Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Door Panel on Firebirds

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Panel on Firebirds

I have a 1999 with grey door panels, which both have started to crack.
These panels have carpeted inserts not leather.
I also have access to some 1995 grey door panels which are in good shape, but the carpet is a different color of grey and the speaker pods/ map pockets are different.
What would it take to remove the map pockets/ speaker pods and carpet from my current cracking door panels and install them on the 95 door panels?
Would there be any cutting involved for the larger monsoon style speaker pods? If so how hard would it be to simply, swap the fabric (I can relocate my tweeters to somewhere else)?
My friend said he would sell me the 95 panels for 100, and he would help me do the conversion assuming this is not beyond our (or mostly his) fabrication skills.

Also any advice how to protect the older 95 panels from cracking like my current panels. Although the older panels do some much stronger than the 98+ panels.

Thanks

Robert
Old 11-06-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

really no one knows anything about this
Old 11-06-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Panels are gonna crack anyway...
I, being the careful person that I am, dont slam the damn door everytime i go in/out. Passangers on the other hand, always feel the need to close the door with the window (causes cracks), slam the doors with excessive force (causes cracks), and have the windows all the way down (causes cracks)
Old 11-06-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

thanks for the reply.

I understand the door panels can crack. But I owned and drove the 1995 T/A (where the non-cracked door panels are coming from) for 4 years until ......R.I.P. , and the door panels never cracked. I know you are not suppose to close the door by the window, but I do it. I do not slam my doors, but I have had passengers that do.

Anyways though, I do appreciate the reply, but it really does not address my questions. I am trying to modify a door panel by switching from the non monsoon speaker pods to the monsoon style speaker pods and further switching the carpeted inserts. I am just not sure what is required to remove the carpet from the door panels?? What is the procedure to remove the speaker pods/ map pocket from the door panels? Is the hole the door panel made for the smaller non monsoon speaker pods the same size as the hole made for the monsoon pods? Or do I have to cut the door panel?

Thanks

Robert
Old 11-07-2006, 04:45 AM
TECH Resident

anyone.......
Old 11-10-2006, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Maybe reenforce the area where they crack with some type of epoxy or caulk.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

I did read the procedure on how to patch cracks in the doors panels. But there were two things: first it was still obvious where the crack was even after patching; second after talking to upholstery shops, I was told that any type of patch would be only be a temporary fix and would more than likely crack again.

I have access to two sets of door panels, so I just need to go look at them and buy one set. Hopefully an upholestry shop can match new cloth to the existing cloth on my cracked panels.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2006, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to radius the corners of the notches, thats where the cracks start.

I posted up about this awhile back and even had some pics on what I did.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SScam68

Here's SScam68's thread - link
Old 11-10-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

Well I have had my door panels off twice recently installing some speakers and trying to identify the problem with my window(still not fixed). Anyways, I am not familiar with the notches that you mention, but my plan is to get new panels(well used ones). I do have a case going with the BBB and GM though about the windows and door panels. Everyone can tell me thats F-ed up, but I had my windows worked on over 8 times during the regular and extended warranties. And the windows are still f-ed. Now the panels are cracking from the stress of my windows being F-ed constantly and the door panels being removed too many times or careless work. I know for a fact that some GM mechanic cracked one of my mirror triangles(interior bezels).

if you had a better picture of the notches you smoothed/rounded, I would appreciate it or are they obvious?
Old 11-12-2006, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kny3twalker
thanks for the reply.

I understand the door panels can crack. But I owned and drove the 1995 T/A (where the non-cracked door panels are coming from) for 4 years until ......R.I.P. , and the door panels never cracked. I know you are not suppose to close the door by the window, but I do it. I do not slam my doors, but I have had passengers that do.

Anyways though, I do appreciate the reply, but it really does not address my questions. I am trying to modify a door panel by switching from the non monsoon speaker pods to the monsoon style speaker pods and further switching the carpeted inserts. I am just not sure what is required to remove the carpet from the door panels?? What is the procedure to remove the speaker pods/ map pocket from the door panels? Is the hole the door panel made for the smaller non monsoon speaker pods the same size as the hole made for the monsoon pods? Or do I have to cut the door panel?

Thanks

Robert
You can switch the cloth from you cracked panels to your new ones and it's not too hard.

I believe that you cut the tabs off whatever's holding the cloth in and then when you put it back, melt a pen cap on to the original mounting points and that'll hold it in and replace the plastic you cut off. There's a write up on camaroz28.com I think. do a search for it.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

awesome!!!

see thats what I am talking about!!!

I will do a search for that over at camaro z28

thank you
Old 11-12-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Hey I cannot find this write-up???

I searched for door panel cloth leather, door panel replacement, and cloth replacement
I found many door panel discussions but nothing referring to melting a pen

I would really appreciate it if you could post where you read that

Thanks

Robert

Last edited by kny3twalker; 11-12-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Sorry, I can't find it either but it's easy.

I did a map pocket switch and all you do is cut the tops off of the plastic tabs that hold it on and then when you reattach it, you can use epoxy to replace the plastic you cut off of the tabs or melt a pen cap on the tabs to hold it on.

I don't remember what the back of the inserts look like but I believe it's the same idea. It's easy.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aside from cracking the panels, could slamming the door cause any damage to the electrical components inside?

How much would it cost to buy a new panel anyway?

Quick Reply: Door Panel on Firebirds