Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Should You Not Use Synthetic Fluid In A 4L60E?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why Should You Not Use Synthetic Fluid In A 4L60E?

Can someone please explain why this should not be used?

I did notice that I had prblems with shifting after I started using synthetic. I never thought at the time it was because of the fluid.

Any information on why not to use Synthetic would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 11-04-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the general problem is it lubricates too well. The clutches need some friction modifiers in the fluid to behave correctly.

Dex III or VI seem to be recommended 100%. At this point you'll need a pretty thorough flush.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by todddchi
I believe the general problem is it lubricates too well. The clutches need some friction modifiers in the fluid to behave correctly.

Dex III or VI seem to be recommended 100%. At this point you'll need a pretty thorough flush.

So, is this the possible problem for my 2-3 shift problems? It hits the rev limiter like the clutch packs are shot? Could the syntetic fluid prevent the clutches from engaging properly and casue slipage?

Thanks.

Bill
Old 11-04-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bill'sWS6
So, is this the possible problem for my 2-3 shift problems? It hits the rev limiter like the clutch packs are shot? Could the syntetic fluid prevent the clutches from engaging properly and casue slipage?

Thanks.

Bill
Short answer, yes.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can someone please explain why this should not be used?
Synthetic fluids as too slippery for the clutches in the tranny. They will cause the trans to slip more, heat up more, and wear out quickly.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:14 PM
11 Second Club

i, along with a few other people i know use mobil 1 synthetic ATF with zero problems. must be that the synthetics are too slick huh. one guy has 80K on his trans and has used mobil 1 syn atf and NEVER had the thing slip. mobil 1 is just a better trans fluid. so no, do use synthetics cause theyre too slippery
Old 11-05-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 05gto60
i, along with a few other people i know use mobil 1 synthetic ATF with zero problems. must be that the synthetics are too slick huh. one guy has 80K on his trans and has used mobil 1 syn atf and NEVER had the thing slip. mobil 1 is just a better trans fluid. so no, do use synthetics cause theyre too slippery
Glad it works for you, but I have seen cases where someone used it and had problems which were solved by removing the synthetic and going back to Dexron IV. These were in the minority, but I'd suggest that using the Dexron and changing the fluid & fliter twice is often is a better solution than using synthetic and it costs the same as a single change with synthetic.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

A tranny will also do this if the fluid is just a tad low. Please don't be insulted by that statement because it is pretty tricky getting an accurate reading. About a quart or so low is enough to make a finicky 2-3 shift.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 11-05-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are entitled to your opinion, but it isn't consistent with the people who work with these transmissions on a daily basis.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck to you. sounds like you've gotten lucky thus far. too many accidents have occurred by using synthetic ATF's to offset one or two guys having good results IMO.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Though My experience with using synthetics is limited I have not persoanlly run into issue with them.Though I have questioned there expense , I mean I have seen the dexron go 150000 miles and the tranny work fine and it has never been changed which says something for its durability ,
Not in anyway saying you shouldn't changed the fliuld and filter regularly just and observation from building them for so many years.
I have nothing positive or negative to say about the synthetic fluilds other than I consider them a waste of money for a transmission, Now engine oil may be a different story all together.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-05-2006, 09:54 PM
11 Second Club

heres my question to you non synthetic people...

just cause mobil 1 is synthetic, who said its more slippery than regular dexron? ive talked to mobil and they didnt have any problems reported. i wish i had saved the email but didnt. they said that the majority of people that used it were using a stock transmission. if you look at the info on the mobil 1 syn and penzoil and valvoline dexron, the viscosity is close to the same, but mobil 1 has a lower pour point, and higher flash point. i dunno, ill stick to mobil 1.

heres something else, you guys label it as just "synthetic", well, synthetic isnt a brand. what brand where they using when they had a problem? trick shift, RP, mobil 1, what?
Old 11-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres my question to you non synthetic people...

just cause mobil 1 is synthetic, who said its more slippery than regular dexron? ive talked to mobil and they didnt have any problems reported. i wish i had saved the email but didnt. they said that the majority of people that used it were using a stock transmission. if you look at the info on the mobil 1 syn and penzoil and valvoline dexron, the viscosity is close to the same, but mobil 1 has a lower pour point, and higher flash point. i dunno, ill stick to mobil 1.

heres something else, you guys label it as just "synthetic", well, synthetic isnt a brand. what brand where they using when they had a problem? trick shift, RP, mobil 1, what?
look, the simple fact is that people have damaged their 4L60E's by running synthetic ATF in them. if you have had success with them, go ahead. the fact is, there are a lot of horror stories out there, and your good experience does not make up for all the horror stories. also, chances are, if you were running plain old dexron III, you'd be having the same success. dexron III never fails. synthetic ATF sometimes does. dexron III sends 4L60E's over 100k miles all the time, so that is what most of us will run. the 2 or 3 good experiences are not worth the dozens of bad ones.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

As I saidI havent seen any problems with it personally and have torn down trannys that have used it and seen nothing out of the ordinary good or bad , Im not sure about the slippery part I do know that transmissions are hydraulic and for that purpose they both should work fine ,
The jury is still out from my perspective , I only cant justify the cost untill I see somthing more impressive ,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-05-2006, 11:41 PM
11 Second Club

something i just thought about, isnt the dexron VI from the dealer synthetic? im probably wrong on this, but i thought the III H spec was a blend but the VI was fully synthetic. like i said, i might be wrong, but for some reason each time i searched it always timed out
Old 11-06-2006, 12:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I do not know the answer on that, In theory at least they should work the same particularly in a stock application. I do know that friction modifiers were added to dexron mercron to make it slippery to avoid converter chatter issues with PWM cars

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-06-2006, 12:16 PM
11 Second Club

Well, I am going to lean towards the Dextron III this time. When the old tranny comes out I am going to have it opened and looked at for clutch pack wear and other stuff.

All I have to say is I put in Amsoil after using Dextron III and the 2-3 WOT rev limiter banging began. That is just the facts of the situation. I checked the tranny fluid level and other stuff, no issues.

I will know on Thursday or Friday of this week.

I will update this thread at that time. Thanks for all the input!

Bill
Old 11-06-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How many miles were on the transmission before you guys went to the synthetic? I have heard of the problem being that after a while the clutch packs wear to a point that any flush and refill witll cause a problem. Basically the reasion why is that the material worn off from the clutches acts as a friction modifier and the new fluid will lack that. I would like to see data on a new transmission or very low mile transmission run on synthetic fluid.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gunslinger09
How many miles were on the transmission before you guys went to the synthetic? I have heard of the problem being that after a while the clutch packs wear to a point that any flush and refill witll cause a problem. Basically the reasion why is that the material worn off from the clutches acts as a friction modifier and the new fluid will lack that. I would like to see data on a new transmission or very low mile transmission run on synthetic fluid.

mine had less than 10K when i switched and im at 15K now.

i was thinking the same thing as you. i wonder if the people that switch had a ton of miles then switched and had problems (kinda like switching from regualar to syn oil in the motor after a ton of miles, it will give you problems).

even then, one person at work had abour 40-50K on his trans when he switched to mobil 1 syn atf and hasnt had any problems
Old 11-06-2006, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gunslinger09

My trans had 24,000 miles on it when it was switched out to synthetic. It has 26,000 on the OD now and will be switched out on Thursday. So, I hope it solves the problem. My shift points are set at 6600 rpm if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Bill

Quick Reply: Why Should You Not Use Synthetic Fluid In A 4L60E?