Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Wrapping hot parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrapping hot parts

Does anyone have any before and after results with wrapping their hotparts? How about a turbo blanket? Any difference in spool time? Any difference with under hood temps? Would it be benneficial to wrap the headers too even if they are ceramic coated or would just the crossover be enough. Lets hear some opinions.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I let my friend borrow my turbo blanketand he said he couldn't really tell a difference in spool time. But he sees 8 spi in a heartbeat with his stalled TH400 and a T76. I'm sure it helps A LITTLE in under hood temps, but he hasn't measured.

FWIW: I am getting my hot parts ceramakrome coated, and wrapping all of them...and the first half of my DP. And of course snatching my blanket back from my buddy. I'm not fauxin around.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:17 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ninetres
I let my friend borrow my turbo blanketand he said he couldn't really tell a difference in spool time. But he sees 8 spi in a heartbeat with his stalled TH400 and a T76. I'm sure it helps A LITTLE in under hood temps, but he hasn't measured.

FWIW: I am getting my hot parts ceramakrome coated, and wrapping all of them...and the first half of my DP. And of course snatching my blanket back from my buddy. I'm not fauxin around.
Hmmm heard mixed opinions about coating and wrapping... I think if you wrap you will cook off the coating.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

no before and afters..but i took the temp of the piping with the wrap and it was 200 degrees cooler than the piping without
Old 09-24-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can tell you wrapping my crossover I picked up almost 3 psi of boost, no WG changes. It also made a drastic difference in radiated heat. I can touch my hand on the crossover immediately after shutting the car off and not get burned.

I don't have much data on coatings, but I believe if you car wrap some hot part it would be better than coating.

Last edited by bowtieman81; 09-24-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
I can touch my hand on the crossover immediately after shitting the car off and not get burned.
...Huh? Sounds painful
Old 09-24-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bird-Of-Prey
...Huh? Sounds painful
Man, let me tell you it is, but well worth it!
Old 09-24-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by longrange4u
Hmmm heard mixed opinions about coating and wrapping... I think if you wrap you will cook off the coating.
Anybody heard anything about this? This would not be a good thing but I don't see it happening. I believe the coating is good for well over 1000*. I might be wrong but if not I would hope my headers don't get that hot.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heard mixed opinions about coating and wrapping... I think if you wrap you will cook off the coating.
I learned this by mistake - I wrapped the collector area of my ceramic coated Hooker SuperComps, and it had visible surface rust and very little ceramic left under the wrap when I checked after 5 months. Everywhere else was fine, except 1 other spot - where I put a 1"-wide loop (and hose clamp) of 2 layers of header wrap for insulation near the Upper Control Arm. Again the wrap over coating broke down the ceramic and rusting set in.

So wrapping over the coating and then driving with it = rust and ceramic breakdown, pretty quickly.

Over uncoated mild or stainless tubing the wrap works great.

The wrap is also very useful for sound control on your whole system. Damps any ring and a lot of the high-frequency exhaust tones.

There are good wrap pix (over mild steel exhaust, mufflers) and a couple tips at my site, 3/4 down.

Jim

My Site: http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/id1.html

Last edited by DeltaT; 09-24-2006 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya, I suppose I should have mentioned that my crossover is not coated with anything, not even painted.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Turbo blanket doesnt really do much except protect stuff near the turbo. Wrapping the crossover etc does help a lot though especially in rear mount cars.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CHRISPY
Turbo blanket doesnt really do much except protect stuff near the turbo. Wrapping the crossover etc does help a lot though especially in rear mount cars.
Lower underhood temps FTW...not to mention my rurbo is inches from the radiator.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Banned

Im having my headers(manifolds?) coated..cuz they cost me 900$ to have made..but im going to wrap everything else.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i coated and wrapped everything i could. works great. but i dunno how it would work without it. i wouldn't want to know how it works without it
Old 09-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Wrapping lowers your underhood temperatures by trapping the heat near your wrapped part. Some people have problems with this because the heat of the wrapped part increases enough to burn off protective coatings. (hence exposing bare areas to moisture and creating rust and such)

I suppose if your wrapped parts (like your headers) can take it, then you could do it.

I personally wouldn't put this on my car, but don't listen to me; I drive a drinky little import around

It's give and take
Old 09-26-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Found this on another forum. I think the underhood temps would be more important to me. What do you think besides the fact he needs to learn how to spell?

" Wraping is well worth the effort and can produce HP for sure. Although even though it keeps heat of the engine bay wraping the Downpipe it can hurt performance, everything else it helps. The turbo works from a pressure diffarental across the turbin wheel, Hot gas on one side and cooler gas on the other is what makes it turn. For best performance you want to keep it as hot as possible before the turbo & cool it off right after it leaves the turbo and this makes the most defferance between the pressure on each side to give the best performance out of the turbo(quicker spool higher boost ability) . You have turbulance after it leaves the turbo so you want to keep the pipe the same size it comes out of the turbo for about 2" to 10" so that the gas gets strighten out and flows smoothly. Then you can expand the pipe to a larger size & this expantion helps cool the gasses to help with the pressure between pre & post turbo. But if under hood temps are extreem and the DP needs wraped just to help this problem out its not like it kills HP it just can make more power by leaving it uncovered to let it cool."
Old 09-27-2006, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bird-Of-Prey
What do you think besides the fact he needs to learn how to spell?
FWIW, I've encountered a number of times that hot gases flow better than cold gases, thus I don't understand that guys desire to cool down the gases right after the turbine wheel. Yes, hot gases will want to expand and cool gases would take up less space, but the overall idea is just to get the exhaust flowing as quickly out as possible to offer the least amount of back pressure. I say keep the gases hot, flowing quickly, and keep the underhood temps down!

Oh yes, and I agree that he could learn to spell better.

Quick Reply: Wrapping hot parts