General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I'm lost, anyone have any idea what's gong on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Default I'm lost, anyone have any idea what's gong on?

I've put about 4000 miles on my 02 Z28 since I put the heads and cam in with no problems at all. A few weeks ago it started acting stupid.

When I'm driving, this is what happens. The ABS INOP light, Service light, TRAC light, BRAKE light all come on at the same time, and then when accelerating the motor sounds/feels like it's missing on a cyl, like it's jerking. When braking, it feels like the ABS is kicking in and the pedal kicks back at you, when its just a normal stop. Every once in a while, the tach and gas needles go all the way to zero for a few seconds. Also, the ASR light flashes.

I'm confused, there is no check engine light so no codes. It only is like that half the time, the other half it's totaly fine. Motor runs strong and brakes work great. All of the issues happen at the same time, and will just go away by themselves.

I thought it was just bad gas, but I've been through 3 tanks now. I changed the fuel filter, pulled 2 plugs and they looked great, pulled and cleaned the ABS sensors on the rear, and checked the electrical connections on the motor. Anyone have any clue what's going on?
Old 11-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, being as its 4000 k after h/c, i would not expect it to b directly related to that. But that is definitley strange, I have never really heard of anything like it b4. Maybe take it to a LS1 shop, and have them take a look just to give u some type of idea of what it could be.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would say to check your grounds and charging system
Old 11-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I agree that you probably have a loose engine to chassis ground or engine to cab. Your brake and ABS lights are usually first to light up when there is a lack of voltage. Did you paint over any grounds? When you accel and your engine moves in the engine bay, something is loosing connection.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Regular

I cleaned the grounds on the back of the head and they're all on seperate bolts. I also cleaned the ground comming off the alt. Any other grounds I should check?
Old 12-02-2006, 01:24 PM
Launching!

your diode's in your alternator might be going bad thus allowing some stray ac voltage into the charging system. AC on a DC system can play some weird tricks. just an idea
Old 05-18-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

Back up, any more ideas?
Old 05-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

May be a long shot, but I have seen ignition coils short internally and basically backfire electricity threw the vehicle electronics. This has caused warning lights to come on with no codes and engine to buck/jerk. Changing coils would be very expensive, so if this is the case you will need some one with the capability to monitor the fault as it happens to isolate which cylinder(s). just my .02
Old 05-18-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing exact thing happen a few times and then my speakers started to whine real bad whether the radio was on or off. It turned out the positive battery cable was corroded. Battery acid leaked inside the insulation and rotted the cable from the inside out.

Check all your positive connections real good. Pull the cover off that positive battery connector and I bet you'll find it's all corroded under there.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking something is wrong with either the charging system or ignition system like others mentioned. Possible change with a spare alternator or set of coils and see if that does the trick.