Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OEM vs. Aftermarket SS spoiler... Side by side comparisons...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 04:09 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default OEM vs. Aftermarket SS spoiler... Side by side comparisons...

Alright, lots of threads on this subject but not lots of good comparison pics SO...

..here's pics of my aftermarket spoiler and an OEM SS spoiler side by side... Not saying which is better but for the price, well... Kind of a clear winner IMHO:

If they were the same price OEM is obviously a tighter (better) fit (although I personally do NOT like the line OEM has due to being two pieces, I prefer the smoothness of my one piece spoiler, matches the quarters)...

With that said, the aftermarket spoiler is less than half the price ($240 shipped to my door) of a USED OEM spoiler (usually for for $500) and IMHO wins this competition...

EDIT: If you want to know who makes my spoiler (got it on ebay) do a search, I posted it in other threads... This thread however is soley for comparison purposes...
Old 12-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Banned

TTT since it got buried last night...
Old 12-17-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great thread. i was hopin someone would do this. i think im gonna stick with an aftermarket spoiler. just for the price.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I definitly like how the aftermarket spolier is one piece vs. two like the OEM one.
But ofcourse, I like the better fit of the OEM

To me it's a toos up...price not being a factor

BTW, What tail lights are those???
They look AWESOME!

Between the color, the wheels, hood and spoiler...your car looks REALLY good man!

Very very clean and smooth car...the ONLY thing I would have done differently myself would be some tint, no Z28 emblems and black calipers.
Stock Z06 wheels look GREAT on black and NBM Camaro's. Your car is the perfect example

I love this pic:
Old 12-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cobrakillerta
They look AWESOME!

Between the color, the wheels, hood and spoiler...your car looks REALLY good man!

Very very clean and smooth car...the ONLY thing I would have done differently myself would be some tint, no Z28 emblems and black calipers.
Stock Z06 wheels look GREAT on black and NBM Camaro's. Your car is the perfect example
Thanks! Tail lights are stock but the white and amber parts were painted with a translucent red, then cleared, then wetsanded and polished (all on the OUTSIDE of the lens...).

I JUST put the emblems back on, they were off and to be honest it looks 100x's better with them on... Breaks it up a little...

The calipers are red just to match the Z in the emblems, the tail lights and side markers... Valve covers and battery are red as well...
Old 12-17-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

You just have to work the aftermarket in there, it's not ever going to be an OEM fit, just need to take your time really. My WW spoiler fit exactly like yours but the body guy took a bunch of material off of it and used a GM one to compare off of. It can be done right.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cobrakillerta
I definitly like how the aftermarket spolier is one piece vs. two like the OEM one.
But ofcourse, I like the better fit of the OEM

To me it's a toos up...price not being a factor

They look AWESOME!

I love this pic:
ur car looks great man i love it,
hey where did u get ur hood and ur spoiler?? do the offer the ultra z hood??
and ur grill? where u get that?
im pretty much done with my performance side now i want some good looks, here are some pix of my car
http://www.myspace.com/14365759
Old 12-17-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

DEMON, I love your Z!! One of my favorite NBM F-Bods on the board (besides mine, of course ). That tail light treatment is sweet. Just wondering, did you consider sanding off the DOT text on your tails before you painted them? That would've been a nice touch.

FWIW, I prefer the OEM spoiler. I actually like the seam along the edge of the spoiler. Gives it a sharper look. I like the little bit of light reflection you get from it.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i got my spoiler from the same place you did, demon. did you drill into your body for the two middle peices? i didnt want to drill into my car so i decided just to use the outer stock oem holes. the middle peices barely dont touch the body and even if i did drill and use the screws to pull the spoiler onto the hatch it seems as if it still wouldnt eliminate the gap. just wondering how your middle part looks, the pics are to dark too notice.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:49 PM
11 Second Club

How about a write-up on how to make our tail lamps look like that!
Old 12-24-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Looks very good man, how much did you pay to have it painted? Or did it already come painted?
Old 12-24-2006, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the side by side.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

The OEM is a 2-piece? I didn't know that. What brand is your aftermarket spoiler?
Old 12-24-2006, 11:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by white_camaro
i got my spoiler from the same place you did, demon. did you drill into your body for the two middle peices? i didnt want to drill into my car so i decided just to use the outer stock oem holes. the middle peices barely dont touch the body and even if i did drill and use the screws to pull the spoiler onto the hatch it seems as if it still wouldnt eliminate the gap. just wondering how your middle part looks, the pics are to dark too notice.
Heck no I didn't drill holes... Just went and got some 3M Double Sided tape for the pedestals and pushed it down on there... Works like charm ! Do it quick so the fiberglass will cure like that... Then get it painted after a week or so...

I paid $200 to get mine painted but it looks better than factory...
Old 12-24-2006, 11:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSINISTR SS
How about a write-up on how to make our tail lamps look like that!
Just some translucent red paint from a hobby store (on the outside)... Do a search and you'll find it, I've discussed the write-up for it at least 10x's...

Quick Reply: OEM vs. Aftermarket SS spoiler... Side by side comparisons...