LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New to LT1 Group! Some questions if I may (Yes I read the stickied)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question New to LT1 Group! Some questions if I may (Yes I read the stickied)

So to start, since I've not quite figured it out yet (only had the car a few days), what transmission did the 93 FBody's come with? Is it a 4L60E or was it the last year for 700R4s? I was all ramped up to get the JET Shift Plus kit, but alas 94+ I have a nicely built 700R4 in my 91, if the 93 has that I suppose swapping that in would be better, or having a mild shift kit put in the current, if it is indeed a 4L60E. Once upon a time while working at a parts store I saw in the JET catalog for the 4L80E a 8 speed MANUAL valve body (**** you not!), anyone eve thought of swapping in a 4L80E? Or does the gearing just suck "intake donkey dong"?

I dig the Speed Density, since my old 91 had it, they're a gem to play with, but the retail mods seem to be a little far and few... Chips and the like... I did find a BDZL bin, but I need to find the ECM file, and since I programed a chip for my 91 and it worked awesome, I figured I'd do about the same for this. Anyone have the ECM dump?

Other than the lower control arms, what other swapable parts are there from my '91? Tranny mount? Obviously not front end stuff due to rack and pinion, but how about rear end bushings? I only ask because I was in the process of upgrading EVERY BUSHING on my 91 to Energy Poly's, so I have alot of nice bushings that I'd love to swap over to the 93 befor I sell the 91. Especially the tranny mount, so if that works, sweet deal!

SPEAKERS! Seems that a few are blown in this rig. Any one recomendations for not-too-expensive replacements? I have some older Pioneer 6x9 2-ways, but I don't know if I'll get the bass like the factory ones have. Is the 8 speaker setup the Bose? It currently has a new Pioneer MP3 deck, so I don't know what it had factory. The right front speaker is blown and the left front tweater seems to be also... :\ Are factory speakers recommended? Or maybe just factory tweaters? I don't listen to rap, so bass isn't ALL that big of a concern, but I do like it as an added touch to music. I like quality but I'm no audiophile.

Will the 3rd Gen rims fit on my 93? I have it in my sig already, but I don't have them swapped, because I'm not sure if they'll fit. Last I remember reading for 3rd gens using 4th gen rims was a spacer was needed or something of the like.

This 'Bird has 93,700 on the clock, anything I should be on the lookout for? I have to replace a O2 sensor, but if the Optispark hasnt been replaced, what are the signs that it might be getting weak or is going out? I read the B-body's is vented, or finned, something... Can I use that on mine, since it's not OBDII and all? I'm REALLY not looking forwards to replacing it, seeing as it's quuuuite expensive, but I'd rather know now, than have to dig later.

Has SLP exhaust I was told, and it sounds like it, but the muffler looks like your avg joe aftermarket, not the Loudmouth I saw on their site, either way it sounds nice. I have a receipt from 5-15-06 that at a dealer they did a full check up, it didn't pass emissions and the fans turned on at 189, well it had a Hypertech chip in it and a high flow cat, so they REMOVED BOTH >_< Now it has the stock chip and a stock cat, the question is this: is that Cat going to flow fine being only 6,000 miles old and factory? Minnesota has no emissions, so technically if I wanted I could remove it, if consensus deems that the best idea.

Sorry for the jumbled thoughts, kinda excited and confused on some things Don't go toooo rough on me, I'm just a n00b

Thanks!

Last edited by Formula350; 10-16-2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not very familiar with the 3rd gens... never had any interest. I believe the trans you have is called a 4L60 not 4L60E. From what I understand it is basically a 700r4, maybe someone else can shine some light upon that. speakers are a dime a dozen go on ebay.. 93 94 =obd1 = non vented opti spark, 95+ = obd2= vented, you can use the vented with adjustments, get rid of the cat unless you think it will be to loud...
things you should look out for is:
opti, you got that covered it sounds like
intake leak
a cam on a higher mileage LT1 could cause failure (cam bearings)
trans mount (very common problem)
the transmissions/rearends in our cars seem to not like horsepower/tq. to much above stock

sorry couldn't be more informant, hope this gets you a start tho
Old 10-16-2006, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

i had a 93 ta. trans is a 700r4 and i removed my cat worst thing i did.seen a dyno test somewhere they did on the cats it made 15lbs less tourqe and 6hp more at 6200 rpm (with out the cat) which is unuseable on a lt1. cat should be fine until you start making some serious power IMHO.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well hells bells. If it really is a true 700R4 (sensors, wiring, output shaft spline etc), I might as well just have my old one have a quick once-through and put in my new Bird. At least the tranny would have low miles then heh. I reaaaaaaly miss 2nd gear rubber no matter what Hopefully the O2 sensor being replaced helps, because so far it kinda seems doggy. And I've been driving a Corolla for the past year, so this should seem like greased lightning lol

