Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

master or slave? pleeease help

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default master or slave? pleeease help

i been having problems with my 02 ceta. the goddamn pedal sticks to the floor. i have bled the clutch 4 times already still does it, but now when i put the new brake fluid in and i start pumping the pedal the fluid is gone.the car feels sluggish and lazy. can anybody help on this, i don't know if it's the master or the slave, because if it is the master i'll do it myself, but the slave i'll take the car to a shop.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the fluid leaking out of the bellhousing?
Old 12-23-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Same problem I was having with my car. The pedal would stick to the floor and I would have to keep pulling it back up with my foot until eventually I had no clutch at all and couldn't get it in gear. I would start with the simplest thing 1st and go from there and replace the master cylinder, that was the fix to my problem.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

I had this problem when I first bought my car in 2003. The culprit in my system was a slave that looked completely beat to hell when I removed it. Half of the time I could not shift because the pedal was on the floor. Replaced the slave...problem solved. Replacing the slave cylinder really is not that big of a project. Just set aside a day to do it. Crawl under the car, unhook hydraulic line, tranny mount, driveshaft, sensors on tranny, and the tranny to bellhousing bolts. Dont know what kind of exhaust setup you have, but it is probably in the way, so unhook the y-pipe portion of this as well. Remove the shifter, then drop the tranny out. It really is not all that hard.

When I bought my new slave from GM I hooked it right up and never even had to bleed it. My clutch works flawlessly.

Edit: Just noticed you say the fluid is disappearing?? You must be seeing where it is coming out from...take a peek if you dont know. Your bleeder might be loose, pouring fluid out the bottom of the bellhousing.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Teching In

well i took out the master but there was no leaking anywhere around it, but since i was under the car i found all the brake fluid leaking from the transmission.I'm pretty sure thats the slave right, cause i order one. is it hard to take the transmission out to get to the slave. what do i have to do
Old 12-29-2006, 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

Its a bear. I just pulled mine out today. My slave is toast as well. The clutch is due also.

It's pretty hard to do if you don't have the right resorces. It took me and a buddy 3 hours, and a few breaks. LOL. But this was the 2nd time for me. So I'm getting it down.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

Is the fluid in the master all dirty and black?
Old 12-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Teching In

theres no fluid in the master, it looks like it all goes to the slave and leaks all there, and there is nothing black there.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:33 PM
10 Second Club

Get a buddy or two to help you get it out. Get the car up on 4 stands as high as you can. And a floor/tranny jack makes it a bit easier.
The one I'm using looks like it was made in the 50's. It has steel wheels and some wierd adjusting *****. But it works. It will tilt and roll side to side.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ur looking at a new clutch if it is soaked with brake fluid too
Old 01-11-2007, 02:56 AM
Teching In

get two other people if your not strong enough and take out the 8 bolts before the bellhousing : plus the usual driveshaft and transmission brackets and slide it back - Just make sure you have a jack underneath it just in case - remove the two 10 mm bolts with a ratcheting wrench and put the new slave in over the input shaft and plug the thing back in

It is very simple - just make sure you have about 15 in.'s in extensions and a swivel and your set

Last edited by turbologics; 01-11-2007 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply: master or slave? pleeease help