Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Reason for switching to a carb intake??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reason for switching to a carb intake??

Why are the big boost guys going with a carb intake and a sheet metal elbow? Do the stock intakes not hold up under high pressure? Better flow out of the carb intake?
It looks kick *** but that alone will not justify me getting that set up.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:43 AM
11Second Club

Old 11-09-2006, 10:48 AM
11Second Club

Now that I think about it, I'll bet it helps even out the flow to each cylinder so you don't loose the notorious number seven.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from what im told, its not a issue of flow restriction, but a matter of getting a more even amount of air into each cyl.
something about the air is shoved into the front and it hits the back of the intake so the rear cyls are leaner, then the front ones....

i dont know much more then that.. its just "stuff i read online", not "stuff i can afford to do" lol.
as much as people worry about the plastic intakes, i have yet to hear about someone breaking one due to boost.... now nitrous backfires, yes... boost, no.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm pretty sure it has to do with getting even air flow to each cylinder. The air distribution with the carb intakes is much more eqaul than the lsx intakes, ie air coming in from the top is better than it coming in on the front of the intake stuffing the back 2 cylinders, which can cause them to run lean and pop. On top of that, the carb intakes are also suppose to flow better, so it's a win/win for the big HP guys.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
from what im told, its not a issue of flow restriction, but a matter of getting a more even amount of air into each cyl.
something about the air is shoved into the front and it hits the back of the intake so the rear cyls are leaner, then the front ones....

i dont know much more then that.. its just "stuff i read online", not "stuff i can afford to do" lol.
as much as people worry about the plastic intakes, i have yet to hear about someone breaking one due to boost.... now nitrous backfires, yes... boost, no.

beat me to it!
Old 11-09-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm running one for better air distribution to each cylinder.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

i posted a similar question www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605485
Jose answered but he was the only one... anyone else care to weigh in?
Old 11-09-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it not the case though that this is only needed for like high end horsepower, like 900 or 1000rwhp? There are many cars that are running 800 and 900rwhp on stock intake.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:55 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Could help with peak HP numbers but the intakes that fit below the stock hoods have a lot of compromises built in and might not have much gain over stock stuff.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by phildo
It looks kick *** but that alone will not justify me getting that set up.
That was enough for me....any gains would have been a bonus.

Ive said it before though. I'm not convinced I have gained any huge amounts of power by fitting one though.
it feels stronger in the low-mid range, and did require a fair bit more fuel in these areas.

But up top....I had to do very little to maintain the same AFR's as per LS6/Stock TB intake.

Dont have access to a dyno, so cant give any numerical evidence for power etc.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Banned

Willem @ Fuel Injection Concepts's Avatar

carb intakes are still nowhere near perfect distribution. they just move the problem around more. i think alot of the gains people get are from the short runners and reduced plenum size.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:11 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

I'd expect a carb intake and elbow to have much larger volume than the LS6 intake.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

If you have an odd problem, like needing to intercool a whipple twinscrew on a truck motor, the carb intake can eliminate a lot of clearance issues. Or maybe that's just me?
Old 11-10-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would really like to see some testing comparing the two. For me I am running the LS6 on my 427 and plan to keep it. I might switch to a smoother flowing TB when the procharger goes back on tho.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gametech
the carb intake can eliminate a lot of clearance issues. Or maybe that's just me?

80% of the time you create a clearance issuse by going the carb style . not the other way around esp if its an f-body you have the cowl to deal with and some triming is required unless you drop the engine down a bit

i would like to see someone do an egt and wideband test per cly and compare back to back with a stock style vs carb style to see if the "rumors" are true that air flow is more complete with a carb style.

kp pointed out in the thread i started that even by turning around the mainfold it still didnt change the #7 problem... anyone ??????
Old 11-10-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

as of now after speaking with many many many builders from what i have now gathered there are as many theories about the intakes differeances as there are builders. i bought into the myth and went carb style. i could have easily used any intake i wanted but i choose what "i" thought would work the best, time will tell.

Last edited by kp; 11-10-2006 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:36 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by KHShapiro
i bought into the myth and went carb style. i could have easily used any intake i wanted but i choose what "i" thought would work the best, time will tell.
Independant thought, imagine that

Sometimes its easy to overanalyze purchases and decisions, especially expensive ones. With race cars there is usually more then one 'correct' way to achieve a goal, if you simply just like the way it looks or if you think it will work for you just use it and why worry what other people have to think. In the big picture its a small part of the overall combination.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

I feel that there is very little proof that the carb intakes improve flow distribution. I know that several people have made near 1khp with an ls6 intake. This is why I gave the original poster one isolated instance in which there is a real need for a carb intake. It may be relevant-- it may not.

Last edited by kp; 11-10-2006 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
Independant thought, imagine that

Sometimes its easy to overanalyze purchases and decisions, especially expensive ones. With race cars there is usually more then one 'correct' way to achieve a goal, if you simply just like the way it looks or if you think it will work for you just use it and why worry what other people have to think. In the big picture its a small part of the overall combination.
VERY well said KP. I know i have gotten caught up in not buying something even though i wanted it but others said not to. i bought the intake for the "chance" it would help with the flow, plus it got me one less piece i will need later. Even on a stock motor it seems to have REALLY helped, but i do only have a stock TB on it right now. And you got to love the way it looks i know i do.

Quick Reply: Reason for switching to a carb intake??