Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

When replacing the slave what else?....

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When replacing the slave what else?....

I need to fix my Z/28. With the engine running, the trans will not shift into any gear, it feels "blocked" and the shifter only moves a short distance in any direction from neutral. When I turn the car off, it shifts freely into every gear like there is no problem.
Multiple people have suggested the problem is hydrulic. That is making me think its the slave. If I try to replace the slave, do I have to drop the tranny like doing a complete clutch job? If so, do I need to replace anything else besides the slave?

I just want to make sure if I buy a slave, I don't miss replacing something that should have been done while in there. I have never done any clutch/tranny work before and in my garage is tough enough without making a bonehead mistake, and having to do it over again.

Thanks in advance for any help..........
Old 09-12-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Location: Richmond, VA Where fast cars, well......are hard to come by.

If you get the slave from gm all you have to do is pull the tranny out and unbolt the old and put the new on and put the tranny back in.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

It is a good idea to check your clutch too while you are there, if it is close to going out you might as well replace so you don't have to drop the tranny again in a couple of months. Also when I replaced my slave I got a new master cylinder just to make sure I would not have any problems later. But that is just me i wanted to do every thing at once.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hows your pedal pressure on the clutch? Is there hydraulic fluid in the reservoir, and does it look like clean clear brake fluid? Could be a binding pressure plate.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Teching In

The pedal pressue is fine....and I did a mity vac bleed to get any bubble out, but it did not help. The fluid is not clear, but not really bad either. I guess I am just afraid of tearing it down, you know, when I see what is in there, I might have to do the whole thing. How can you tell if the slave is actually bad?
Old 09-13-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A slave usually wont go bad unless it's leaking fluid. Normally, either the housing of the slave cracks, or the seals start to leak. Then you'll see a steady stream to slight drips of clutch fluid leak from the slit between the bellhousing and the gearbox. If it were my car here's what I'd do....Flush the fluid with clean fluid. Bleed the system using the normal method of pushing the pedal and opening the bleeder. Remove the quick disconnect from the slave and try and push the clutch pedal. You shouldn't be able to depress it. If you can depress it I'd remove the master and bench bleed it, put it back in the car, bleed the slave by using the bleeder fitting on it. Test it out.... If you still can't get it to shift gears I'd start shopping for a new clutch because I'd think it's the pressure plate. Especially if you have a few miles on the clutch, or you're running it hard.

Oh, and while you're in there, replace the pilot bearing, and consider getting a set of ARP pressure plate and flywheel bolts. Also, I'd track down a machine shop in the area that can balance the pressure plate and flywheel.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

Location: Richmond, VA Where fast cars, well......are hard to come by.

How do you replace the pilot bearing?
Old 09-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Launching!

You need to pull the tranny/PP/clutch disc/flywheel then get a puller in there and attach it to a slidehammer and hammer it out. Pretty easy if you're already in there