Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

g-tech bolt on results (intake comparison)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default g-tech bolt on results (intake comparison)

I gteched my car this weekend (without nitrous) to get an idea of what I might run at the track and as a (future) comparison between the ls6 and a ported fast 78 intake. These are my results with the ls6 intake on street tires with no nitrous:

12.85 @ 118.6 (poor launch) one direction
12.65 @ 118.9 (slightly better launch) back other direction

I'm thinking that realistically the trap speeds are off a good bit and that I'm probably in the 112-113 mph range with a 1.9-2.0 sixty foot on the better run. I think that by putting on my m/t drag radials can get me about a .2 second better 60 foot and knock 4-5 tenths off to get me in the low 12s at the track (the local track here doesn't open until march).

I am going to swap on my self ported fast 78 intake and make a few more runs with the same tires to see what type of gains et/mph I get...I'll post the results here for all those who care.

My ultimate goal is to break into the 10s with h/c/nitrous, but I think it might be fun to try and break into the 11s with no nitrous and only bolt ons. Maybe I'll just have to spring for an electric water pump if the fast intake gets me much closer to potential 11s.

I'm no stranger to the dragstrip (with other vehicles) so don't flame me thinking I'm just some gtech poser.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

im thinking about one. Have you had your car dyneod to see how close the two are and the drag strip. i know they wont be exact, but just a idea.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FRUSTRATED T/A
im thinking about one. Have you had your car dyneod to see how close the two are and the drag strip. i know they wont be exact, but just a idea.
I have not dynoed yet...I probably won't get it dynoed until I install heads/cam and am actually getting it dyno tuned.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

g-techs are terriably inaccurate for trap speeds (usuaull 5 or so mph over actuall) and horsepower (hp is rated at net hp which is way less then rwhp) so if u have really low hp numbers its just cause its net hp... just wondering what hp and torque did it give u...

0-60 and 1/4 mile are supposed to be within .15

somebody needs to run one at the trac and compare g-tech and timeslips....
Old 11-13-2006, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

there are a lot of comparissions out there if you look for them and for the most part they seem to be pretty close on et like stated before (+ or - .1) but trap speed and horsepower are both way off.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by presto_z
g-techs are terriably inaccurate for trap speeds (usuaull 5 or so mph over actuall) and horsepower (hp is rated at net hp which is way less then rwhp) so if u have really low hp numbers its just cause its net hp... just wondering what hp and torque did it give u...

The G-Tech is deadly accurate. The reason for the difference is, its showing your actual MPH at the end of the quarter mile. "Trap speed" is going to be lower by about 6-7%. The G-Tech can't measure Trap Speed like a dragstrip does.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the info... i guess i wasnt thinking of it like that...
Old 11-13-2006, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

does it show hp and tq consistintly. Even if its off does it show the same number consistintly? So i could kind of use it to see if modds show a littel with it or not.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

i noticed your exhust is what i might be switching to here soon how do you like it v8hunter
Old 11-14-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by presto_z

I have not used it to show my hp & torque as I am going to use the part of the g tech which is the most accurate...the accelerometer. I didn't believe that the gtech could work well until I talked to my uncle (who is a car nut and was an engineer at the defense department) and he said that an accelerometer is just simple physics and pretty darn accurate. From my searches here the 1/4 mile time tends to be pretty darn accurate with the drag strip. I'm mostly just using the gtech to show results from mod changes though.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FRUSTRATED T/A
i noticed your exhust is what i might be switching to here soon how do you like it v8hunter

I'm pretty happy with it as it is supposed to flow quite well and is reasonably quiet...I hate rasp. I have heard of people putting a cut out on the hooker system and only gaining a few horsepower to that means that it must flow quite well.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Quick Update:

I finished installing my self ported fast 78 intake yesterday and it seems to be working just fine other than a check engine light???. A quick impression is that it feels a bit more responsive with the fast intake...I'm not sure if the top end is any stronger (maybe just not enough to feel). This is oposite of what I would have expected as you are expected to lose a little low end power and gain some high end power.

I will likely get a change to make a few runs (weather permitting) with the gtech today to see if my 1/4 mile time or trap speed has changed substantially. I will likely start a new thread as I'm sure others are interested in my results.