Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Another cranks but wont start question 98ls1

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another cranks but wont start question 98ls1

Hi, i just got a 98 ss 6 speed camaro i purchaesd with 47k delieverd from Arizona Yesterday. the car fired right up off the transport. I shut off ..started up a few minutes later..drove up driveway about 900 feet. Shut off... restarted 10 minutes later and drove to in laws house (3 miles). left in laws with wife driving car drove home 3 miles....car stalls in our drive way( yes she had clutch in yes full tank gas ) would not restart ...just cranks and cranks. waited about 1/2 hour tried again no start.. just cranks .. i can hear fuel pump turn on for a couple seconds. today i checked spark while cranking with timing light...it shows spark that way. Hooked up fuel pressure guage ...swithched key on/off several times ... no fuel pressure...thought guage bad??? Pushed in shrader valve no fuel. Changed fuel filter...no pressure.... tried different key ...(vatts?) no start just cranks?? Bought a $150 code scanner... no codes...
questions..... if a vatts problem would car crank and have spark and fuel pump on ??? Ill need to get a noid light for injectors i guess??
In the short time i drove i noticed the coolant light was on in dash ?? but coolant level is ok in the radiator?? can this be part of it??
Researching in old posts re coolant temp sensors ..if this is problem would i still get spark with pump running but no pressure??
Crank positions sensor?? if bad would i be getting spark???
Engine ran strong for the 7 miles i drove it!! feels to have adequate compression when cranking.
can fuel pump be bad even though it makes what sound to me to "sound normal"(i have had several efi gm vehicles ..fairly sure pump "sounds" ok)
car had a dealer installed gm alarm(similar to stock alarm option) i armed and disarmed this thing every which way... i would think alarm wiould not alow to crank??
Owner says he never had issue with not starting( original owner ..very nice seems very honest)
I checked all fuses ...i read a couple posts regarding ign relay swap with starter relay ...but i am seeing spark ( at least inducted spark from my timing light) wiil try that..
ANY SUGGESTIONS ??? wife wants to castrate me for buying as it is... now with this problem shes even more pissed!!
Thanks
Old 10-15-2006, 12:30 AM
9 Second Club

My 98 shows low coolant, very common. When my fuel pump went out it still made noise although it was more of a grinding sound. I had fuel pressure but not enough, it should be at approx 58 psi.

Maybe someone put something in the tank and clogged the fuel filter sock on the pump? Was there any fuel at the filter? It sounds like it's going to be the pump or a clogged line.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the pump from what you say. Had the same thing happen to me with my pump, although it was a Walbro pump on mine. I can hear it whirring in the tank but nothing comes out. Took the pump out and bench tested it and it was the internals that had gone bad.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Default pump replacement

Mean green,Did you replace just the pump or the assy. with regulator etc?? How does stock pump come vs the racetronix etc??? Could the regulator just be stuck?? I would hate to put a new pump in ..reinstall only to have same problem because its the regulator!!
Old 10-15-2006, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Ok finally out of denial. the pump in my 98 ls1 camaro needs replacing. I have read about the cut a hole in trunk method. I do not want to do that. So looking at my shop manual i see it says you need to remove the rearend!! Is that necessary??? Can tank be removed without removing the rear?? Can i just lower the rear down(support car and let rear hang)?? 98 has the steal fuel tank if that matters.
Thanks
Ryan
Old 10-15-2006, 10:57 PM
Launching!

Yes, you got to drop the axle all the way down. Is not too bad if you get the car high in the air. Support the axle and undo the shocks and carefully lower the axle and take out the springs. You'll also have to drop the exhaust out as well, undo the lines, wires etc. I've done several pumps, some on my cars and several on my freinds cars. It's about a 3-6 hour job if you take your time. I'd never cut a hole in the trunk area that's just a hack job IMO .
Old 10-15-2006, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Default pump

Thanks!! I dont mind dropping down ...the manuals say REMOVE rearend 93-98 models. Glad to hear dropping down suffices. Do i need to remove lower control arms?? I agree hole is hack job!! Have you used a stock replacement pump assy?? Was it a complete unit or just pump?? I am worried about the regulator not being replaced at same time.If i go with a racetronix it looks like i reuse regultor??
Thanks
Ryan

Last edited by ssscamaro; 10-15-2006 at 11:26 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-15-2006, 11:27 PM
Teching In

do i need to remove lower control arms and torque arm to drop down far enough?? Just trying to guage time etc.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:11 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssscamaro
do i need to remove lower control arms and torque arm to drop down far enough?? Just trying to guage time etc.
Once you start it it will become obvious what needs to be removed. If I remember correctly I did not remove the LCA's or TQ arm. Here is a thread from some guy that replaced a metal tank pump by cutting a hole in the floor. Maybe it will help. Good luck.
http://home.comcast.net/~grayman99/Fuel-Pump.htm
Old 10-16-2006, 09:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ssscamaro
No need to remove the arms or the torque arm, you can let the axle hang all the way down by them. All the pumps I've done were stock replacements and I did the whole assembly (pump and sender) on most and just the pump on on my old 93 'bird. The fuel pressure regulator at the engine shouldn't be affected. I would also recommend replacing the fuel filter with a new pump. The only bad thing about getting a metal tank out is that you'll more than likely have to bend tank filler neck some to get the tank all the way out, again no real big deal. The things that have to come out are the rear part of the exhaust (catback) , panhard rods and the heat sheilds. Of course the fuel lines and connectors have to be released from the pump and make sure the tank is low or empty of gas. Once the tank is out the pump can be taken out easier. There is a lot to do but none of it is very hard, just take your time and pay attention to the details and you should be ok.

HTH
Brian
Old 10-16-2006, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

My 97'SS has a fuel relay under the driver's side floor kick panel. Not sure if the same on a 98', but you might want to check. If you do, it could be the problem.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

I would check the fuse and or relay before you buy a pump.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black_z
I would check the fuse and or relay before you buy a pump.
if he hears the pump come on, then it has power, so it isn't a fuse or relay
Old 10-16-2006, 06:25 PM
Teching In

i picked up a stock ac delco pump assy and a fuel pressure regulator repair kit today(the pump assy contains a everything..regulator,pressure switch,sender,pump ,tubings etc) reason i got the regulator seperate also?? Because i also ordered the racetronix/walbro pump kit. I will check everything over and probally end up using racetronix with the new regulator and return stock pump assy. However if i dont like the racetronix when i get it then stock replacement goes in and i will sell racetronix on here for what i paid. i will post back when its repaired hopefully be done by end of week.
Ryan