Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Mandrel Bent Piping for FMIC...is it really that important???

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Mandrel Bent Piping for FMIC...is it really that important???

I'm doing a FMIC install myself, so i'm going to be "designing" the plumbing system for it from the STS kit...to the FMIC, through the MAF and then over to the TB.

I've been offered many suggestions for this other than the one I am about to propose. Most guys will either just buy the plumbing kit ($$$), buy mandrel bent piping with A LOT of silicone couplers, chop the crap out of the piping and make it fit ($$ + a lot of time), OR what if I were to just take the car with the bumper off to a local muffler shop and have them "FAB" up the piping using either S. Steel, regular Steel, possibly aluminum...whatever.

The piping won't be mandrel bent, but I won't have to worry about couplers flying off in higher boost, and the work should be pretty flush without any fitment issues. I think the look will be good and since he's doing it himself and has all the appropriate tools, ground clearance shouldn't be an issue.

What are y'alls thoughts? Flow issues, etc??

I have a buddy with an 89 TT Fox Body and did the FMIC piping himself. He made the model of all the bends then took it to a muffler shop to weld up. It looks good, flows well, no fitment issues...etc.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

crush bends suck.... this is where the power is being delivered....dont spend thousands of dollars to turbo ur car and skimp on the delivery of ur power. bring it to a performance shop, and have them make the pipes from mandrals
Old 12-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Restricted User

Your flow will indeed suffer. If you need some numbers crunched, I can mathematically show you the flow difference. Also, make sure you either bead roll or put a few 1 inch welds around the outside end of each pipe so your silicone stays on under pressure.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your turbo will have to work harder to deliver the set psi... you'll suffer a drop in psi compared to a smoother bend with better transition
Old 12-13-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

So, I should go to summit and buy a bunch of different mandrel bends and then somehow put it all together? Performance shops charge out of the a$$ to do that kind of stuff

I was just looking under the hood and noticed that I have VERY LITTLE room to get the piping up. Either the radiator coolant line is in the way...or the ABS system is in the way...or the pulley tensioner is in the way...?? Wow, this could possibly suck!
Old 12-13-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

You wouldn't want crimpped piping restricting your exhaust, so why would you want it restricting the intake.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

search for my post i have pics of my intercooler setup
Old 12-13-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I chatted within the post your started already. Seriously...the setup looks great, but I really wish you could have documented all the actual parts and cuts you used...I'd have paid $$ to get that stuff from you, and I'm sure others would have also!

I need to search for some people with a custom FMIC and see how they ran the intake pipe up to the TB. That's my concern thus far.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i remember some PM me and i give the list of evrything
Old 12-14-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pdanrichey
So, I should go to summit and buy a bunch of different mandrel bends and then somehow put it all together? Performance shops charge out of the a$$ to do that kind of stuff

I was just looking under the hood and noticed that I have VERY LITTLE room to get the piping up. Either the radiator coolant line is in the way...or the ABS system is in the way...or the pulley tensioner is in the way...?? Wow, this could possibly suck!
You could mock up the entire thing in correct diameter PVC. That junk's cheap, widely available and comes in common bends you will need for pipe. When you mock up, you can see what is in the way and move it. Then, you can figure out exactly where to weld or have your mandrel bends/straight pipe welded together. I would say minimize the need for couplers, especially in bends. You will need some, and a hump or two for engine movement. But you can then custom fab your pipe sections, buy the proper couplers and hopefully keep your cost overrun down, based on your mock up. That way should keep you from buying too many extra bends and couplers, but there is a possiblity of screwing up and being short, but it is not probable. Don't forget what NOSJohn said - thats gold.

If you buy a ton of pipe and couplers and just start trying to connect the TB, ics and blower, you will be doing it the hard way.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Press bent pipes aren't optimal but I highly doubt you will notice it. Your turbo might have to work a little harder but that happens automatically. Crush bent pipes (with the little ridges on the inside radius) suck ***. Don't use them. I used press bent pipes on my old LT1 kit and made 554 to the tires. I rebuilt them with mandrel bent pipes and seen no difference.

That being said, an exhaust shop might rape you and you might be able to go buy a cheap welder and some mandrel u-bends and do it for the same and get a tool out of the deal.

If it's that big of a deal that you might spend several hundred dollars to do it, drive the damn thing up here to Oklahoma City and I'll build it for you. I'll even tig it so you can have the nice pretty welds to show everyone.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Speed
If it's that big of a deal that you might spend several hundred dollars to do it, drive the damn thing up here to Oklahoma City and I'll build it for you. I'll even tig it so you can have the nice pretty welds to show everyone.
How much $$?

I can stop at Winstar on the way and "win" all the money I need .
Old 12-14-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

HAHA well if the Winstar doesn't do it for you, there are like 13 more along the way now!

If you really want me to do it, we can work out the details. But it might be a little while because we are somewhat living out of boxes until we finish building a house and all my stuff is still packed up.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Speed
HAHA well if the Winstar doesn't do it for you, there are like 13 more along the way now!

If you really want me to do it, we can work out the details. But it might be a little while because we are somewhat living out of boxes until we finish building a house and all my stuff is still packed up.
Grrrr... Well, it was worth a try. I really do need it by the 1st - 2nd week of January.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I can do it at this house, just not much room. I'm getting rid of a bunch of old **** this weekend to make some more room for my own turbo build.

Just PM me with whatever you want to do and we'll work something out.