Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking after Start up????

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking after Start up????

I installed a new cam (X1 from mti). Changed the oil pump, timing chain, pushrods, valve springs, seats seals, retainers etc. After letting the car run for a few minutes, I'll drive and the motor will tick after about 20 minutes. It gets worse as I drive. If I stop and let the motor take a breather from the throttle, just letting it idle, the noise will go away. But then after driving it again it will come back. Any help would be appreciated. I was told to change the lifters but wasn't sure if it may be a loose rocker or maybe a oilpump seal problem. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

did you remove the headers for any reason??
allmost sounds like an exhaust leak.

i would double check the rockers are all torqued down to spec and didnt come loose on you.
installing the oil pump seal incorrectly would create little to no oil pressure which in turn would cause the valvetrain to be noisey...check your oil pressure.

hope this is of some help to you..

rick
Old 11-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard of this oil pump seal thing...I dont know what its characteristics are except GMs TSB. Does it when cold, goes away when warm, does it again when hot. Thats about all I know. Oh, its also "unlike any other noises these engines develop after 3-4000 miles"-GM lol.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Teching In

i think it sounds like a lifter has collapsed but like tntramair said it could also be and exhaust leak i keep blowing header gaskets on my car and when i first start it up its got like a ticking sound and then when i drive down the highway or just when the engine is warm i don't hear it but when i get stuck in rush hour traffic and my engine temp starts getting up there its really bad but i firmlly believe to check your lifters and rockers and exhaust leak wouln't really bring to much of a concern you should beable to tell if it is and if all else fails check all the header bolts to make sure they are tight or if they are maybe go a little tighter and start it up and see if the tick is still there or if its gotten better if not process of elimination check the lifters and rockers
Old 11-24-2006, 10:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WS6ta98
I installed a new cam (X1 from mti). Changed the oil pump, timing chain, pushrods, valve springs, seats seals, retainers etc. After letting the car run for a few minutes, I'll drive and the motor will tick after about 20 minutes. It gets worse as I drive. If I stop and let the motor take a breather from the throttle, just letting it idle, the noise will go away. But then after driving it again it will come back. Any help would be appreciated. I was told to change the lifters but wasn't sure if it may be a loose rocker or maybe a oilpump seal problem. Thanks in advance.

SAAAAAME exact problem I am having. I have it at the shop right now. I just installed the MS4 cam with heads and new ewp and I have the EXACT same problem.

My guy thinks it is the pushrods being the wrong length. Maybe we need 1.735 not 1.74's? We will see.

I will let you know what the heck the problem is when I find out.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6ta98
Based on your description, it sounds like an oil pressure issue. What is your oil pressure at cold start, first 20 minutes and then when its ticking?

What length pushrods did you install?

If you aren't losing oil pressure (keep an eye on it) your pushrods may be a smidge too short so when the aluminum block/heads expand they start making noise.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the remarks. I'll look for an exhaust leak and check my pushrods along with my rockers. Also what do I have to do to maybe tighten the oil pump bolt, do I have to take off the whole front of the motor again to do so, or can I just drop the oil pan? Also Wyckedcamaro let me know what your mechanic finds out with your problem.