Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 intake on 4.8l

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 intake on 4.8l

ok i have a 2003 gmc sierra with a 4.8l motor. i am wanting to put an ls1 intake on this motor. i have almost come to the conclusion that you can but what all does it take. what mods have to be made and what will bolt up? will the trottle body off my 4.8l still work? i want it mainly for looks not performance. if it is possible i am gonna get the one off of NXExpress that has direct port nitrous nozzles on it already and run lines to make it look like i have nitrous. any help would be appreciated thanks
Old 12-30-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok....so you want the ricer look...

gotcha...you wanna "look" fast....but could really give a damn about it.

You want to spend $500+ for the nitrous look..when you can get a "kit" for that truck for around %500..and really be fast.

Yes the LS1 intake will fit w/ some mods...but the reason is pointless...

Just buy a damn chrome intake CAI,and maybe some neeto colored wire loom and you'll be plenty "cool"

Or buy LT's,cam,CAI and a "tune" and you'll be good to go.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Launching!

Well I dont agree with it being a ricer decision since you will pick up a couple HP in the process. In order to switch to a ls1/ls6 style intake you will need to take off your belt driven fan and switch to electic fans. This will free up a couple HP. If you are doing a show truck and really want to go for looks you could look into the Weiand Polished intake http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/1794...e-Manifold.htm
(this is the non polished version.) or you could get the Polished Professional Products ls1 intake. http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...070eeacebbc646. Although your injectors might not work with it, it will clean up the look of your engine bay somewhat. Both of these intakes would work well if you decide to go Forced Induction or nitrous later on. I wouldnt bother making it "look" like it has nitrous. The money you would waste on lines, fittings and nozzles you will need to put towards a tune after you switch to electric fans.

Im not sure about your TB bolting up. If it has the same three bolt pattern as the ls1 then it should. You also need to check fitment so the TB doesnt hit the water pump.

You might want to post this on Performancetrucks.net as Im pretty sure other people have done this intake swap before.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:32 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was reading about swapping intakes on performance trucks.net and the general consensus was that it was a bad idea unless you had a very large cam and were planning on spending a lot of time above 6000RPM. They said it does gain a few HP at the top, but that the few extra HP on the top will not offset the torque loss down low. They said that the truck will feel slower than with the stock intake.

In order to swap it you will need f-body intake, fuel rails (a fuel pressure regulator since the f-body rails are single line with out a regulator and the truck is dual line with a regulator), fuel injectors, fuel injector pig tails(f-bodies and trucks use different connectors on the injectors), ditch the mechanical fan, an f-body waterpump (Truck outlet hose hits the TB on a f-body manifold), and you will need a kit to relocate the idler pulley by the alternator lower because it interferes with the TB. I think that covers all the major stuff that needs to be changed.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are mainly concered with looks, get a motor cover from an Escalade and customize it. Could do it a lot cheaper and not hurt your performanace.

Pat
Old 12-31-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the truck forum, they posted flow numbers of the different intakes. The truck intake apparently flows slightly better than the LS1, and slightly less than an LS6. The LS6 gains are at the top end. The truck guys basically think it's not worth the effort (for the LS6) considering all the work to relocate the accessories and messing with the injectors and pig tails.

Andy1
Old 12-31-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gotbags?
ok i have a 2003 gmc sierra with a 4.8l motor. i am wanting to put an ls1 intake on this motor. i have almost come to the conclusion that you can but what all does it take. what mods have to be made and what will bolt up? will the trottle body off my 4.8l still work? i want it mainly for looks not performance. if it is possible i am gonna get the one off of NXExpress that has direct port nitrous nozzles on it already and run lines to make it look like i have nitrous. any help would be appreciated thanks
How is this a conversion or hybrid question and why the hell would you rig up a fake direct port kit? I mean seriously, whats the logic here?
Old 12-31-2006, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

these guys have a page on it.
http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...ght=ls1+intake
hth
mv
Old 01-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Teching In

thanks for the replys im not going to do it i had heard that it would just interchange but all that work is not worth it thanks again
Old 01-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Banned

Ummm basically it's a dumb idea to take off the truck intake for a LS1/6 intake. The newest truck intake with the 90mm TB is the best out of all the OEM intakes, so if you are going to do something stick with that. That intake will have the least turbulence out of all the other intakes, hence why it's the best at making power.

Bret
Old 01-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Teching In

yeah i know that the truck flows better but i dont like the looks of the truck intakes so i wanted to swap to an ls1 aftermarket intake but it is 2 much trouble so im not gonna i would if the intakes would just swap out but they wont
Old 02-06-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the victor Jr!
Old 02-06-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks over performance..

who knew???!!!haha
Old 02-07-2007, 02:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also..

Drain your powersteering res. to about 1/4 full...You get that supercharger wine the women go crazy for! Without spending $4k for a real one..Who's the smart one now
Old 02-07-2007, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey man, Ill never tell someone that what they want to do is wrong to THEIR car...within reason. If you want it to have an LS1 intake because you like the looks fine. Its no different IMO than when we (me included) put Vette fuel rail covers on our swap cars. We do it because we like the way it makes our cars/engines look... But I will say I think you made the right choice to keep your stocker. Just too much work when there are other ways about this...

There is plenty you can do to your engine bay to really up the appearance if you dont mind putting alittle bit of elbow grease and alittle bit of money towards it. For instance...Im not real familiar with the truck intakes, but how about cleaning up the casting alittle bit. Get rid of any un-needed plastic, give it a good standing, and paint it a nice color. Maybe body match it...

The BIGGEST thing you can do is try to clean up the wiring. Hide it when possible, use TASTEFUL wire loom (black), and just clean everything really good. Just dont go crazy with the wire loom because it can look worse than it did.

Maybe post up a pic of your engine bay and ask for pointers on getting it into shape. Good luck man...and if you make some good progress...throw some pics up for us to see!

Justin
Old 02-07-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Hey man, Ill never tell someone that what they want to do is wrong to THEIR car...within reason. If you want it to have an LS1 intake because you like the looks fine. Its no different IMO than when we (me included) put Vette fuel rail covers on our swap cars. We do it because we like the way it makes our cars/engines look... But I will say I think you made the right choice to keep your stocker. Just too much work when there are other ways about this...

There is plenty you can do to your engine bay to really up the appearance if you dont mind putting alittle bit of elbow grease and alittle bit of money towards it. For instance...Im not real familiar with the truck intakes, but how about cleaning up the casting alittle bit. Get rid of any un-needed plastic, give it a good standing, and paint it a nice color. Maybe body match it...

The BIGGEST thing you can do is try to clean up the wiring. Hide it when possible, use TASTEFUL wire loom (black), and just clean everything really good. Just dont go crazy with the wire loom because it can look worse than it did.

Maybe post up a pic of your engine bay and ask for pointers on getting it into shape. Good luck man...and if you make some good progress...throw some pics up for us to see!

Justin
Brownie points to you for giving great advice, and not being an *** to guy because he has a diff opinion. I,m currently doing this swap but it aint for looks

Quick Reply: ls1 intake on 4.8l