Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody ever swapped an ls1 in an OBD2 car in a state with emissions ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Has anybody ever swapped an ls1 in an OBD2 car in a state with emissions ?

in my state, if you car was built 1996 and after, you pass emissions not by sniffer but buy having the emission guy guy plug his scanner into your obd2 port.

How would that go for a car that has an ls1 swap ?

Anybody has dealt with this issue before ?
Old 10-19-2006, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

I have never had the experience but I think all they scan for is codes in the systm. For example, evap system leak or O2 sensor codes. So if you don't have any trouble codes in the computer, I think you should be ok. But then again, I don't know if the code scanner is vehicle specific.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In the state of GA they go by the chassis year so keep that in mine. If it's '95 or older then they will need to do the sniff test. If it's a '96 and newer, well, I've called them and haven't really gotten an answer about it when I was looking into a LS1 S10 swap project.

In my case, I'm putting a LS1 into a 240 and since it's a '91 I'll be doing the sniff test. If it was a '96 or newer 240 though I don't know how they'd be able to do the plug in test and have it come up with the VIN of the 240 so I don't know for sure, probably just have to have a sniff test done still but again, haven't been able to really have anybody answer that question for me when I called around.

Another thing to note is that don't put a 3/4 ton engine into a swap project that requires emissions either for they might consider that a heavier vehicle and will say it doesn't pass for those vehicles I think have a different standard for emissions or in the state of GA I dont' think 3/4 tons even get emission tested. Like the 6.0L motor, I wonder if that would be considered a no no to them since it's put in 3/4 tons but I don't know for sure on that part though. Just throwing it out there to mention it.

Here is some more info for you:

http://www.cleanairforce.com/engine.htm
Old 10-19-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TransAm Mania
I have never had the experience but I think all they scan for is codes in the systm. For example, evap system leak or O2 sensor codes. So if you don't have any trouble codes in the computer, I think you should be ok. But then again, I don't know if the code scanner is vehicle specific.
The big thing to consider on the plug in test is that they pull the VIN out of the computer and that's how they associate it with the car. It dials up to the state of GA, obviouslly I'm only speaking for the state of GA here since I've had experience with it, and it reports the data up to the state then. My concern on the swap project would be which computer are they plugging into and will it give the state of GA the correct VIN. Darn emissions has got to make doing a swap on a street legal car tough!
Old 10-19-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Leave your older computer powered up under the dash, with the connector still in place. Delete all codes so they don't pop up. All they will scan is the old computer with no codes, still old vin. Will this work?
Old 10-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Launching!

I'm putting an '02 LS6 into an '87 Mercedes. Nevada wants me to complete a document for them that shows all emisions equipment that came on the original car so that they can verify it's on my Benz. Then, from what I understand, it's the OBD II port for emissions "testing".

BTW, the tuner for your PCM can turn off the bad codes so they never show up, hypothetically speaking of course.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ted J
The big thing to consider on the plug in test is that they pull the VIN out of the computer and that's how they associate it with the car. It dials up to the state of GA, obviouslly I'm only speaking for the state of GA here since I've had experience with it, and it reports the data up to the state then. My concern on the swap project would be which computer are they plugging into and will it give the state of GA the correct VIN. Darn emissions has got to make doing a swap on a street legal car tough!

Are you sure ????

I'm in Georgia too ... Are sure they get the vin from the computer and NOT the car ?

In that case, I wonder if a person that tunes ls1 computers can put the VIN from YOUR CAR into the ls1 computer.....
Old 10-19-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know in Texas the state computer doesn't read or doesn't care about the VIN from the PCM. If it doesn't match, like if you got a replacement PCM and they didn't flash the right VIN into it, you still pass emissions.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My 99 Miata has a 98 LS1 PCM. OBDII plug in emissions checks are done here every two years. As long as there are no codes & PCM/engine is of the same emissions era as the car, you will pass. Should also mention that my car has cats, front & rear O2 sensors (no rear delete), EGR, air pump,...etc..
Old 10-19-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jfman
Are you sure ????

