New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up my ws6 and need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up my ws6 and need some advice.

i just picked up a 98 ws6 with 50k original miles. it has ls6 intake mani, gutted cats, and a n2o kit off a duramax deisel that im tryin to find smaller jets for (75,100,125). im wondering what mods to go with. i was told to get a power programmer, and take the air box off. along with headers. i was told the stock catback is fine for until i start getting serious...

what do you guys think. if you have any ideas on some good free mods or cheap ones id appreciate it.

also the car didnt come with an ownders manual...what oil should i use?

thanks for the help and advice guys!
Old 10-21-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first mod.. a lid. a lid is a lid is a lid dont ask whats better.
a cat-back, the stocker flows for ****
LONG TUBE ehaders, major gain
if its an A4, a stallc voerter and gears (3.73's)
if M6 a short throw shifter and 4.10's
Old 10-21-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

oh and dont dare buy a programmer. they are total and utter ****. a mail roder tune is far cheaper and will GAIN hp, not loose it like some handheld tuners do. cough cough hypertech cough.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Launching!

its a m6 sorry forgot to add...thanks!!! and where should i get the mail order tunes for the n2o system with the stock car. also...should i get a timing retard...or anything when i run nitrous or should i be good
Old 10-21-2006, 01:30 PM
Launching!

looks like tainted listed all the important ones. you'll see stupid big gains with LT headers and a tune, especially since you dont have cats. a lid is a must, should be the first thing you do. as for free mods...there are a few, some of which i wouldnt do. you could do a throttle body bypass if it doesnt freeze where you live. if youre happy with how your ws6 sounds right now, and im sure it sounds great w/o cats, id keep it for crusin around and get a cutout for racing. and o yeah...congrats on pickin up the ws6. that cars sick, my buddies got one, and i love it.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

mail roder tunes, they can be set up for nitrous cars so 2 for 1 deal there for you. pcmforless does it, along with madz28 I *think* and texas-speed does thema s well. they run roughly 250 bucks on an exchange rate but are worth every dime
Old 10-21-2006, 01:35 PM
Launching!

thanks guys i appreciate it! it does freeze over here. so no TB bypass for me.

would it be stupid to get headers before catback?

and can someone post a lid that has been proven to be good. i dont really want to buy something that people dont really like!
Old 10-21-2006, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get a set of LT's w/ORY & lid to start. Take it to the dyno & see where your A/F is @ WOT before sprayin it. You should be good & safe on a 100 shot on stock tune as long as your stock fuel system is operating good.

For the catback its pretty much personal choice. Some want all the power they can get, some like a good sound & don't mind losing a couple HP for it. Go to LS1sounds.com & take a listen to the different combos.

If you want power get true duals w/LT's.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

i bought an MTI clear lid for looks. they all perform the same. ghtp did a comaprison and allw ere within 1 hp of each other. pick one from looks. SLP seems to be popular cuz it fits tight and its cheapest. as for ehaders before a cat-back, not necessarily. but the cat-backw ould clog it up so id do it first.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

good choice, on the ws6 love the looks, also things to think of gettin a cooler stat, the airbox mod of course, maybe a cam down the road ls1's respond like crazy to headand cam packages.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

no ponit in getting a cooler thermostat. mdoern day engiens are made to rubn warm,. having the pcm tuned to ahve the fans come on earlier is more than enough
Old 10-21-2006, 02:37 PM
Teching In

as far as the lid goes its what u think looks best, i got the SLP on ebay cheap, get a cat-back, the stock is not that good on a 98 from what i have been told, don't get the flowmaster like me it sounds good but does not give u any power, i think im going to swap mine for true duals, for a free mod take the screen out of the mass air folw i have had mine out for 3 years and put about 25k on it since not one prob, people say its not a good idea but its after the the filter so i dont where a problem could occur, as far as the oil 5w30 is what the om says, brand is up to you i use pennzoil platinum, i might switch to royal purple,but i would def go with a syn.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Orange 02 WS6
as far as the lid goes its what u think looks best, i got the SLP on ebay cheap, get a cat-back, the stock is not that good on a 98 from what i have been told, don't get the flowmaster like me it sounds good but does not give u any power, i think im going to swap mine for true duals, for a free mod take the screen out of the mass air folw i have had mine out for 3 years and put about 25k on it since not one prob, people say its not a good idea but its after the the filter so i dont where a problem could occur, as far as the oil 5w30 is what the om says, brand is up to you i use pennzoil platinum, i might switch to royal purple,but i would def go with a syn.
sometimes little bugs and such somehow get by the filter, but the lnog term effects arent bad enough to stop most people to not de-screen it.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Well you can follow how I modded my WS6, first was a lid, SLP as it had a better fit than the others (from what I read here) then a TSP Rumbler cat back, has a nice loud sound to it, but alot cheaper than a Loudmouth, then some Sub frame connectors UMI got them on a group purchase from Byunspeed, went with a UMI short stick and Hurst shifter ****, then a set of Pacesetter long tubes and ORY, another sale from Byunspeed, then wheels from TomZwheels, and that's how it sits now, I debaffled and sealed the hood to the airbox on a weekend
I've modded it as time and money allow, so now it's a faster louder and IMO better looking car than the other black WS6 that runs around town
Old 10-21-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

My first mods were a new LID and Pacesetter LT's and custom True dual exhaust....

Just from puttin gonthe headers and lid, took her for a ride and I could immediately tell the difference. The engine rev's faster, there was more power....Plus it sounded like a drag car....LOL
But after I got the exhaust put on, she sounded sweet.....Ohyeah I dont have cats either....Hope this helps in some way...
Old 10-22-2006, 02:52 AM
Launching!

^ that is what i think i am going to do...and than have the nitrous all setup.. also gettin 80mm TB and bbk intake.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just decided to get the slp lid, very nice and goes with the ss theme (SLP logo on it). Bolt on wise I would go LT's, Lid, ported TB. What size jets do you have with the nitrous kit?

cat back is all preference and sound. For example, the flowmaster kit sounds great but flows worse than the others. I added a cutout, nuf said. Magnaflow sounds really good, is stainless and can be had for 400 bucks brand new. If hadn't got the flowmaster kit for 100 bucks I would have bought the maggy. Had borla on my 02 and it was pretty raspy.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Function>Form
^ that is what i think i am going to do...and than have the nitrous all setup.. also gettin 80mm TB and bbk intake.
dont do the bbk intake. it heat soaks sicne its sheet metal,, stick with an ls6 intake. its plenty for our cars, the only other intake would be the FAST but it only gets decent gains when you are turbo or bigger cubes
Old 10-22-2006, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

the most important mod is driver experience, so practice practice practice.
Lids, headers, cat back, intake manifold, true dual exhaust or cut outs, and so on...

Also tires will help to for a stock ws6 all the way up to bolt ons i would say nitto 555's all around, if you do a head cam package/ over 400 whp without nitrous than i would suggest nitto 555r tires for the rear.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:52 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Read the sticky's then ask questions!!!

Peace,
Craig.