Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torque cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default torque cam

I'm getting ready for my nice tax return. I was looking at doing a cam swap and keeping my stock heads. I was looking for somethign that has a lot of under the curve power with keeping the stock heads. I wanted to drop off my car and get a built rear, ls7 clutch cam swap and a tune with my refund. So what kidn of cam shoud I be looking into, I don't want to rev pas tthe stock rev limiter. I don't mind having to change out the springs and such but I don't want to have to change them every 25k either. I just what the maximum under the curve power and peak around 6k. Is there anything on the market like that?
Old 11-20-2006, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
I'm getting ready for my nice tax return. I was looking at doing a cam swap and keeping my stock heads. I was looking for somethign that has a lot of under the curve power with keeping the stock heads. I wanted to drop off my car and get a built rear, ls7 clutch cam swap and a tune with my refund. So what kidn of cam shoud I be looking into, I don't want to rev pas tthe stock rev limiter. I don't mind having to change out the springs and such but I don't want to have to change them every 25k either. I just what the maximum under the curve power and peak around 6k. Is there anything on the market like that?
If you're not going to do much with the rest of the engine, I would stay with the factory LS6 grind and maintain all the curent driveability. Otherwise to take advantage of a more agressive grind you will have to do something with the heads and intake.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Ever 25k, gee how many miles a year do you do?

and why don't you want to spin it any higher than the stock red line. I mean you don't really want something making PEAK there if it has the ability to hold the power longer. Generally you'd want to shift after PEAK to make the most of the high end powerband and to bring you in higher up the rpms in the next gear.

I guess a budget option would be something like a GM Hotcam. Fair do it's not the best there is but it's cheap and for the grind performs pretty decently and I think would match you requirements.

Or something like a TR224/224, but I guess you'd see better results from it if you spun the motor higher.

Thunder Racing has a nice list of cams they offer with the grind and rpm range. I think they make a "torque" cam as well, although I guess it's more aimed at trucks. I'd have a look on their website for some ideas.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:59 AM
TECH Regular

i am very pleased with the torque curve on my cam (see sig) I will also be selling it soon b/c i'm going with a Twin Turbo setup. Sounds mean as hell too...
Old 11-20-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
...and why don't you want to spin it any higher than the stock red line. I mean you don't really want something making PEAK there if it has the ability to hold the power longer. Generally you'd want to shift after PEAK to make the most of the high end powerband and to bring you in higher up the rpms in the next gear.
I agree with the theory, but if he's looking for a little extra power on the street, it may seem reasonable to want a cam with a power peak of 5800 rpm. He has stock gears & manifolds so those are somewhat limiting factors. With 3.42s on the street it is hard to safely find places to wind out 3rd gear. Certainly a 5800 rpm peak is not optimal for drag racing but it can make his car faster & more fun to drive

IIRC, comp XE lobes are available in small durations and those lobes should allow springs should last well in excess of 25k miles. I'd look at 212/220 112 110. It will boost top power some and have a nice gain in the midrange as well as in the low end.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm looking for a cam that is fun on the street. I only go to the strip maybe once or twice a year. So, I want to feel the power everyday when i'm normally shifting at 3.5-4k. I said I didn't want to change spring a lot because in the research i've done, some peopel say that high lift cams make the valves wear out quickly. I drive 400-450 miles a week, so i would be changing those springs almost yearly. If there is a cam that makes good under the curve power to a higher redline. That is fine too. I jsut want something that i'm going to feel everyday, not just 4k or 5k+ rpms. I also meant to say that I'll be having headers installed at that time to, so I'm not going to be choking the cam. I just want to keep the stock head right now. also, with the new rear, i'm open to changing out the gear ratio too. i was thinking 4.10s casue I never plan on going f.i. cause i'll never have the money.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headers, 4.10s, and willing to shift above redline. It would be helpful to have this information upfront.

Most of the basic cam threads apply to you. Stay with Xe lobes if you are concerned about spring life.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

check out the asa cam bud on sdpc. my buddy just got his tuned and it put down 393hp and 375 tq with all other bolt ons as well. but the beauty of that cam is it uses the ls6 springs due to its .525 lift and the springs may never have to be changed. check'er out
Old 11-20-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Headers, 4.10s, and willing to shift above redline. It would be helpful to have this information upfront.

Most of the basic cam threads apply to you. Stay with Xe lobes if you are concerned about spring life.
sorry about that. I'm willing to shift above redline, i just don't want to have to wait till high rpms to get any power. I want more pwoer across the entire powerband, more so lower because that is where I spend 99.9% of the time.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:01 AM
TECH Regular

sorry about that. I'm willing to shift above redline, i just don't want to have to wait till high rpms to get any power. I want more pwoer across the entire powerband, more so lower because that is where I spend 99.9% of the time.
I agree with that... I am also in the market for a similar cam. One that'll make great power n/a (With supporting mods) but doesn't require a 6500-7000 shift. haha I thin that's what you were saying... well that's what i'm saying
Old 11-21-2006, 08:09 AM
11 Second Club

did yall not see the post i posted above?!?i believe he has is shift point set at 6300-6400 as well
Old 11-21-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
did yall not see the post i posted above?!?i believe he has is shift point set at 6300-6400 as well
i did, i was just making my needs clearer. Were those numbers with heads too?
Old 11-21-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Reckon the PatrickG torque cam might be a good contender here. Adjusted for you SCR though unless you plan on swapping the heads later on.

224/228 .637/.639 110LSA (+0) LSK lobes.

I know PatrickG has a geat DCR with that cam lots of low end grunt but he does run 225 AFR's.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/481382-torque-coming-out-my-ears-cam-change.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/502157-224-228-637-639-110lsa-cam-dyno-results.html
Old 11-21-2006, 11:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the cam in my sig. All numbers were on that cam full weight. Its a great street cam and hauls ***. Im selling it if your interested, im getting more serious with my combo. Ill be getting either a g5x3-or g5x3. Im asking 250.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/608044-asa-cam-226-236-525-110-lsa-dyno-s.html

no that is not with heads, here is the thread that he posted in the dyno forum

Quick Reply: torque cam