P.S. - You don't know, so go research it

over a period of 10 races id place money on the un-ported (read non screwed up) car would be quicker and faster.
Do you have a Paypal account?

with the computer controls anything you do to your car needs to be told to your computer so that it knows what is going on.
Nope, not with a MAF, as it's a Mass Air Flow Meter. SD tunes like the new Mopoar Hemi uses do need to be told about every change.

Although there is a limit to what a MAF can do, but they do have a use.

plus there is always the chance that you screw it up and have to buy a new throttle body.
Not a problem as you can pay $75 for a ported one if you're not sure you can do it yourself.

SD Tune isn't for every one. And it's not free as you need to tune the car, preferably using a dyno.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P & P the throttle body is generally not a bad idea, definitely clean up the throttle stop so it opens fully. Leave the MAF alone since as stated above in most cases they just cause problems for tuning later. Spend your money on a good tune instead.