Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tapping a Forged Crank

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Need More N2O Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tapping a Forged Crank

Well i broke a arp crank bolt off at the start of the threads in the crank trying to take the bolt out, I am not going to be able to drill out the bolt and take a easy out to take it out. I have thought about just tapping the end for a 3/4" bolt and pinning the crank, I am looking for suggestions.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

That dosen't sound good I think you will have a balance problem amunge others
Old 10-04-2006, 04:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A couple of people have done what you propose, I also think a proper drill bit may be able to drill the ARP bolt. Did you have installation problems, why did it break upon removal?
Old 10-04-2006, 07:24 AM
Need More N2O Mod

The bolt bottomed out when i was tighting it up, and as i was taking it back out i had to use a little more force and it poped. last nite i tried tapping it with a decent tap and lots of cutting oil and all i got was teeth broken off the tap and no threads on the crank.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TOS98SS
That dosen't sound good I think you will have a balance problem amunge others
No balance problem with it being in the center of the crank.

Im thinking to fix it right your gonna have to pull it. A machine shop could drill it out in a mill. Not really any easy solutions to this problem. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lafngas98Z
No balance problem with it being in the center of the crank.

Im thinking to fix it right your gonna have to pull it. A machine shop could drill it out in a mill. Not really any easy solutions to this problem. Good luck.
Duh for some reaon I was thinking rod bolt
Old 10-04-2006, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

I had the same thing happen. Just drill and tap what's left in the crank. BTW 3/4 is jus a tad too small for cutting nice tight thread. I used a 7/8-9 with a 2 1/2 long bolt. I don't remember what wacky size drill bit it needs but I could find out. Hell if you decide to go this route I'll let you borrow my tap and I'll give you a bolt since I had to buy a whole box. This worked perfect and has held up with no problems for over a year.

PM me if you need more details.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:55 PM
Need More N2O Mod

Originally Posted by ILLWS6
I had the same thing happen. Just drill and tap what's left in the crank. BTW 3/4 is jus a tad too small for cutting nice tight thread. I used a 7/8-9 with a 2 1/2 long bolt. I don't remember what wacky size drill bit it needs but I could find out. Hell if you decide to go this route I'll let you borrow my tap and I'll give you a bolt since I had to buy a whole box. This worked perfect and has held up with no problems for over a year.

PM me if you need more details.
is your crank forged? the taps i have been trying just cant cut into the forged metal. I am going to call around to some local shops and see what they say.

but my problem is the truck cant really move with out a pulley on because of the battery wont keep the motor running. I cant pull the motor because i am living in a apt complex that doesn't like it when i have the hood up and i have no other place.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mwalls54
I cant pull the motor because i am living in a apt complex that doesn't like it when i have the hood up and i have no other place.
Tell them if you can't work on your car/truck - you can't get to work and therefore, pay rent.

Better yet, just tell them to get fucked!

Question - Have you tried drilling the bolt and using an ez-out?