Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF question...

i did a search, and gathered some info, but didnt get a straight answer. i know that the stock one will hold up to 500hp and all...but why not just remove it? i wouldnt think it would hurt anything. all it does is restrict (from all that i know...which isnt much, lol). what are the benefits of keeping it, and can anyone elaborate on what gains are to be made by just removing it?
Old 10-29-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gringo
i did a search, and gathered some info, but didnt get a straight answer. i know that the stock one will hold up to 500hp and all...but why not just remove it? i wouldnt think it would hurt anything. all it does is restrict (from all that i know...which isnt much, lol). what are the benefits of keeping it, and can anyone elaborate on what gains are to be made by just removing it?
Obviously, you cant just remove it, you'd have to get a SD tune and then you could remove it. As far as the gains, i have HEARD it's little to nothing, but i havent seen any proof like dyno sheets or anything
Old 10-29-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ What he said, if you remove it your car will run like crap / not at all.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

well i knew you needed to tune it out, lmao. im not that retarded. haha. i meant if you remove it/tune it, will there be gains? and by "hurt" i meant losses in performance, as if it is needed no matter what. in another thread i saw mentioned that it helps change things based on weather, etc.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

thanks btw for your input
Old 10-29-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont see why exactly you would want to remove it....the maf takes care of alot of issues that YOU would have to resolve on a constant basis
Old 10-29-2006, 11:30 PM
10 Second Club

even without a tune your car would run without a MAF, it uses a MAP (SD tune) and MAF sensor both. it just wouldnt idle very well. i messed with my lid one time (i usualy have to remove the MAF and all the air intake pluming to get my clear lid to go on correctly) and i forgot to plug in the MAF.. when i was backing out of the driveway it died, and i was like hmm thats odd, i drove home no problems at all, and it wasnt untill the next day that i figured it out haha. now i have a SD tune and im so glad that i did it.

as for the gains... there really arent any gains either way, its just a way the computer measures the air comming in to make adjustments. it can do it either way. its like measuring something in feet or inches or cm, they are all measurements and you know what they mean, they are just diffrent and you use diffrent tools to measure it.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
^^^ What he said, if you remove it your car will run like crap / not at all.
youre wrong. it will run without the MAF, it will just use the predicted air(VE) table to provide fueling.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

The advantage to using the MAf is that it measures ACTUAL airflow through theen gine rather than PREDICTED airflow. Without the MAF the engine will use the VE table, which is predicted air, not actual airflow. So if your prediction is off then so will your fueling, per se, although fuel trims will help to keep AFR constant.

My suggestion is to keep the MAF unless you are running high boost apps or something.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the car was designed by gm, to be able to RUN without the MAF unlike fords, dodges etc....but its not something where you can just take it off....your car will literally run like a 3 cylinder honda....and its not good for the car on the long term
Old 10-30-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by staringback05
the car was designed by gm, to be able to RUN without the MAF unlike fords, dodges etc....but its not something where you can just take it off....your car will literally run like a 3 cylinder honda....and its not good for the car on the long term
What ?? It will run fine without the MAF as long as it isnt too modded ie cam. Who told you that ****?
Old 10-30-2006, 12:17 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran with my maf unplugged for about a week. It is just barely down on power. It doesnt effect it as much as you guys think.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess it varies from car to car because on mine when I forgot to plug it back in it ran like crap for a while before I realized what I had forgot.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:06 PM
10 Second Club

My old setup was tuned by SD and the maf wasn't plugged in. Now I have it tuned for MAF again. With my big cam and FAST intake, my roomate wanted to data log the car to see what the numbers were looking like at WOT. We did a pull and she was pulling in over 40lb/hr of air through the MAF compared to 1lb/hr at idle. that is alot of air going through that 75mm hole.

The car can run on SD but it isn't as efficient as a MAF setup.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4152483