I'm in Georgia too ... Are sure they get the vin from the computer and NOT the car ?

In that case, I wonder if a person that tunes ls1 computers can put the VIN from YOUR CAR into the ls1 computer.....
I've watched them do the test a few times now, they plug it into the car and it pulls the information in regards to the VIN into the computer from the OBD plug from what I've seen. They fill in some data about the car but the VIN I'm pretty gets pulled via the connection.

I wondered about putting the VIN from the chassis into the LS1 computer but since my car is a '91 I gotta do the sniff test so I never looked into it.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Banned

New Jersey state inspection is so stupid that they listed my car as a PONTIAC TRANS SPORT on the inspection sticker and paperwork. I mean come on now, one is a minivan and the other is a sports car. If you know that little about vehicles, you shouldn't be driving, inspecting, and certifying them at a state facility, thats ridiculous.

So I guess my car past the OBD2 scan for a 98 Pontiac Transport....even though there was no Trans Sport in 98...I don't know, whatever lol, they better not give me a hard time about it next time around though.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TransAminal
So I guess my car past the OBD2 scan for a 98 Pontiac Transport....even though there was no Trans Sport in 98...I don't know, whatever lol, they better not give me a hard time about it next time around though.
OBD2 is an universal standard. No need for a special version unless you like to get info on things like Coolant level and Tire presure (on the Corvette as example) . That is the Data wich is understood by the Car's DIC.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by eagleuh1
Leave your older computer powered up under the dash, with the connector still in place. Delete all codes so they don't pop up. All they will scan is the old computer with no codes, still old vin. Will this work?
if only it was that simple

obd2 is the bane of my existence for emissions related things

you cant simply power up your old ecu, why? because if its JUST powered up, the ECU will know its not connected to anything, and throw a code.

that means you fail.

say you do power it up, and solder in some resistors onto a fake harness to make it think its connected to an engine. you still have to have the ecu go through what are known as readiness monitors.

what that means is the ecu has to go through what are known as "drive cycles" to set these monitors as "checked"

things like catalytic converter efficiency and a bunch others CANT be realistically tested till you have driven the car. most states its 3/4 readiness monitors as being "tested" by the ECU

most states will NOT care about the vin from the ECU, only the one on your door frame. you still need to have a working data port AND engine light in your gauge cluster.

OBD2 is a bitch and needs to die in a fire.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kamin

OBD2 is a bitch and needs to die in a fire.
Correction !
OBD2 Emissions testing is a bitch and needs to die in a fire.

OBD2 itself is great ! Handheld tuners, tune dowloads, live sensor readings on your pc, etc...
Old 10-21-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

yea...most manufacturers had that type of info available before the OBD2 standard, it just wasnt generalized and standardized.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted J
In the state of GA they go by the chassis year so keep that in mine. If it's '95 or older then they will need to do the sniff test. If it's a '96 and newer, well, I've called them and haven't really gotten an answer about it when I was looking into a LS1 S10 swap project.

In my case, I'm putting a LS1 into a 240 and since it's a '91 I'll be doing the sniff test. If it was a '96 or newer 240 though I don't know how they'd be able to do the plug in test and have it come up with the VIN of the 240 so I don't know for sure, probably just have to have a sniff test done still but again, haven't been able to really have anybody answer that question for me when I called around.

Another thing to note is that don't put a 3/4 ton engine into a swap project that requires emissions either for they might consider that a heavier vehicle and will say it doesn't pass for those vehicles I think have a different standard for emissions or in the state of GA I dont' think 3/4 tons even get emission tested. Like the 6.0L motor, I wonder if that would be considered a no no to them since it's put in 3/4 tons but I don't know for sure on that part though. Just throwing it out there to mention it.

