Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

must see my new project car 1991 trans am 388 stroker

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 05:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default must see my new project car 1991 trans am 388 stroker

well i recently baught a 1991 trans am and its either a GTA or a ws6 the wheels say ws6 plus a emblem inside that says performance suspension package either way i got the car for $800 bucks with a 4.10 gear and a turbo 350 trans the body is good shape just a primer fender and door no dents soon to be painted .so enough talk here it is sorry its so dirty its been in the garage for about 2 months now

And now for the hear of this beast it started life out as a 350 4 bolt main and ended up being this
a 388 stroker

the mods to the motor go as following
400 crank
flat top pistons
5.7 rods
comp cam 292-duration and 501 hydraulic cam
vortech heads 2.02 1.60 valves
double roller timing chain
edlebrock ram air gap intake
holley 750 cfm carb
nitrous 100 shot wet kit
turbo 350 trans
4.10 gear
3500 stahl convertor i think it should be a real strong running car im hoping it runs mid 12s and be a full body car meanign i can drive it on the street also thats a big part of me buying this car so what you guys think and if you have any ideas of what it may run let me know thanks for lookgin guys and girls
Old 09-25-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as its a solid car...looks like you have a good starter project.

It can be a GTA AND a WS6 car... Do you have the RPO sticker thats in the center console still?? That will tell you for sure if its a WS6 car. Im not sure what the RPO is for the GTA...but I doubt its a GTA. Besides missing the obvious badges, I think GTAs got 140 speedos, and a few other differences. If its a GTA...someone ruined a good car. If its a WS6...then you have thicker sway bars, and better springs I think. It would be a good base to start with.

Good luck!
Old 09-25-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

nice project keep us updated
Old 09-25-2006, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

im goin to run the rpo code and vid today when i find a good place to do it to find more out on it i belive its a ws6 and the car used to be a actually race car.i got it off a friend who also had a stroker in it but was built more than ours .its in solid shape but all badges is removed from the car so ill let you guys know more this evening
Old 09-25-2006, 12:50 PM
12 Second Club

even if it was a gta how did someone ruin it.. its still all stock for now
Old 09-25-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Chris... No offense meant by me saying someone runied it... What I meant was...GTAs are getting to be fairly prized. The fact that it got to the point that its at now... Its like finding a COPO camaro that someone put a 305 in and put mis matched fenders on. Yeah...way smaller scale...but still. haha. This is also coming from a 3rd gen guy..who's favorite cars of all time are teh GTAs...so I might be a bit biased Again...nothing bad meant by what I said. Atleast she isnt in a junk yard, and you are putting a bad *** motor in her. And you will have fun in the process... thats what its all about.

That'd be cool if it was a GTA. WIth alittle bit of elbow grease and some paint you could make it look pretty good again. If that motor is stout it would be a slick ride! One thing I LOVED, and still do, about my 87 WS6 was the handling. Even with worn out struts, and tie rods, and steering box and who know what else, that thing still handled like it was on rails. My car was a 305 TPI car...so there was MORE than enough handling for the power.

Are you planning to really fix the car up? or just make it presentable and driveable?? Just curious on your ultimate plans for her. Oh and I forgot to ask...did you pick her up with no drivetrain? noticed the front end sitting up a bit. If you did...atleast that part of the job is done!

Justin
Old 09-25-2006, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

yes ghettocruiser i did pick it up with no drivetrain in it the guy took his motor and trans out of it to put in a monte carlo .i know the gta are rare these days and i didnt mean to sound like smart *** in that last post so im sorry if i did..any way im goin to totaly restore this car ground up i figure im puting a new motor in and trans and rear so i might as well go all out ..soon to put a 9 inch rear in it and rebuild the trans .im goin to go back with the stock color paint which i belive is a charcoil metallic .then im thinking of putting in some new leather seats and maybe digital gauges.thinking of puttin rims on it but i love the stock honeycombs so maybe ill just get them repainted or powdercoated .i have big plans for this car im like you on that i love the older bodystyle so much .maybe its because you dont see many of them thats nice most are beat to death and rusted .the motor should make a great street and strip car it should be around 420 on all motor and then the nitrous to spice it up a lil bit.so i figure it will take about a year to do everything i plan on doin but it will a nice car and thats the main thing .and when i do get it on the road you can be sure they will be some nice vids on here of me grinning ear to ear when that cam just goes thumpty thump
Old 09-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Launching!

