Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone smell fuel on the oil cap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone smell fuel on the oil cap?

I was checking the oil level and i smelled some fuel on the oil cap? anyone else? car runs fine(knock on wood)
Old 10-25-2006, 03:08 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, next time you change your oil smell it. That is what mine smells like. It should not smell like your gas cap however.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Well, next time you change your oil smell it. That is what mine smells like. It should not smell like your gas cap however.
i would change the oil very quickly but if there is indeed gas in the oil it is probably to late.but once when i had a sbc motor i changed over to efi i washed the cylinders down horribly bad and was luckily able to save it with an oil change and squirted some oil down the spark plug holes and changing the oil again after a few minutes of running again.maybe it is just vapors you are smelling.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

Does your engine get driven long enough to get up to operating temperature? If you are running short distances, you could just not be getting the engine warm enough to burn that crap off.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

sometimes a lot of short trips like if i goto the gym, but when i goto work, usually warms up fully but not for long till i shut it off again. My car tends to get bad mileage in the city compared to most fbods i know, but then again i drive real city, not suburbia city if you know what i mean. I just changed the oil and didnt smell anything, but then again i didnt put my nose to it, but if there was fuel in sufficient amounts, im sure i wouldve noticed it sitting that close to it.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 92SilverSHO
sometimes a lot of short trips like if i goto the gym, but when i goto work, usually warms up fully but not for long till i shut it off again. My car tends to get bad mileage in the city compared to most fbods i know, but then again i drive real city, not suburbia city if you know what i mean. I just changed the oil and didnt smell anything, but then again i didnt put my nose to it, but if there was fuel in sufficient amounts, im sure i wouldve noticed it sitting that close to it.
define up to temp. Is your oil getting up to temp. Not your temp gauge, but your oil. It should take at least 20 minutes to get your oil up to temp.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

my trips to the gym are less than 20mins, more like 15 or so. I heard its normal to smell some gas even if the engine is operating normally.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:29 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 92SilverSHO
I heard its normal to smell some gas even if the engine is operating normally.
True.