Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

did I ported my stock LS1 heads correctly? see the post.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 05:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default did I port my stock LS1 heads correctly? see the post.

i ported my stock LS1 heads here what i did :

1- matched the bowls to valve seat for both intake and exhaust while keeping the bowls original shape.

2- narrawing a little the valve guide boss.

3- didn't touch the short side radiaus or the floor of both intake and exhaust just polished them when i finished porting.

4- removed the rocker arm stud hump that is in the intake port until the rocker bolt threads appear and the wall of the rocker hump is even.

5- smoothed the roof of intake and exhaust and matched it to the bowl.

6- didn't realy port match the intake and exhaust openings to the gaskets.

7- i used stock valves.

correct me if there is any thing?

thanks.

Last edited by Abdullah; 12-29-2006 at 02:12 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first part of #3 wrong,# 6 wrong ,and just my opinion if you have to ask if your heads are ported right then they are probably not, but more knowledge and practice will help
Old 12-21-2006, 12:38 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you get some clear pictures of the work? Thats probably the best idea.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

i don't have a camera but i will try to post pics.

i think my heads will perform OK although i know i had to port match the intake and exhaust openings but for the short side radius and floor of intake and exhaust do i need to touch them?
Old 12-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to answer, but I've never ported a set of heads before. I just want to say my hat is off to you for jumping in and going for it!

Anyways, here's a free bump to the top for you.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01FireTurd
first part of #3 wrong,# 6 wrong ,and just my opinion if you have to ask if your heads are ported right then they are probably not, but more knowledge and practice will help
care to elaborate (prolly spelled that wrong). telling him he didnt do it right isnt really helping. please explain if you got time why you think he didint do it right, or missed something, from what he typed.

FWIW, sounds like you couldnt have hurt flow, that was my main concern. I figured I Wouldnt get pro performance or #s, didnt expect to. but just trying to improve the flow w/o paying the cash for a pro job. and ofcourse like you I wanted to learn about it.

you should post some pics if at all possible.

good luck
Old 12-21-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

it's probably a good thing that you didn't mess with the short side,since your just starting out.you can really mess up quick on the short side if you don't know what's going on.now get a good valve job.that will also make or break a good head...
Old 12-21-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didnt do much to my short side radius. Like the others said, please show some pictures...
Old 12-22-2006, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

sorry for the wait. the problem is that the heads now are assembled and i don't want to dis-assemble them i just did valve job to them and milled them 0.004" to 0.005".

i don't have camera (sorry for that) to get some pics for you but i will try to get some pics but it may take time until i find a camera to get pics for you since i'm broke now and i can't buy a new camera.

if i didn't port the heads correctly that doesn't mean i ruined them i think the heads will perform OK since i didn't touch the short side radius and the floor where it might hurt flow if you port them the wrong way. because i ported before a set of stock LT1 heads and i got good result with them i applied the same concepts i did to the LT1 heads to the LS1 heads. is that correct applying the same porting concepts to stock LT1 heads to stock LS1 heads?
Old 12-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

that takes guts, ive always wanted to try that but have never gotten down to it...
Old 12-22-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Theres nothing wrong with not gasket matching or messin with the port floors. Port floors are tricky and if left alone no harm no foul, gasket matching isnt what you want to do any way- port match. If your header gaskets are 2" in diameter then its gonna be a problem when ya hog em out for 1.75" headers, see my point. The short side radius can be tricky too so you need to atleast smooth it out and make it more roundish to help it blend into the floor straight away
Old 12-27-2006, 04:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

i took pics of the LS1 heads but i need a way to upload them to the internet any one knows how?

i only took pics of one intake port and one exhaust port because the heads are assembled and i didn't want to miss with the heads since i just did a valve job to them and assembled them. some pics are with bad quality, sorry for that.

Bo White, i feel good you are with me in what i did to the heads. i think even if i didn't port the heads as proffessionals do at least i didn't ruined the heads, i think i picked up some cfm in both intake and exhaust. i will use TSP 233/239 112lsa revision 2 cam with these heads.

Last edited by Abdullah; 12-27-2006 at 04:42 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

http://imageshack.us/

http://www.porteighty.biz/uploader/

there ya go buddy. browse, select, upload, copy/paste the message board picture one. or the link. either way.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

here is the pics :

the valve springs in the heads are the PRC 0.660" springs with titanium retainers :

Last edited by Abdullah; 12-27-2006 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

abdullah, I will try to post pics of my heads when I pick them up from thr flow bech. anyways I found those 2 pics in my phone camera.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

those pics r in the middle of my work, not the final finishing. and I think those should give u an idea on how to shape the guides.

I will post the intake and exhaust ports later.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:00 PM
11 Second Club

abdullah, did you use a sand paper drum to finish the surface? looks like you used a grinding bit only. maybe its just the pics quality? it should be smooth after you finish. also Im concerned that you didnt wash the heads off/out good enough after all your work, before assembleing the valve/springs. those things need to be VERY clean before you bolt them back on to keep from contaminating the oil/coolant with metal dust. that would be bad. try this test. get a can of brake cleaner and a rag, spray the cleaner on the rag and wipe the heads off. it should not get the rag dirty. if it does, clean them off/out again. using a brass wire brush thats shaped like a tooth brush and some good warm soapy water. if you can use a blow gun to blow out the heads after washing them.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You'd be surprised how much hp is in the floor of the intake runner.If you take out the rocker bosses,smooth the top of the runner/around valve and work the floor right you'll see some serious hp gain.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

prostock_bigblock, thanks for the pics. did you port the floor of the intake? if so how? how aboout the short side radius if i'm porting for stock valves? i don't need to miss with the short side radius?

Irocss85, i used carbide cutter ( grinding bit) and finished the ports with 80 grit cartridge roll. when they did valve job and milled the heads 0.004" to 0.005" they cleaned the heads.

Slowhawk, how to port the port floor? also do i need to port the short side radius specialy for stock valves. about my heads i didn't do any thing to the short side radius and floor just polished them with 80 grit cartridge roll since i was porting for stock valves.

Last edited by Abdullah; 12-29-2006 at 01:42 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Abdullah
prostock_bigblock, thanks for the pics. did you port the floor of the intake? if so how? how aboout the short side radius if i'm porting for stock valves? i don't need to miss with the short side radius?
basically, I didn't do much with the floor and the short side radius was just cleaned and smoothed with no major enlargement .

dont alter the shape of the short side, all u need is smoothing.

Quick Reply: did I ported my stock LS1 heads correctly? see the post.