General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

acceleration problems......

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default acceleration problems......

sometimes, not every time, when i try to accelerate nothing happens. it seems as if the power is not bein released from the engine. the car shakes more than normal and makes a deep sounding vibration and no acceleration. as if my car was being held back by a giant rubberband and cant go. then all of a sudden it kicks in and shoots forward like someone cut the rubberband. when it does this, the rpm's do not increase.

so basically i give it gas and the engine violently shakes and the car doesnt go. its dangerous for getting on freeways and turning when people are coming. im pretty sure it is with the engine since the rpm's dont increase. just sputters and vibrates. after a while of this and revving my enine high while in neutral itll stop doing that. it does it mostly when the car has just been fired up and i drive off, then after runing it for a bit trying to fight it, it'll go bak to normal.

any thoughts on what this might be?
Old 10-26-2006, 08:47 PM
POC
Staging Lane

Check your spark plug wires. I had a loose wire do the exact same thing that you described.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:35 AM
Teching In

if u drive on water or any slipper surface and if ur traction control is on then that may be the problem cuz once it detects low trac it'll hold then car back for a couple of seconds!! i dunno if thats ur problem tho!!
Old 10-27-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im guessing you have a A4....hows your shifts?...it honestly sounds like a TC issue because the "kicking in" and going
Old 11-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Launching!

no its an m6

not traction, its engine. fuel injectors maybe?
Old 11-01-2006, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

Or intake. How's your filter?
Old 11-01-2006, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

Check your o2s. I had problems with my o2s and they created this exact problem, engine misfires.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

i think i have the same problem right now. i have an m6 as well. my problem occurs after a startup, whether the engine is hot or cold. when i try to go, the gas pedal goes down, and it sounds like a bogged 2stroke engine, then it shoots forwards. it goes away after a few blocks, and then is fine again...??

its got me fooled
Old 11-02-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a torque converter or clutch are not really "traction" type parts....these parts determine if your cars going to go anyway...even with a breaking clutch, it can make the car feel like its not going anywhere...the fact that the rpms do not increase rule out a number of things...bad injectors could be a good possiblity though also
Old 11-03-2006, 01:28 AM
On The Tree

I get the same problem in my '93 formula, had me kinda stumped but havn't given it full attention since I have the '95z. Ive cleaned the injectors, changed the fuel filter and checked air filter, even changed tranny mount(which I found was really bad). My thought was it was the spark plugs but havn't had a chance to change them. Formula is an A4.