General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Stank smelling seatbelt

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 11:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stank smelling seatbelt

I bought my Z from a lady in her mid 40's. She must have worn some pretty strong perfume, because the smell is fused into the seatbelt. It's so bad that I wont wear it, because the smell rubs off onto my shirt. It's been 11 months and i want to get this taken care of. I'm just gonna try to find a new seatbelt unless someone knows how to get the funk out. I've tried everything
Old 11-05-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bleach that ****
Old 11-05-2006, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

then it would stink like bleach, and be white? I just don't wanna die in a crash because of a rotten smelling seatbelt.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

take it out and wash it w/ simple green
Old 11-05-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Febreeze?
Old 11-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Start wearing cologne heavily and wear the seatbelt for awhile and see if the smell switches.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

I've used Frebreeze, I've tried a cleaner like simple green, and theres no way the smell will switch, It'll probably just mix and stink even more.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ls1Envy
I've used Frebreeze, I've tried a cleaner like simple green, and theres no way the smell will switch, It'll probably just mix and stink even more.
So go order a new/used seat belt. Not like they are tough to find or are expensive....

Part number for black drivers side 00-02 appears to be 88895028. 85 bucks new. Probably 30 used.

Last edited by Mike02Z; 11-05-2006 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dat's a crazy problem. I would pick up a used seatbelt I guess. Not much sense in taking chances compromising the one you use with chemical cleaners.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs down

Car smells are weird, sometimes they just haunt you forever. I had a buddy who used to drive an Integra. We went to a wedding one night and hung out and ate and got drunk at the reception. Well, I didn't get drunk, but he did. The reception was catered by some italian place, lot of tomato sauce, sausage, and cheese in all the dishes. Anyway, we ate a lot, and my buddy put a lot of beer, champagne, and other such booze on top of the food.

I ended up having to drive us home in his car. So, he starts vomiting on the way home, out the window doing like 50. We were going fast enough to where a lot of it came blowing back in. Blobs of it were even hitting me in the face So I pulled over, and he starts yelling at me to go. When I get back on the road, he starts puking again The smell was absolutely horrid, stale booze mixed with partially digested pasta, tomato sauce, and sausage.

The next day he took all the interior out and cleaned it and what not, but every time I got in his car after that I smelled that horrible stench. He stopped noticing after a while, but I could always smell it.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
Car smells are weird, sometimes they just haunt you forever. I had a buddy who used to drive an Integra. We went to a wedding one night and hung out and ate and got drunk at the reception. Well, I didn't get drunk, but he did. The reception was catered by some italian place, lot of tomato sauce, sausage, and cheese in all the dishes. Anyway, we ate a lot, and my buddy put a lot of beer, champagne, and other such booze on top of the food.

I ended up having to drive us home in his car. So, he starts vomiting on the way home, out the window doing like 50. We were going fast enough to where a lot of it came blowing back in. Blobs of it were even hitting me in the face So I pulled over, and he starts yelling at me to go. When I get back on the road, he starts puking again The smell was absolutely horrid, stale booze mixed with partially digested pasta, tomato sauce, and sausage.

The next day he took all the interior out and cleaned it and what not, but every time I got in his car after that I smelled that horrible stench. He stopped noticing after a while, but I could always smell it.
that was a wonderful story, if you only had a cam corder to tape this you could have made a movie
Old 11-05-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tainted
that was a wonderful story, if you only had a cam corder to tape this you could have made a movie
I remember almost puking myself while listening to him and then getting splattered.

Reading about that lingering seatbelt smell made me remember that disgusting event.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try Ozium spray. It's an air sanitizer but won't hurt to try - you can get it in a small (.8 oz) sprayer on a card at your local supermarket where they sell the "christmas tree" thingies you hang on the mirror.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

ill sell you a full set of seatbelts charcoal grey that came out of a newer ss. it was a 2000 model i beleve.
my stepdad owns a towing co. and i pulled them out gonna replace mine b/c mine are stained but i have had them like a year now and now dont really care anymore.

75 bucks shipped.