Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Trouble keeping the boost down....?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 10:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Trouble keeping the boost down....?

Well i have a Tc76 that is going on a 355 LT1... problem is i only wnt to run 6psi at first.. then 8...then 10 (maybe)... ya know how it go's.

But the issue is that I have a JGS 40MM wastegate and I dont think it will be able to keep it that low.

Anyone have any thoughts? I want to address the problem before it becomes one.

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran a no-frills deltagate on my lt1 T72 dumped to atmosphere and never had a boost control problem. I was running around 8-12psi most of the time. I think you will be fine if you give it good access to the exhaust flow and dump it to atmosphere (not street legal).
Old 10-17-2006, 10:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 40mm will not have a problem, and its a piston driven gate, not the usual diaphram so it will respond very quick.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:57 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
The 40mm will not have a problem, and its a piston driven gate, not the usual diaphram so it will respond very quick.
question is will it flow enough? And will it flow enough to keep the turbo at 6psi not being dumped?

I bought the larger turbo so when I put in the forged low compression SBC I wouldn't have to buy another turbo.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Launching!

I was running a 74gts on a 355 with stock cam and unpoirted heads and it would hold it down as low as 9-10 psi which is what the spring I was running was set for... never tried it lower then that as I did the motor and turbo setup same time since I had a head gasket go on the previous setup and coolant got in the oil.

7-8 psi max on a stock lt1 shortblock unless ya have the money already for the new shortblock. cause it will blow and being a new setup its just all too easy to pop one from dabbling with a boost controller for the first time.. it happens quick like and and in a hurry!

Chris
Old 10-17-2006, 04:17 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by lcvette
I was running a 74gts on a 355 with stock cam and unpoirted heads and it would hold it down as low as 9-10 psi which is what the spring I was running was set for... never tried it lower then that as I did the motor and turbo setup same time since I had a head gasket go on the previous setup and coolant got in the oil.

7-8 psi max on a stock lt1 shortblock unless ya have the money already for the new shortblock. cause it will blow and being a new setup its just all too easy to pop one from dabbling with a boost controller for the first time.. it happens quick like and and in a hurry!

Chris

Well i am currently buildign a forged low compression SBC

But look at my location... the static elevation is almost 5000 feet. So the ambient atmospheric pressure is almost 2lbs less than someone at sea level. So 8lbs here is like 6 there.

So I figure it will take 6-8 like nothing especialy considering this LT1 only has 10,000 mile on the motor. I figure it will pop this summer a the strip when i start to really beat on it. Think they will warrenty it (it has one)??? HAHA
Old 10-17-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

You'll be fine with that WG. I used to run 3psi(ebc off, WG spring only) with my T-76 using a 38mm deltagate. Your WG is much bigger/better, just make sure you have the lightest spring installed first.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:29 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SUPER DAVES Z
You'll be fine with that WG. I used to run 3psi(ebc off, WG spring only) with my T-76 using a 38mm deltagate. Your WG is much bigger/better, just make sure you have the lightest spring installed first.

that is another question... I will have the eBoost2... so what spring would i want to put in there? The lightest one like you said?
Old 10-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Launching!

from my experience and i may be wrong but I don't think you can go down in boost only up with a boost controller so you use the spring setting you want for your base pressure and the EBC can add pressure on the top port of the wastegate to increase the spring seat pressure which holds the gate shut longer and pulses to maintain a specific boost setting.. so yes go with your base pressure.. if 8psi is what you want, I would try maybe a 6-8 pounds spring and fine tune it with the eboost2.

Chris
Old 10-18-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lcvette
from my experience and i may be wrong but I don't think you can go down in boost only up with a boost controller so you use the spring setting you want for your base pressure and the EBC can add pressure on the top port of the wastegate to increase the spring seat pressure which holds the gate shut longer and pulses to maintain a specific boost setting.. so yes go with your base pressure.. if 8psi is what you want, I would try maybe a 6-8 pounds spring and fine tune it with the eboost2.

Chris

Yep!! I just ran the lightest spring I had in the WG and used the EBC to increase boost. The eboost will work great, but go light on the wg spring. I know that on my buddies turbo cobra, by just installing the eboost with the 0 setting, his car was seeing 1-2 more psi than with the vacuum lines hooked straight into the wg.

Either way, your wg is plenty big to keep the boost down.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:12 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SUPER DAVES Z
Yep!! I just ran the lightest spring I had in the WG and used the EBC to increase boost. The eboost will work great, but go light on the wg spring. I know that on my buddies turbo cobra, by just installing the eboost with the 0 setting, his car was seeing 1-2 more psi than with the vacuum lines hooked straight into the wg.

Either way, your wg is plenty big to keep the boost down.

K that is awesome news. I was afraid 6 psi would jsut be to low to get a T76 with only a 40mm wastegate that ISN'T dumped

guess I will see what happens...
Old 10-18-2006, 06:23 PM
Launching!

I think it will work fine. Those new gates that they are selling are extremely high flowing.

Quick Reply: Trouble keeping the boost down....?