Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I have a hole in my bell housing!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a hole in my bell housing!!

Well i just installed my long tubes and i had to drive it open header for a day untill i could take it to the exhaust shop its was loud vibrated alot.. well i heard a clunk on my way home i thought hmm... o well something we probly droped when we installed the headers like a bolt.. Then today about 4 times ill be driving and braking and i hear a bang bang bang like a some one is hitting a wrentch by my floor board. and i look at my bell housing im missing a chunk of it! but before i did my headers thier was a crack on the other side of the bell housing. i have never heard of a problem like this and i am clue less because my clutch grabs great and it barked 3rd today just drive good.. so i am clue less. im going to take off my bell housing on saterday... any advise on what it could be would be great. i am bumbed out big time... more money i have to spend after getting long tubes and exhuast.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You put it back together with a crack? You then"barked 3rd"? Real cause seems to be bad judgement.These bells are aluminum and require full stucture to support the trans. I suspect you could have lost a clutch segment or piece and thats what "holed" your bell. However, if you spanked the car with a crack in the bell, it could simply have given up more of that structure. The original cause of the crack? It may be due to hard use with a bad rear mount.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Old 09-22-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

yea i didnt think it was that big of a deal at first but thier has to be something banging around in thier but yea you are right i should have got on it its just i wanted to see what my long tube did for me.. so i guess im gonna go ahead and put a better clutch and flywheel in whiles im down thier. im liking the ls7 clutch but im not sure if it can hold nitrous..
Old 09-22-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoon
You put it back together with a crack? You then"barked 3rd"? Real cause seems to be bad judgement.These bells are aluminum and require full stucture to support the trans. I suspect you could have lost a clutch segment or piece and thats what "holed" your bell. However, if you spanked the car with a crack in the bell, it could simply have given up more of that structure. The original cause of the crack? It may be due to hard use with a bad rear mount.
thats what i was thinking, lol if its cracked i would think that it is pretty important part and i would have been looking into why it was cracked and put another bellhousing on. i think the fist time i head something would have been enough for me to know what was making the noise. and then this happened 4 times and you thought it would be ok or what? there is obvously something in there and more than likely part of a spring of the disk or a PP bolt i would think. your lucky that it didnt come apart more and come into the inside of the car and hit you more importantly
Old 09-22-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea guys well an ******* at work told me this morning that he droped an 8mm socket in there and didnt bother to tell me he thought it would just come out no big deal the only reason he told me is because someone i know saw the whole thing go down and told him after word that he needs to get it out. well he didnt get it out and it made those holes. so he's buying me a new bell housing from what he says.. im waiting for the money. yea shitty.. im gonna cut the a hole in it and get that socket out..
Old 09-23-2006, 01:43 AM
Launching!

I have a hole in mine also. Happened from when my clutch flat out exploded. It was cool, but not being stuck on the side of the road for 2 hours.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:18 PM

I was about so ask you who dropped a socket while trying to bleed your clutch. Been there before, but pulled it out before it came through the side of MY housing.

Ben T.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn...all he had to do was remove the starter to get it out too...
Old 09-23-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

DAMM, if i were you id NEVER at any point let that person touch my car again, thats just plain out stupid and lazyness, and coulda been dangerous and F***ed up your car REALLY BAD
Old 09-23-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Veteran

sounds like he would be perfect to work at a jiffy lube
Old 09-23-2006, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

^ this guy speaks the truth
Old 09-24-2006, 03:46 PM
10 Second Club

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. I had a new clutch installed and a few days later I heard something banging around in the bell housing. I checked it out and it was cracked in a few places. Turns out that the dipshit that installed my clutch did something wrong and one of the transmission guides fell into the bell housing. No damage done to the clutch but still pissed me off.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea well he said he will buy a new bellhousing and im gonna go ahead and make him install all of this **** like my new clutch. and look it all over make sure its done right.. and guess what if its not right then he's gonna do it again or ill put a hole in his head for putting one in my bell housing.. oh yea and a quick up date well it made 2 more holes. my stock clutch is working fine right now so i think my slave will be alright im just not driving the car till i get my new clutch and bell housing in.. yea it is a shitty situation but im gonna try to get all i can get out of it i guess.