I have much hope, buy I miss my TPI lol I acctually beat an LT1 6spd with my TPI Auto and 140K miles! I ported the living crap out of the upper plenum. Siamesed the runner outlets and siamesed the throttle body inlet. Would've taken the mono-design throttle body Plus my custom chip, SSSSCREAMED! *sigh* memories

I need to check my RPOs too to find out what gear ratio I have and what not. I was happy to see "WS6" when I was looking for the tranny code for the B&M electronic shift jobber.

Well I'm rambling again... Appriciate all feedback, "helpfull" or not
Old 10-16-2006, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I know this will throw some fuel on the fire..
1993 had a 4L60, every one I have seen factory had one. 1994 up has 4L60E.
1996 and up is OBDII, 1995 back is OBDI(very friendly to mods)
Get a Poly Trans Mount, I killed the stock one in 2 weeks of having the car.
I am running LT's 3" Exhaust with a Y-pipe, no Cat. Haven't had any problems, we have it set to run a little rich.

Quick question for ya though.. if you blew the motor in your old car, why not re-build it. That is what I am going through right now..
Old 10-16-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have had a motor for it for a long time, but it's a 79 2 peice rear-main. Needs a bit of work too (bearings, but there's only a few hours on the motor). But it has the right heads on it, and I got an LT1 cam for it, because that WAS my plan. Well long story short, my friend who's indebted to me, wouldn't help me put it in, and I don't have the tools or the space to do it, or a way to get it to a shop to even have them do it. Needless to say I'm really pissed at said "friend". It probably would've been cheaper to go with the other car, I agree. Thinking about it I really should've, I love that car, was my first 'Bird. This 93 was only $3800 though, so not ALL that bad I guess.

:\ Hind sight, etc etc heh

Can I use my 700R4 w/o issue then since mine isn't a E?
Old 10-16-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

i was assume your 4l60/700r4 (they are the same thing, just changed name in 91) would swap over ok but im not completely sure.

all rear suspension pieces will swap. only difference between a 3rd gen and a 4th gen rear suspension is actually just the length of the axel. the 4th gen rear is wider. which takes me to my next point, your gta wheels will not fit.

the cat wont really hurt you but i wouldnt run one if you put in headers later on.

hope this helps, welcome to the 4th gen world from a previous 91 L98 trans am owner. mine was gun metal grey, what was yours?
Old 10-16-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good good on the suspension parts, that's alot of money saved! Thanks!

DOH oh the rims I hate these factory ones >_< Guess I'll have to try and find some newer factory 5 spoke or something blarg. YOU RAINED ON MY PARADE!

My 91 is a SPITTING image of my 93 lol Red, Formula, WS6, 350, A4 heh. So I really did upgrade! I'm almost tempted to just try my TPI's chip LOL (no I won't don't worry)
Old 10-16-2006, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

As far as the Cats go, I heard one the other day that was pretty much stock with no Cat, and it sounded like ****. I told the guy that he needed it on there, it would sound better. He looked at me like I didn't know ****..
Wish I had my 'camaro, I would of shut him up real quick. I hate stupid people..
Old 10-17-2006, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

congrats on the purchase. trans is identical to the 700r4 except for a few minor details, should bolt right up cuz my friend had one on his 94 formula. only thing is that the speedo is cable driven so it didnt work and the trans isnt shifted by the ECM. check your RPO codes on the driver's door i think, GU5= 3.23 Gu2= 2.73. if you want to swap gears you have to recalibrate the speedo via plastic gears in the tranny rather than just have to ECM tuned for the gear change with 94+ cars. good luck with the Bird and if you have some 93 LT1 specific questions try speeddensity.org, the guys over there are pretty helpful.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

I see that this hasnt been said yet so......yes people have already swapped a 4L80E in cars.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Any worth to doing the 4L80E? Sadly I don't see that kit on JET's site :\
Old 10-18-2006, 12:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Not unless you have some SERIOUS power. The 4l80e swap is very involved so unless you really need it a built 4l60e or TH400 is what most people go with.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well I was just thinking if JET still made the 6spd manual valve body it'd be nice. Since I don't have the Electronic 4L60, I might as well just go with a 200R4 built up. I know a guy who can build them really damn strong. He built one for a Grand National that ran 10s for a handicapped guy heh

Quick Reply: New to LT1 Group! Some questions if I may (Yes I read the stickied)