LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help With "Baby" Crane 227 Cam??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With "Baby" Crane 227 Cam??

Hello Everyone: First of all, I just wanted to say what a great resource this website has been for me for the past few weeks while I have been researching for a custom project of mine. I am working on a jaguar xjs with a lt1/6m. The car from factory weight like 4850 pounds so, I am not racing it or anything like that. I just wanted something with a smooth powerband and like 330-350 horses for cruising with some torque. I have an engine/tranny all lined up from a member on here. It will be sitting around for a couples of months so I figured I mine as well work on it while it is out soo... It has like 65K on it but I am going tear into it while is it out. Replace gakets, seals, opti, yada yada. I am also going to do the standard bolt ons - ewp, 160 thermo, cai, headers with hot jet coating (but they are shorties because of the jag cabin), 2 1/4 true duals, tune etc... So I was think of the baby cam (crane 227) because I am not racing it, and I am more cocerned with streetablity and handling than straight speed because there are always guys faster. There is great info in the site but not too much of what valvetrain to mate to this cam to because most go with a more agressive cam, so any help would be helpful. For instance, what type of rr (I was thinking 7/16 stud non aligning rockers and guideplates and perhaps lt4 springs, since I have no plans for high horse/torque or spray desire) So any info would be great, Aaron.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

I'm sure you will get some good info here, but you might also consider giving the Crane tech line a call.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Why not just throw in the same valvetrain as those who use bigger cams? There is nothing wrong with putting better valve train parts on your heads.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Teching In

I guess I could just use the same train as bigger cams, but I just don't want it to be like "killing a fly with a bazooka." I would just like to mate it with the proper parts?
Old 10-18-2006, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

i have the crane 227. im going bigger though comp503 most likely or something custom but close to that. the crane227 is a great daily driver with a pretty smooth idle and it will make the car sound pretty loud. its real streetable and makes good power all the way through. personally i already got tired of the power and im in need for some more. the 227 is probably one of the smallest cams you can get for the lt1 so since you're not going to be racing it will probably work just fine for you.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks, what type of rr, springs, etc did you use?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

What is the specs on that Cam, for the hell of it..
Old 10-19-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by asandman44
Hello Everyone: First of all, I just wanted to say what a great resource this website has been for me for the past few weeks while I have been researching for a custom project of mine. I am working on a jaguar xjs with a lt1/6m. The car from factory weight like 4850 pounds so, I am not racing it or anything like that. I just wanted something with a smooth powerband and like 330-350 horses for cruising with some torque. I have an engine/tranny all lined up from a member on here. It will be sitting around for a couples of months so I figured I mine as well work on it while it is out soo... It has like 65K on it but I am going tear into it while is it out. Replace gakets, seals, opti, yada yada. I am also going to do the standard bolt ons - ewp, 160 thermo, cai, headers with hot jet coating (but they are shorties because of the jag cabin), 2 1/4 true duals, tune etc... So I was think of the baby cam (crane 227) because I am not racing it, and I am more cocerned with streetablity and handling than straight speed because there are always guys faster. There is great info in the site but not too much of what valvetrain to mate to this cam to because most go with a more agressive cam, so any help would be helpful. For instance, what type of rr (I was thinking 7/16 stud non aligning rockers and guideplates and perhaps lt4 springs, since I have no plans for high horse/torque or spray desire) So any info would be great, Aaron.
I didn't think the Jag XJS was a 4800 pounder, but all up with a few pasengers it certainly could be. That puts it in Impala SS territory. You might ask those Impy guys, but very few run the M6.

If I were changing cams with your setup, or putting an M6 in my '96 Impy, I'd go for a flat torque curve starting just below 2000, where you'l be launching and cruising. A 3.7+ final drive would be useful. The stock Impy cam makes torque there, but if you upgraded the valvetrain bits as suggested above, you could have a custom cam make for your application. I see it with more lift than the stock or Impy cam, but very conservative overlap and duration.

MY $.02
Old 10-19-2006, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

check my sig. 1.6 crane rockers, comp beehive springs, stock lifters and pushrods.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Teching In

ttt...
Old 10-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Teching In

up up up

Quick Reply: Help With "Baby" Crane 227 Cam??