Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Vaccum pump users question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 07:30 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vaccum pump users question.

I have a vaccum pump on my motor and i run about 10in of vaccum.Are you guys having a problem with spraying oil all over on a wide open run? Ive put a plate in the valve cover for a deflector but i don't think it's enough.This is getting to be very messy and every pass we have to wipe it down under the hood.Any input on this problem would be great.BTW i run sheetmetal valvecovers with a soild roller.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:38 AM
10 Second Club

I did this so if i wanted I could run a vaccum pump later if needed and not worry about pulling oil
Old 10-18-2006, 06:50 AM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Man i didn't even think of going there.I wonder if it won't pull oil.Has anyone tryed it there?That looks like thats the spot to go
Old 10-18-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Question If..

Originally Posted by tuff
I have a vaccum pump on my motor and i run about 10in of vaccum.Are you guys having a problem with spraying oil all over on a wide open run? Ive put a plate in the valve cover for a deflector but i don't think it's enough.This is getting to be very messy and every pass we have to wipe it down under the hood.Any input on this problem would be great.BTW i run sheetmetal valvecovers with a soild roller.
You have the 10" vac, and are still pushing oil out, it sounds like a very hi crankcase PSI problem. So much so, that it's considerably higher than the 10" you are pulling.
Do you have a vac/pressure gauge that can be seen at WFO?? IE: tape it on the w/s, and make a run.
If so, I'd take a look at the numbers.
I'd also run a leakdown, and a compression test. Could be you killed some rings??
Do you see where the oil is coming from?
Maybe put some dye in the oil, and take a look w/ a black lite, after a run. That should give an indication of where it's coming from...
Old 10-18-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can make a baffle that will eliminate that problem, I did. The problem I found after was that the baffle worked too well, and it completely starved the vacuum pump of lubrication that eventualy locked up. What I'm going to try next it to drill a small hole in the baffle to allow a controled amount of oil to flow through the pump. The baffle I made was "chair" shaped. It came down from the valve cover, under the fitting, and down again-as low as my Jessel rocker shaft. Don't know if you can visually picture it, but if you like I can e-mail you a picture when I get home.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:32 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Originally Posted by silent1
You can make a baffle that will eliminate that problem, I did. The problem I found after was that the baffle worked too well, and it completely starved the vacuum pump of lubrication that eventualy locked up. What I'm going to try next it to drill a small hole in the baffle to allow a controled amount of oil to flow through the pump. The baffle I made was "chair" shaped. It came down from the valve cover, under the fitting, and down again-as low as my Jessel rocker shaft. Don't know if you can visually picture it, but if you like I can e-mail you a picture when I get home.
Yea id like to see what you did.Old geezer my motor is fresh and i did do a leakdown in a couple of cylinders and my motor bleeds off minimal.I have heard that people that run a vaccum pump on a ls1 have had problems like im having.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Are the oil and electric vacum pumps? I was looking into one myself cause I only pull about 10in of vacum also. I put a vacum canister on and it helped considerably
Old 10-19-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are pics of my valve cover and the baffle I was telling you about. The notch was made to clear the Jessel shaft. I used some red paint to make sure the valvetrain clears the baffle. I'm going to try and drill a small hole where the pushrod "meets" the baffle so I don't lock the pump again. This should solve my problem of the oil mess.
Attached Thumbnails Vaccum pump users question.-valve-cover.jpg   Vaccum pump users question.-valve-cover-ii.jpg  
Old 10-19-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

It may not seem like there's much room to pull vacuum through, but I was seeing 12" vacuum.

Last edited by silent1; 10-19-2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:17 PM
10 Second Club

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0475&langId=-1

he is a oil to air seperater. If you have a tank like mine couldnt you put a fitting in were the drain is at on the bottom and run it back into the oil pan
Old 10-19-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

You don't want it to drain back into the oil pan. Have you ever looked inside of an oil catch can? You don't want that milky oil going through your engine.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:07 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Im going to tap into the center valley cover.Thats were the prostock guys pull from so it must be a good location.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just curious. Do you know if the vacuum pump is doing you any good horsepower wise? Did you see and increase in power on a dyno or better track times? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Vaccum pump users question.