LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

how hard to rebuild rearend

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 02:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hard to rebuild rearend

i have all of the parts how hard is it to do it i have access to pretty much everything besides air tools so how hard is it
Old 11-19-2006, 02:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you dont know what your doing just pay someone to do it.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are a couple of sites. I would rather not do it, but it can be done.

http://www.stealthram.com/gearswap.htm
http://www.keliente.com/gears.htm
Old 11-19-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UA-Plumber
If you dont know what your doing just pay someone to do it.
if you have no patience, don't do this job. if you want to learn and be proud of your work, do it yourself. pinion depth is almost never right the first time. you MUST get this right or you will ruin your gears. buy about 4 or 5 extra crush sleeves as well. if you are not replacing ring and pinion, DON"T LOSE YOUR SHIMS! rebuilding a rear isn't hard, it is very time consuming. dont ever get in a hurry with this or it will bite you in the ***. and never assume it is set up right because your measurements say it is. always go by the pattern laid down by the marking compound. check out Randys Ring and Pinion's web site, there is alot of good info there. and good luck. you will never learn a thing by paying someone to do it for you. i would rather let someone touch my girl then to touch my car, though there are dire consequeces either way
Old 11-19-2006, 10:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a project that while doable at home and hell I plan too today myself, comes under the "skilled" heading. Is it hard no but as stated requires some fine measurement and persistence. After having crushed a crush sleeve with a 4 foot cheater bar on the ratchet the only way I will do it now is with air but you have to be VERY carefull not to go too far.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure you have access to a 20 ton press for pulling the bearings off of the diff. They sometimes still have to be cut off with a cut off wheel. I would recommend getting a few air tools for the job. An impact is so much easier to get the crush sleeve to crush. I wouldn't want to have to do this with a breaker bar and socket! The cut off wheel you could put off unless you realy need it. Dry ice is also a helpfull aid when it comes time to put a new bearing race into the center section for your large pinion bearing. Pack some dry ice in on the race and give it about 10 min, then take a large punch and hit the race at 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock, and 9 o'clock until the race comes free. Use a pair of gloves to pick up the race. Then cool your new race with dry ice and put back in. If you had shims behind the race make sure to put some new shims of the same thickness back in. The rest comes down to patience and trial and error. Getting a good read off of your pattern is fairly hard due to how small the ring gear is. I would set aside a weekend for completeing this project for your first time.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

i am fortunate enough to have a bearing heater and remover at my disposal, if you dont have these or a press, most parts stores or machine shops can press and remove bearings for you. the number one tool for this job is patience, that can not be stressed enough.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Here's a simple plan to rebuild a 10 bolt: Step 1, pick up the phone and call Moser. Step 2, shell out the cash for a 9" or a 12 bolt.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Jeez, I love this thread. I'm not sure which gave me the bigger laugh, the gf comment or the call Moser one.
Although I have the skills, I do not have the tools. So, I am going to have my second gear installed tomorrow, because the twit that installed the first one did not do it right. So, my answer would be to make sure that they do it right the first time, so you don't have to pay again like I have to.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LSXNV
if you have no patience, don't do this job. if you want to learn and be proud of your work, do it yourself. pinion depth is almost never right the first time. you MUST get this right or you will ruin your gears. buy about 4 or 5 extra crush sleeves as well. if you are not replacing ring and pinion, DON"T LOSE YOUR SHIMS! rebuilding a rear isn't hard, it is very time consuming. dont ever get in a hurry with this or it will bite you in the ***. and never assume it is set up right because your measurements say it is. always go by the pattern laid down by the marking compound. check out Randys Ring and Pinion's web site, there is alot of good info there. and good luck. you will never learn a thing by paying someone to do it for you. i would rather let someone touch my girl then to touch my car, though there are dire consequeces either way
There is a time and a place to learn. Why "Practice" on brand new gears???
Old 11-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Launching!

how hard is it to backlash the gears
Old 11-19-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UA-Plumber
There is a time and a place to learn. Why "Practice" on brand new gears???
there is no practice on setting up gears, you either get it right or you dont. if your off, the marking compound will tell you. you learn every day, and unless you have a bunch of disposable money, there is no reason not to do it yourself. there is nothing overly technical about this. just need patience.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chameleongreen97ta
how hard is it to backlash the gears
setting backlash is nothing more then moving shims from one side of the carrier to the other. and having decent preload (moreshims or less) aswell. seriously, look up Randy's ring and pinions web site. great info there. and they are the best imo.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LSXNV
there is no practice on setting up gears, you either get it right or you dont. if your off, the marking compound will tell you. you learn every day, and unless you have a bunch of disposable money, there is no reason not to do it yourself. there is nothing overly technical about this. just need patience.
That is my point. You guys are making this way more complicated than what it should be.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:19 PM
Launching!

does it take any special tools to do this
Old 11-20-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Buy A 9inch. Dont Waste Any Thing For A Week *** 10 Bolt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

After your gears are set up buy a rear diff support cover. It will let you plant more power than most people think! The testing limits of a freind of mine's was on a 97' Camaro SS. He was running a 12.9 in the 1/4 on motor with 10" full slick's and a TH400 with a transbrake in Pheonix, AZ. It finally shattered the STOCK limited slip when he came off the brake at 5,000 rpm with a 175 shot of N2O, later that afternoon.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:20 AM
Launching!

i would by a 9 inch or a 12 bolt if i had $2400 to waste but i barely had enough money to buy the parts for my rear now and the car is my daily driver so i have to get it on the road
Old 11-21-2006, 02:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Well, make sure that you have the dial caliper, and a ride in case it takes longer than expected. It is certainly a task that can be done with enough preparation and tools.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

The hardest part is making sure you have the shim right.

Quick Reply: how hard to rebuild rearend