General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Driveshaft Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft Question

I'm driving my car the other day and I floor it in first and then rip it into second and then a loud bang. So I pulled over and looked under my car and I snapped the driveshaft right in the middle. All I have is full exhaust and drag radials. Does anyone have any idea on what caused this? It is the stock aluminum one. Thanks
Old 12-21-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm aluminum ones tend to have problems unless they are balanced correctly do to the fact there not as strong as the steel ones....however one from the factory should be fine...you lucked out it didnt beat the hell out of your car....now go get a steel one and dont worry
Old 12-21-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i destroyed mine and my only mods were DRs and a lid. it was fixed under warranty but i upgraded to an LPE DS.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Sometimes **** just breaks, the tires dont help matters also
Old 12-22-2006, 09:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aluminum driveshafts aren't weaker than the steel ones. The AL shafts have thicker walls than the steel shafts to make up for the metal's "weaker" composition. The stock steel shaft is no stronger than the stock AL shaft.

Tough break man, good thing it didn't tear anything else up. Be sure to stick a DS loop in there with your new one.....you got lucky this time!
Old 12-22-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Regular

yup, sometimes, when its gonna go, its just gonna go...

i broke mine on street tires (275/40/17), with a lid and cutout. sorry to hear about your bad luck. i suggest going with an upgraded one...that being said, i picked up a stock aluminum one for $90 shipped. ill upgrade when i do the rear...

-cam
Old 12-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Teching In

About a couple of weeks ago I noticed a rattling noise under my car when i'd be driving it. It sounded like it was coming from right under the center console. I thought it was just the exhaust rattling because I took off my catback and had the stock one put back on a couple of days before that. After my driveshaft snapped I thought maybe it was that rubbing somewhere. I got another stock aluminum one and put it on and the same rattling noise. I listened to the noise a little more and it really sounds like the ds is rubbing somewhere right after the trans, but that doesn't explain why the ds snapped right in the middle. I have to look under the car better once I have more time. I just don't know what it would be rubbing on!!
Old 12-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Teching In

anyone?
Old 12-24-2006, 05:59 AM
Launching!

tourque arm maybe, if it cam unbolted, that happened to me, if your looking to get another ds aluminum, im selling my stock one it held throuh alot, my torque arm came loose after installing the 12 bolt and new ds, could have killed my friend.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Aluminum driveshafts aren't weaker than the steel ones. The AL shafts have thicker walls than the steel shafts to make up for the metal's "weaker" composition. The stock steel shaft is no stronger than the stock AL shaft.

Tough break man, good thing it didn't tear anything else up. Be sure to stick a DS loop in there with your new one.....you got lucky this time!

ive personally never seen a steel ds break, ive never seen them become unbalanced and worm....take the steel shaft and beat it on the alumn. one...see which one bends first... i think he should just save his money and get a chromoly or carbon ds...
Old 12-26-2006, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Thanks, yeah the only think I could think of was maybe its rubbing on the torque arm