I highly doubt it being a GTA Chris. I had never seen it till just now, good project car. Should work on it all winter and get it ready to roll out in the spring!

And if you ever need help, just ask me.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

nice project you have there iv done everything your about to do there a lot of work lol if you need any help or questions let me know.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:10 PM
12 Second Club

well i just did a carfax on it and it brings up this
Year/Make/Model: 1991 PONTIAC FIREBIRD TRANS AM/GTA
Body Style: HATCHBACK 2 DR
Engine Type: 5.0L V8 TBI
Manufactured In: UNITED STATES
Search Results: 6 records found in our database

so maybe it is a Gta i wasnt concerned at first what it was then a few ppl was like they are rare so i got the bug and trying to find out but the previous owner debadged it and it hasnt got no rpo code for me to double check
Old 09-25-2006, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

a '91 hardtop GTA with a L03(305tbi) thats odd

congratz on the new project. I had an 88 GTA for a couple months, wish I would have keep it
Old 09-26-2006, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Chris... Ive never heard of a TBI GTA.... Im pretty sure they were all TPI motors. The only thing I can think of is that carfax doesnt have the term TPI in their system. Since its only specific to a few handful of years...and most people probably dont know what it means anyway. The term GTA gets thrown around loosely when referring to the 87-92 Trans AMs.

Go here. www.gtasourcepage.com

Everything you ever wanted to know about GTA cars...and a small forum with some pretty knowledgable people. You wont find much useful tech over there unless you are a newbie to cars..but there is a ton of great GTA specific info. If you give them your VIN...they might be able to help ya more.

However... That would be awsome if you had a rare bird!! Not tryin to be a party pooper

Did alittle homework for ya.. Did you find the RPO sheet in the center console? If not..t.he 91 - 92 cars had them in the LH rear storage compartment. You need to look for the code "Y84". That is the end all beat all. "Y84" is the code for GTA. Should atleast have teh WS6 one...and hopefully the "Y84" on there somewhere. Also on that site that I gave you is a RPO decoder. Jot down all the codes on that label and plug them in and see what options the car came with. Its like a mini build sheet...

The VIN wont tell you if its a GTA because all GTA were essentially Trans AMs. There is no difference between say a 88 GTA and an 88 Trans Am VIN except for the production number. The pontiac historical society can use the vin and track it down...but it costs $35... Best bet is to hope the RPO sheet is in the car.

Like 85 firebird said...if you need any thirdgen advice...there are a few of us around this board that will be happy to help!

Justin
Old 09-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Chris... Ive never heard of a TBI GTA.... Im pretty sure they were all TPI motors.

Your pretty sure cause its right. GTAs only had a TPI, either the 5.0 or the 5.7. I read somewhere that in the 90s they only came with the 5.7. How true that is, I don't know.

Me and Chris was talking about it and as far as we can tell it could be a GTA, but we know for sure its a WS6 car. I think I am as curious as he is on the GTA deal haha. I hope it is, cause it would be pretty sweet.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Heck yeah it would be! Im not sure ont he 5.7 thing either... I thought they were just always TPI...could be 5.0 or 5.7. The 5.0 cars could get the T5 manual trans... but the 5.7 cars almost always got the auto. I think a few squeaked out with a manual... again...dont quote me.

Justin
Old 09-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Teching In

The body does look like a GTA (with the vented hood and wrap-around rear spoiler, but those could have came from another car as well. I'm pretty sure that the GTA came standard equipment with a 150mph speedometer and leather seats, though. The GTA was also tuned-port injected, and never throttle body, although CarFax is often wrong on quoting things like that.

Besides the obvious tell-tale gold GTA badges, the GTA had a different hood with vents in the front and rear, a wrap-around rear spoiler, different tail lights (black crosshatched with small amber or red turn signals) and gold diamond-spoke 16" wheels. All GTAs had a WS6 suspension.

Also, the 5.7 litre engine was only available with an automatic transmission.

That does look like a great project though, and for $800 I'm frickin' jealous! Nice play! Looking forward to seeing more info on this as you build it up.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

Check out this web site! Has tons of GTA info
Old 09-28-2006, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

Check out this web site! Has tons of GTA info

http://www.gtasourcepage.com/

And here is the page that will tell you about how to find out if you have a GTA or not

http://www.gtasourcepage.com/Authentication.html
Old 09-28-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

should be cool!!!

-Matt