Here is some more info for you:

http://www.cleanairforce.com/engine.htm
My 01 2500HD 6.0 does not have to pass any emmissions as the gross vehicle weight is over the minimum limit.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks, I thought you might be able to delete anything that would throw a code and just power it up. Learning.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently sold a 97 S10 Blazer that had an engine from a 2000 3/4 ton van swapped into it. It had all of the original emissions equipment from the Blazer, Evap Canister, gas cap, etc. It also had all of the emissions equipment from the van: Converters, EGR, etc.

Passed OBD2 3 years without any problems. Ran it on the smog dyno once. No problems noted. No codes.

You just need to build the vehicle to meet whatever requirements your local jurisdiction requires. Contact the state direct and they'll forward you to someone who can provide more information than just the web site.

My current project is a 2000 Blazer with a 6 liter crate motor, supercharger, headers, dual cats, single exhaust.

Here's what they said:

This modification can be done just as long as it is done professionally, meaning that the complete OBDII system from the 2003 Corvette is installed into the 2000 S10 Blazer. Both of these vehicles are OBDII compliant, but the emissions control systems components will be different. In other words, you can't use the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) from the Blazer with the Corvette components, because then you are going to have problems. The 2000 S10 Blazer more than likely came equipped with a V-6 engine and its PCM is designed to operate with this powertrain for the proper air/fuel mixture, etc. The complete wiring harness, PCM, etc, from the 2003 Corvette will need to be installed into the 2000 S10 Blazer and it sounds like the company that you have chosen knows how to properly install the complete system, so you shouldn't have any problems. The S10 Fuel EVAP system should be OK to use with the Corvette OBDII system, but please double check on this.

When your newly modified vehicle comes to an inspection station for an OBDII emissions test, the vehicle will still be tested as a 2000 model and the vehicle will be tested for proper Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) operation as well as the presence of any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) and the readiness monitor systems will also be tested. Please make sure that your company checks to make sure that the 2003 Corvette OBDII system is operating properly in your 2000 S10 Blazer after installation and that the readiness monitors are set to "Ready" and that there are no stored DTC's.

Just a note for you, around 2003, GM, Ford, etc, started using the next generation of OBDII systems and these systems are called Controller Area Network (CAN) systems. This system is a more sophisticated system and is now being used on a lot of 2004 and newer vehicles and it appears to be where the future is headed. The next system will be OBDIII and I'm sure that this system is right around the corner. Don't worry, your 2003 Corvette system is not CAN equipped, so just make sure that your company verifies that your 2003 Corvette OBDII system is operating to specs after installation to avoid any driveability problems as well as to avoid any DTC's or readiness monitor problems. If your MIL is commanded ON with a stored DTC, your vehicle will FAIL the OBDII test or if there are more than 2 readiness monitors set to "NOT READY", your vehicle will FAIL the OBDII test. The readiness monitors are indicators used to find out if emissions components have been evaluated. In other words, if all readiness monitors are set to "Ready", then the emissions components have been tested by the OBDII system. If any of the readiness monitors are set to "Not Ready", like the EVAP & EGR system for example, then those emissions components have not been tested yet by the OBDII system. If a readiness monitor runs to completion (Ready) and if a problem is detected during the evaluation, then a DTC will be stored in the PCM and the MIL will illuminate.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That will be nice if Lee actually ever finished your truck.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 93Polo
My 01 2500HD 6.0 does not have to pass any emmissions as the gross vehicle weight is over the minimum limit.
That's why I brought it up. If you had a knowledgeable person from the emissions in GA looking over the swap project then they would know that and the swap wouldn't be allow if you wanted to make it emissions legal. To my knowledge no 1/2 trucks got the 6.0L but I may be off on that. (unless you cound the 1500HD and then it's a question of if it's gross vechile weight is over the minimum limit or not) Since the engine looks so similar to the others most probably couldn't tell but depending on the year of chassis you put the engine into the big question would be if it would pass the sniff test or not.

Quick Reply: Has anybody ever swapped an ls1 in an OBD2 car in a state with emissions ?