Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Torsen busted? Symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torsen busted? Symptoms?

For about 30K now my torsen has been clunking when coming to a stop. I had it inspected at 50K and the fluid changed only to be told that it's normal because it's a cheap posi unit. Now I'm at 80K and it's gotten worse. It bangs pretty hard when shifting from 2-1 while stopping, clunks hard when getting back on the gas while turning, and knocks accelerating from 1-2 and 2-3. So is it shot? I have read tons of posts about these things making noise, but how do you know when they are toast? Mine is only a V6, so I figured I wouldn't break it, but maybe I did. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:22 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of people complain of the ol' one wheel peel syndrome (while doing a burnout, only one wheel turns instead of both). If you actually break it, though, you'll take out other stuff in there (usually the ring and pinion). Mine is clunking worse and worse, although it visually checked out okay.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:04 PM
12 Second Club

check the u-joints? also check your transmission mount. that being shot will cause a clunk noise/feel.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I busted mine and my gears were unharmed. I stripped one of the little worm gears in the carrier. Change it out now, before it leaves you stranded. If I can find a rebuilt kit to rebuild the carrier then I will. Anyone know of a carrier rebuild kit?
Old 10-17-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Regular

my has a messed up worm gear in it right now I didn't find any big chunks so I put it back together this was back in march when my car was stock. I didn't fix it since it still drives and I'm saving for a 9in and don't want to put any money into a 10 bolt. Right now with the current mods its a one tire fire(90% of the time) all the way thru 3rd. but it drives fine and makes no noise and I abuse every so often.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:28 AM
Launching!

For the most part mine will still spin both tires especially in the rain...it's only a one-wheel wonder once in a while. I am going to check the u-joints and tranny mount. If they look fine I'll change the rear end fluid. If I don't see any major metal chips I'll just live with the noise. Hopefully it won't leave me stranded.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:54 AM
12 Second Club

Its probably the posi. Thats what mine did & I wouldn't be suprised if it has pinion marks in the posi case from jumping off the ring gear. Mine did. I was still able to drive it for a long time, but it just kept gettin worse. Here is a pic of what mine looked like when it got pulled. My pinion gear was ate up also.

Cheap fix for me was to buy a used rear & set of gears then had it rebuilt at a locla shop for about $200. I had not even $500 in gettin all the parts & the rebuild done.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:07 AM
Launching!

Bib Mike...what noises did you have when that happened? Did it do anything to let you know the carrier was broken? Man that looks like it would make a helluva racket!
Old 10-18-2006, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Made the exact noise you described. I thought it was the u-joints, but after swappin my clutch, re-checking the poly trans mount & re-installing the driveshaft, we decided it was the rear for sure.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

i got a brand new torsen in the box i might be selling it
Old 10-19-2006, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

When we grenaded (First time at the track bad posi from the plant)the TrueTrac in our Moser it did the one-wheel-peel. After a few runs it went POP! and everytime he'd turn the damn thing might as well been a spool. Ofcoarse with slicks it would load up and POP and release tension. Bought a new TrueTrac and haven't had one problem after a "Real" R&P setup on the rear was performed...not that Cookie Cutter "I'll check one out of a hundred on the assy. line" Moser Factory CRAP! The preload on this thing was the worse I've ever seen....can you say a case spreader and a 3ft crowbar We decided to re-bearing everything and washout the housing because of the metal pitting all of the races. The wormgears were torn to shreds in the old TrueTrac.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:02 AM
Launching!

I am still not 100% sure mine is completely trashed. It is smooth around corners under power and coasting...it only clunks once in a turn when I get back on the gas. Otherwise it clunks when putting it in reverse, decels when the tranny shifts from 2-1, and gentle accels when it shifts from 1-2 and 2-3. These are all single clunks. It sounds like when the worms are stripped you get multiple clunks around corners. I have to pop the cover off and see what's going on to know for sure.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:02 AM
Launching!

I finally got around to checking everything out underneath the car. Here is what I found...

The trans mount is ok, not broken at all. It has some small spider-web like cracks around it but it's still holding on pretty well.

The torque arm bushing is toast...it's all hollowed out around the torque arm and the rubber is falling apart. Would that cause the rear end to clunk on shifts?

There also was a little play in the u-joint and tailshaft on the trans. It was very minimal and probably expected after 80K.

I didn't have time to remove the rear end cover, but when I rotated the tires there was no noise from the rear/posi.

Based on what I found, any idea what the problem could be? Keep in mind the clunk is only on upshifts 1-2 and 2-3, and downshifts 2-1 coming very distinctly from the rear of the car, not the tunnel/hump. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Torque arm bushing will definitely make a bunch of noise...replace it with a polyurethane piece and it will be a lot better.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:28 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

If you have yet to swap the stock trannie mount with a poly do that now too. They blow apart all the time. I doubt very much you have any torsen issues it sounds like the tqa mount. They work on transfer during accel or decel.

As for the guy at the top saying Torsens are junk?

Sure...
Old 10-25-2006, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the input guys. So it sure seems the rear end clunking is from the t/a bushing. I would go with poly there, but I hesitate on the tranny mount because I hear the vibration gets really harsh. I could throw a new rubber one in there anyway...

Yeah I wasn't sure it was the torsen...it clunks putting it in reverse from drive too, so the load transfer makes sense. I never thought a 3800 V6 would bust a 10 bolt anyway.

Quick Reply: Torsen busted? Symptoms?