Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAC header install

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAC header install

I have a few buddies that drive cobra's and all rock the MAC exhausts and we found out that they had them for the LS1's too so I decided to go ahead and try it out....I got the headers back and am looking to install them tomorrow since it's my day off..Has anybody done these or know what problems I can forward to running into? I am doing it on a lift though so I am figuring it should be too horrible....any info will help. Thanks guys
Old 12-12-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where did you get them and was it a good price?
Old 12-12-2006, 04:57 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great comparison you have there..... two different cars, two different headers, two different styles...

The Mustang guys usually run long tube Mac's, Mac only makes midlength headers for these cars. A longtube header would do much better, now and in the future especially. Did you get a y-pipe too? The stocker won't bolt to them.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:13 PM
11 Second Club

I had Mac's on mine. Make good power but long tubes give a little more and sound less raspy. Good headers none the less tho. No real fitment issues. Check the welds inside the primaries, you may want to clean em up with a dremel. I recently switched to longtubes.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

No point in rehashing the whole debate, you can skim the main issues here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/613881-mac-vs-pacesetters.html

They go in fairly easily. I just pulled my coil packs and valve covers and dropped them in from the top. Sometimes you need to pull the steering linkage, sometimes not. I've only had to grind the casting tab on the block of one car to get them to fit, usually you don't need to but it's possible.

Honestly though, unless you got a great price you should have gotten LT's.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:44 PM
12 Second Club

im going to try to install mine tomorrow. ive got a lift to work with so im going to try to put them in from the bottom
Old 12-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Yeah I got the MAC mid length headers , Y-pipe and exhaust as a package...total it was around 1300 but im just curious if it will sound as good on my car as my friends and yeah I know they run long tubes but like you said they only got mids for us...hoping to make a few sound clips if it sounds nice...if not im gonna have to pick a new exhaust haha. Just went out on a wing though and thought I would try something different than QTP and Kooks...

In short im obsessive compulsive and I have the MAC exhaust so I HAD to have the MAC headers...gay I know but it's a quirk of mine

Last edited by DangerousCurvesZ28; 12-12-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't waste my time installing MAC mid length headers. There is a reason why everyone likes the QTP and Kooks headers.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

I've had MACs, and two sets of QTPs.

On my car, the MACs were a PAIN to install. I won't get into a rant, but, AFTER they were in, there were no issues.

One set of QTPs went in EASY and there were NO clearance issues. Great power.

Last set of QTPs went in EASY, and I had to grind a bit (no big deal), and even better power.

I had to jack the motor up for the MACs, ever after removing the valve covers, and everything else. What a PITA. You'll get better ground clearance (IMHO) with the MACs (also considering the Y-pipe). I'd make sure that you keep an eye on their cats' though. I thought I remembered reading problems, in the past, with their cats'.

Good luck. I liked them.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by radz282003
I've had MACs, and two sets of QTPs.

On my car, the MACs were a PAIN to install. I won't get into a rant, but, AFTER they were in, there were no issues.

One set of QTPs went in EASY and there were NO clearance issues. Great power.

Last set of QTPs went in EASY, and I had to grind a bit (no big deal), and even better power.

I had to jack the motor up for the MACs, ever after removing the valve covers, and everything else. What a PITA. You'll get better ground clearance (IMHO) with the MACs (also considering the Y-pipe). I'd make sure that you keep an eye on their cats' though. I thought I remembered reading problems, in the past, with their cats'.

Good luck. I liked them.

Wow, my Macs went it smooth, without a lift. did have to grind a little of the casting block on the passenger side as well, but besides that it was easy. hell, the driver side header would fall straight threw if i wasnt holding it up.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Ok...the MAC's were the biggest pain in the *** to install...we had to lift the motor...take the oil filer out...it took 7 hours to take the old headers and exhaust off and get the new headers , ypipe, and exhaust on. And sadly I think I may change them again in spring. It sounds good but I personally dont think it's loud enough
Old 12-14-2006, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

No matter what you do to it it'll never sound like your friends Cobras tho.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Well I wouldnt have wanted it to sound exactly like their cobra's...Two different engines. Figured if they can make a cobra sound sweet then they could do the same for our cars
Old 12-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Launching!

My Mac's werent easy to get in either. The passenger side went in easy from the bottom but there was no way I could find to get the driver side in from the bottom. That side went in from the top after the coil pack came off and the steering linkage was disconnected.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

Every MAC that i've installed dropped in very easily from the top.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Installed my MACs in a tight, 1-car garage on ramps. Remove the coil packs, plugs/wires and passenger side VC and they should drop in from the top. The MACs were some of the best-fitting, easily installed headers I've ever seen. I don't know how you guys had any problems with them... For a few extra HP, clean up the welds and do "the collector mod" to remove the ball/flange. DO NOT use MAC cats. I re-ued my factory cats in the MAC pipe and still made 18-20rwhp.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Benjamin Russick
DO NOT use MAC cats.
Why??
Old 12-23-2006, 11:39 PM
Teching In

I am just getting ready to finish my mac header install... It has been a horrible experience. The drivers side went in relatively easily from the bottom.. the passenger side on the other hand did not. I ended up having to loosen the motor mount on the passenger side and jack up the engine enough to fit it up. What a pain! It better be worth it.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by keliente
Why??
MAC cats don't flow very well at all. I believe they were found to be more restrictive than the stock converters.

When I first installed my MACs it took forever and I was in a shop with a lift. Installed from the bottom. Did the motor jacking thing as well. Broke a few plugs and so on. After I removed my AIR and EGR and relocated my coil packs, I was able to remove them from the top with no interference from anything. Had them out in about 15 minutes.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bird-Of-Prey
MAC cats don't flow very well at all. I believe they were found to be more restrictive than the stock converters.

When I first installed my MACs it took forever and I was in a shop with a lift. Installed from the bottom. Did the motor jacking thing as well. Broke a few plugs and so on. After I removed my AIR and EGR and relocated my coil packs, I was able to remove them from the top with no interference from anything. Had them out in about 15 minutes.
SHould have installed them from the top, they'll drop right in.

As said though, the mac cats flow worse than stock.