Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake options/advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Intake options/advice?

Search seems to be down for the third time I've tried this week. It just seems to time out every time I try to search. Message is "Request Timeout :: This request takes too long to process, it is timed out by the server. If it should not be timed out, please contact administrator of this web site to increase 'Connection Timeout'. "

Since I can't find what I'm looking for, I'll ask:

* I got an intakehoses.com elbow + aluminum tube, fitment kinda sucked (solid fit, looks nasty, interferes with radiator tap).

* Got an LS2 intake elbow, fitment kind sucked (flimsy, air filter sits on the power steering pulley).

What are some other options?

I would love to get one of the integrated MAF/filter units like the one pictured below, but man, they are expensive as hell! I want something that will allow using the stock air temp sensor and attaches to the MAF directly for under $150. Possible? Anyone seen anything out there?

Attached Thumbnails Intake options/advice?-intake.jpg  
Old 11-19-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Whatever you do, do not get one of those gawd awful MAF air cleaner things. YOu will be sucking hot air off the radiator. Ever see what your timing map does as your air intake temps go up? It gets ugly fast. You will be down 15-20 HP easy!

Whats wrong with coming off the throttle body with a 90 degree elbow and air cleaner off to the side?

Andrew
Old 11-19-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Arrow

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Whats wrong with coming off the throttle body with a 90 degree elbow and air cleaner off to the side?
At this point, I don't care if I'm sucking in a little hot air. It is not going to affect my performance THAT much. People seriously, seriously make such a big deal about warm air getting in, and I think it's a little silly (nothing personal!) When you are doing a conversion, you don't always have the option of where you want to put things, you just stick em where they'll fit and look nice.

Lemme show you what I'm dealing with. And a note, beforehand: I am not open to the idea of setting my fans up as pushers, so, please, don't recommend it.

LS2 GTO intake elbow - first pic - GREAT FIT! Second pic...oh, damn. Because of the bend back towards the cab, if I wanna get my radiator hose to fit, then my wires are gonna be grinding on the PS pump pulley. The intake elbow is notched, so before someone says "just rotate the MAF!", if you do, it doesn't seem to seal all the way...and with it pitched down that far, the filter is sitting on my inner fender - it's gonna get beat to hell. To boot, if I ever hit a bump, the MAF is getting mangled! (it's flimsy)

Intakehoses.com 90º elbow with no extension - when setup straight (pic #1), it obviously doesn't fit in the space I've got, and won't allow for the radiator hose. When setup in a way that it will fit nicely for the radiator hose, it doesn't seat properly on the TB, it's sitting on top of the fans, and it's gonna get torn up by the PS pulley again if I hit a bump (pic #2).

Finally, intakehoses.com intake 90º elbow with a 12", 18" or 24" aluminum extension - I forget which (pic #1). It will sort of work if I adjust it with a slight shift on the TB, but it's a damned tight fit (sitting on the fan shroud (pic #2), and this is a low profile fan) and I think it looks like complete crap .

By the way - note the quality of the aluminum from intakehoses.com - It case with a big chunk outta the side like that, I can't believe the guy shipped it that way (it was well packed, so it left the business like that). Worst purchase EVER during this whole project - awful! Not worth the asked price, should have bought locally! BUYER BEWARE.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Can you go to the other side with the GTO intake?

Andrew
Old 11-19-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Can you go to the other side with the GTO intake?

Andrew
Nope. See the pulley/tensioner to the left of the water pump inlet? It smacks into that guy.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I suppose it is possible that I can cut a half inch or so off the intakehoses.com 90º elbow a bit and just use it that way, but then I kill the pre-made lip that lets it seat on the TB, I'll still smack in the fans and risk smacking the PS pulley on bumps.

PS - the battery box is in the passenger side, so I need to consider that my battery and all the wiring will be over there when all is said and done.

PSS - I also need to consider how easy/possible it will be to route my radiator hose to the water pump outlet if I go to the passenger side also.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You might try cutting 1/2" off the elbow and then put a small bracket under the aluminum tube to hold it steady. I had to do that with mine. You can't see the bracket in the picture and have to look close to see it when you are actually looking at the car.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got any pics of that setup? I might end up doing that. I'd need to drill a provision for the air intake temp sensor too ....

I just didn't like the look of that setup with the way everything hooked together. Looks better with the air filter at the end of the tube. Curious to see what things look like around your MAF and TB.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

*bump*
Old 11-20-2006, 12:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you have your computer tuned delete the MAF. run a SD tune, then you can do whatever you want with the tubing without having to worry about the stupid MAF
Old 11-20-2006, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cop Car
when you have your computer tuned delete the MAF. run a SD tune, then you can do whatever you want with the tubing without having to worry about the stupid MAF
But if you ever do any mods you will need a retune and the computer can't correct on it's own anymore. At least that's how I understood it.

Just a thought.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Shifty no answers for ya. But I've been watching your build, you have done some really nice work. Hope mine turns half as nice.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:54 AM
10 Second Club

what mods are you wanting to do later that would need it to be retuned?

if you are going to cam it or put diffrent heads on it or substantialy change the exhaust set up you would need a retune either way.. i cant forsee any changes where it being SD or MAF tune would matter.. you would need to retune in either case
Old 11-27-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, Indyjc.

Cop Car - no idea what I might do later. Depends on how happy I am with the way it feels. I would love to delete the MAF, but I have already done my reprogramming and not wanting to drop $500 on ls1edit or $100-150 on yet another reprogram on an engine that hasn't even been started by me yet.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

well id suggest just getting it running with whatever works as a temporary situation, then when you cam it or when you are comfortable with it have it retuned
Old 11-27-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just have such a hard time believing that nobody makes a generic version of the S&P part shown above that will bolt directly to a GenIII MAF. Can't be that unique. You could pretty easily fit the stupid thing with an AIT sensor...
Old 11-27-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not build a "Y" for the TB? Split the two sides with smaller diameter tube with two air filters, one on either side. But you'd have to delete the MAF.

SLP made one for the LT1 motor that turned 90 degrees off the throttle body using the rubber elbow, split into two smaller pipes, one on top of the other. Something like that may work also.

Last edited by philntx; 11-27-2006 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Intake options/advice?