Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

solid roller on the street??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default solid roller on the street??

Here's the deal..I bought a set of allpro (prostock) lsx heads about a year ago..I origanaly was going to put them on my race car..They are a raised runner head orted by HRD ,titanium valve,custom jesels bla bla bla you get the picture..Any ways I'm selling my race car and since noone want's to spend this kind of money on these heads I've decided to put them on my soon to be daily driver(zo6)..I had beck make me a sheet metal intake and all..

Any suggestions for the oiling system??I'd like to avoid dropping the coin on a drysump..I'm thinking of running the corvette ls2 pan with a remote fillter and regulator.What do you guys think?
Old 10-23-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you will have a problem running the solid roller on the street as long as you can keep oil on the lifters. I don't think it's the wisest thing to put it in a daily driver but you can do it, just avoid sitting in traffic for a long time.

Have you thought about accusump?
Old 10-23-2006, 05:07 PM
Banned

2 questions...

1. Was the valve job cut for only racing?

2. Why not just convert them to a mean hyd roller setup?

Bret
Old 10-23-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
2 questions...

1. Was the valve job cut for only racing?

2. Why not just convert them to a mean hyd roller setup?

Bret
I need to check on the valve job..I would assume so..

The reason for the solid roller is due t the fact these heads flow 380cfm @ 800 lift and 270 on the exh..@ 600 the only flow about 350 so it's kinda a waste to not run a solid roller..besides I want something diffrent..
Old 10-24-2006, 08:30 AM
Launching!

I guess the main question is that do you want to drive a car with a race cam and a power band that is higher up the rpm scale everyday.You will probably want to change the 342 gears for some 410,s.Sounds cool though.J
Old 10-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Banned

Well that something different is going to want to eat a lot of springs all the time with .800" lift NOT a good idea.

You can use this all on the street but there is no need for all that lift.

Bret
Old 10-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

could you do that with 680 to 700 lift?
Old 10-24-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the solid roller would be ok on the street. Just no more than like .675 lift.

And why would he have a problem of keeping oil on the lifters? Do hydraulic lifters supply more oil than equivelant solid rollers?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

having owned a soild roller daily driver, i can say that it sucks.

you'll spend alot of your time checking your lash... once you're good at it, it'll be set right 4 out of 5 times... but you still need to CHECK it.. its a PITA and takes some fun out of it.

just put a huge hyd roller in there..
Old 10-24-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

so your gonna ride solid roller with a BECK sheetmetal in your street car? why not just sell them and go hyd roller?
Old 10-24-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
so your gonna ride solid roller with a BECK sheetmetal in your street car? why not just sell them and go hyd roller?
cause noone wants to buy them for the most part...peolpe are stuck on the ls7 and l92's.. which totaly understand for a street car. Even though theres no ls7 head flowwing 270 cfm on the exh. side peroid..For an all out nitrous car this top end would walk all over any head out there with the exeption of the etp canned valve head...Even the c5r heads are comparable..

Anyways,

asfar as the solid roller being a a pain I dont care..Adjusting valves isn't really a big deal to me..I'm going to run abut a 750ish lift..I think people get a little carried away with it being a hassel and what not..It's well worth the power..
Whats wrong with running these heads with a beck intake o the street??Is my car going to be a dog??lol give me a break..
Old 10-24-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

BTW: they are forsale until they go on the car..I'm not giving them away though
Old 10-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Banned

Ok, your fun on changing springs all the time with that much lift. Even with high dollar springs.

The sheetmetal intake could be a dog, it probably has supershort runners for high RPM use.

With Ti valves you could do a hyd roller that would turn RPM easy, but it's a street car so that doesn't make sense.

IF you want to do something with what you have and make it work why do you not want to take advice? Sounds to me like you already have your mind made up.

Good Luck,

Bret
Old 10-24-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

huh?Did I hit a nerve?My intake runners aren't really thart short man..6in runners isn't bad at all..The hyd. roller was out of the question due to the lift limit..Further more I dont remmember asking you guys to convince me to not run a solid roller..I asked about my oiling system..Sorry but changing springs and adjusting valves isnt that big of a deal for me..I know it can be for some and if it's hard for you than maybe you should be like everyone else and run a hydrolic.. No but forreal man..It's not that big of a deal to me.

The topic is oil delivery here guys...Not cam specs,or valvetrain maintence..

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
Ok, your fun on changing springs all the time with that much lift. Even with high dollar springs.

The sheetmetal intake could be a dog, it probably has supershort runners for high RPM use.

With Ti valves you could do a hyd roller that would turn RPM easy, but it's a street car so that doesn't make sense.

IF you want to do something with what you have and make it work why do you not want to take advice? Sounds to me like you already have your mind made up.

Good Luck,

Bret

Last edited by sr71bbjr; 10-24-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sr71bbjr
huh?Did I hit a nerve?My intake runners aren't really thart short man..6in runners isn't bad at all..The hyd. roller was out of the question due to the lift limit..Further more I dont remmember asking you guys to convince me to not run a solid roller..I asked about my oiling system..Sorry but changing springs and adjusting valves isnt that big of a deal for me..I know it can be for some and if it's hard for you than maybe you should be like everyone else and run a hydrolic.. No but forreal man..It's not that big of a deal to me.

other then the usual issues of running high RPMs for any long periods of time (oil drainback, aeration, ect...) no... theres nothing special.

some lifters never had a oiling groove cut into them, and the roller doesnt see enough oil.
most modern lifters already have some kind of oiling system because 99% of the people benifit from them.

i would run a accustump/oil accumulator/whatever you want to call it.
i would run a oil cooler.
i would make a crankshaft scraper. (along with the windage tray)
i would make sure i had a good clear drainback path in the motor with no casting flash or whatever...
i would run a filter magnet
and i would run synthetic oil....

thats about it.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
other then the usual issues of running high RPMs for any long periods of time (oil drainback, aeration, ect...) no... theres nothing special.

some lifters never had a oiling groove cut into them, and the roller doesnt see enough oil.
most modern lifters already have some kind of oiling system because 99% of the people benifit from them.

i would run a accustump/oil accumulator/whatever you want to call it.
i would run a oil cooler.
i would make a crankshaft scraper. (along with the windage tray)
i would make sure i had a good clear drainback path in the motor with no casting flash or whatever...
i would run a filter magnet
and i would run synthetic oil....

thats about it.

Thanks man..Thats what I wanted to hear..I'm clear on all but # 3..
Old 10-24-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

#3 squeegies(sp) the oil off the crank.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
#3 squeegies(sp) the oil off the crank.

hmmm...you have any more info on that..Pics maybe??
Old 10-24-2006, 09:15 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

As for valve lash my motor does not move and the lash stays very good.I was very suprised when i went solid roller but does not move around like old school.I also have jessels and my cam is also over 700 lift.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sr71bbjr

Geez, if you're that hard core you shouldn't need to ask.

Quick Reply: solid roller on the street??