Sponsored by:

Tranny Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tranny Problem

Need your input guys.

So I'm driving around town and I notice that the tranny is not locking the converter up in 3rd and it's not shifting into 4th.

I pull over and scan the car...no codes.

I take it on the highway to the next exit and the car stays in 2nd it felt like, maybe 3rd, won't shift into 4th and won't lockup. So I'm doing 50-55 pulling like 4300 rpms.

Take the next exit. I notice that the car is not really downshifting either. It felt like the tanny was in limp mode like when you throw a selonoid code (which are deleted). I come to a stop and slowly take off, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, lockup.

So now it drives fine. Is the tranny on the way out? Or is this more converter related? Can a bad converter make you loose 4th?

Fluid levels are fine, and it appears to be good in color.
It's a stock tranny w/ shift kit 52000 miles. The TC is a TCI SSF3500.

Thanks for any help.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

since you didnt turn car off and it started shifting again I would suspect and electrical fault possible B+ loss to the transmission loose connector something along those lines ,
but with all the codes deleted its hard to diagnose

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-22-2006, 07:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The codes aren't deleted If anything the converter slip might be.

I guess all those track passes on a 400+rwhp car has caught up with you
Old 11-22-2006, 07:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well honestly i dont know much about the edits but limp mode should set a code of some sort , I do know transmissions

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-22-2006, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

It didn't actually go into limp mode, just responded that way. The car has never slipped and always shifted fine. Just kinda strange for it to behave that way without any warning signs.

Not all the codes are deleted but the selenoid code A or whatever was in order to adjust for the loose converter, otherwise the looseness would set off the code all the time.

I did shut the car off when I scanned the car, just before geting on the highway. It is strange the problem just went away while driving though. Any ideas on things to look for? Electrical fault? It honestly doesn't seem mechanical.

Anyways, car will go away for the winter this week and I can review my options on a rebuild/replacement. I'm not sure if a 4l60E is gonna take the abuse of a H/C car w/ a 100shot.

Slowhawk, we'll probably be talking to your guy this upcoming spring. I just wonder if I gotta replace the converter too right away.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

Just to let you know, I drove it around today and it responded fine, even did one WOT run and it was fine.

I know it must be on borrowed time though.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well hopefully it will get you by for a while,
Lets us know if you need anything
thanks

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-24-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i Just put a SS4000 in my car and im experiencing something similar. i'll be driving it and it will unlock, it will go through all the gears but it wont lock up for a little bit and then it will. and after playin around on the interstate it wouldn't let me go into 4th but when i scanned and got the P0757 code, i cleared it and it was fine, but it still unlock ocassionally but it will always lock back up. i know for a fact its just tryin to compensate for converter slip cause it did not do this when i had the tci 3000. im trying to figure out how to tune the trans so it knows its suppose to have a "slip" now
Old 11-25-2006, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Well hopefully it will get you by for a while,
Lets us know if you need anything
thanks
Cool thanks
Old 11-25-2006, 04:20 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketCutlass
i Just put a SS4000 in my car and im experiencing something similar. i'll be driving it and it will unlock, it will go through all the gears but it wont lock up for a little bit and then it will. and after playin around on the interstate it wouldn't let me go into 4th but when i scanned and got the P0757 code, i cleared it and it was fine, but it still unlock ocassionally but it will always lock back up. i know for a fact its just tryin to compensate for converter slip cause it did not do this when i had the tci 3000. im trying to figure out how to tune the trans so it knows its suppose to have a "slip" now
What most guy's do when getting a po757 is see a tunner or use tunning software to correct this problem. First delete the code and then have the test for that code removed from your computer. This will fix the code problem. If you have lock up speed problems that will have to be adjusted through tuning as well. Vince
Old 03-24-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
First delete the code and then have the test for that code removed from your computer. This will fix the code problem.
I'm not sure I understand completely. I understand and know how to delete the code, but when you say, "have the test for that code removed," are you saying the logic for my TCM must be rerwitten? Or is it also a check box in, say HPTuners?

Thanks.