Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What mods won't void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What mods won't void warranty?

Just like the title says, what can I do to my 01 SS that won't void the extended warranty on it? So far all I have is a Whisper lid and K&N Breather.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on the dealership you take it to, some are real @$$holes about any aftermarket part, others don't give a crap
Old 11-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Ok, so depending on the dealership, I could be safe with the lid, throttle body, exhaust, and a tune?
Old 11-29-2006, 04:36 PM

What kind of warranty is it?
Old 11-29-2006, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mobilebird
What kind of warranty is it?
Covers everything from powertrain to speakers. 3 years/36,000 miles.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

the throttle body might be an issue, but a lid and cat back should be ok, headers are probably out until the warranty is up, the tune should be pretty invisible to the dealership
Might want to make some subtle inquiries about how they view mods before modding
Old 11-29-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

I just bought a new car in IL last Jan. Depending on how the warranty reads, there may be very little out of the question. Of course stay away from new pistons and the like, but you might be able to get away with a lot. Read the warranty close, and then check with the dealer. He doesn't like it? Check with the other Chevy dealer on the other side of town. The dealers seem to make the calls on stuff like that.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

as long at the part doesn't cause tha failure, it doesn't void the warranty...i.e. if you replace the cats with aftermarket ones, the warranty won't cover it. It you put a lid on and don't seal it properly and it ingests a rock into your engine adn it destroys it, doesn't cover it. Now, say you have gears in your rear end and your cat fails, they can't blame the gears for killing the cat.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

it all depends on the dealer. it also depends on if the warranty is aftermarket. If it is aftermarket then the dealer isnt obligated to honor it and doesnt have to answer to anyone cause its not a GM warranty
Old 11-30-2006, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ksuburban
it all depends on the dealer. it also depends on if the warranty is aftermarket. If it is aftermarket then the dealer isnt obligated to honor it and doesnt have to answer to anyone cause its not a GM warranty
It's a GM warranty.

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:19 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1 hawk
I just bought a new car in IL last Jan. Depending on how the warranty reads, there may be very little out of the question. Of course stay away from new pistons and the like, but you might be able to get away with a lot. Read the warranty close, and then check with the dealer. He doesn't like it? Check with the other Chevy dealer on the other side of town. The dealers seem to make the calls on stuff like that.
YEP! thats a dealer call. The service manager usually asks the tech and makes the call based on what the tech says. Be friends to everyone and you can go far. When I had my IAC issues the GM dealership cut the **** out of corners trying to help me and save me money. AWESOME people!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lt1 hawk
the dealer may try to amke a call on it, but its illegal. Although you have to read the fine print, because some of the stuff it advertised as a warranty, but actually is a a promise to peform work. It specially says in those that they could void it for any reason they want. if its a gm warranty, you should be good. If the dealer tries to not perform work, bring up the magnosum(sp) act from the 70s or 80s. I have a lid on my car and had a gm major guard warranty. My t stat broke and it was taking 30 minutes for the car to get up to temperature. I brought my car into a different dealer and they said they wouldn't fix it under the warranty because of my slp lid. i asked for the manager, then ina polite manner, asked him how my lid made the t stat fail. He gave me a blank stare then said they would take care of it.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:42 AM
Launching!

I have worked a several dealers and know several people at different dealers. It all depends on teh tech and manager. I see cars that are modded and tell the manager that the mod did not cause the failure. Like the t-stat above. Now when you start installing heads cams and any internal items than it is void. If you get a tune take it out before going to the dealer (if you can). My dealer is very funny about tunes. Sometimes they cover it and sometimes they don't. Lids and exhaust after the cats (last 02 sensor) is ok. Just be real polite and friends with your local dealer and you shoul not have a problem.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:03 PM

I had a bumper to bumper warranty on my car that recently expired and there was a lot of stuff that it didn't cover. Make sure you read the fine print. I know it didn't cover stuff like exhaust system or weather stripping.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Banned

I had a bumper to bumper too. They replaced a failing rear end, but wouldn't touch the window switches on the driver's door. They did replace the power window motor though..
Old 12-11-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

SEMA states that a dealership can not void any warranty or deny warranty work due to an aftermarket part that is installed on a car UNLESS THAT PART IS THE DIRECT CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM. i.e., if your MAF screws up and you have an oiled K&N filter on they can void it, but if it's the stock one and they notice you have a cat-back on the car, then they can't void it due to the aftermarket exhaust.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

it all depends on the dealer. the ones in my town are pretty dumb. one of the ford dealers tried to decline warrenty work on my buddies 03 cobra because it had a supercharger.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

The "Wait" mod. If you really want the warranty Id do nothing besides Catback and a Lid and maybe a smooth bellow. Just My opinion. Oh yeah, sneak a cam in too
Old 12-14-2006, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

get some n20 amd if something happens take the kit off and flush you motor a few times. so they have less of a chance of detecting anything.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Launching!

I agree it depends totally on the dealership. Try to be nice and make friends with the service people. Dont be cocky or act like an *** with them and they may overlook certain mods to a point. Case in point: I bought my 02 in June and I have a good friend that is part owner and General Manager of a local Chevy/Pontiac/GMC dealership. He cut me a great deal on a 2 yr GM extended warranty. Me and his Master Tech installed my longtubes and catted Y on a lift at the dealership! We will be installing a Vigilante stall over the winter at the dealership as well. My point is that it pays to have a friend in the service department.

Quick Reply: What mods won't void warranty?