Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to clean Block and heads with?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 04:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to clean Block and heads with?

If you are going to run cometics I am aware that you need to get the block and heads really clean. Other than using a plastic ice scraper and some gasket remover to get big stuff off, what else do you use?

Everyone talks aboout using a "non scratch" cleaning pad, so what exactly is this pad. Specific name brands would be appreciated. Everything I can think of like an SOS pad would scratch I would think.

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:31 AM
Teching In

scotch brite sells nonscratch cleaning pads its like the back of a sponge but bigger
Old 01-01-2007, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a 3M Finishing Pad (essentially a scotchbrite) and WD-40 to clean up my heads and pistons.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lots of wrags for the bores, lifter openings, etc., Scotch brite pads & WD 40, 250 to 400 grit sand paper and a good straight edge, rubbing alcohol, a good strong vacuum and compressed air.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

I used 3M scotchbrite and brakeclean.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just did mine using 3M "Safest Stripper" and it works great! It comes in a black plastic bottle, with a yellow label and blue/black tartan pattern. It's a white creamy gel that is odorless, won't hurt aluminum (although it will cause surface rust on iron if left on for several hours) and is essentially non-toxic. Just brush it on, wait 5-10 minutes, and then clean off with a scotch-brite, plastic scraper, or rag. Works better than anything else I've found. Note: do not use ordinary paint strippers. They usually contain methylene chloride, which can attack aluminum.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I used a bamboo chop stick to get off the heavy stuff including carbon on the pistons and then a scotch brite pad with a little denatured alcohol. Careful of the pads, they shred as you use them so make sure you get all the pieces. Be especially careful near the lifters. Once done vacuum everything good. I even put a small hose into the block and pulled out all the coolant and any dirt that got in there, you will be able to see in there with a flashlight.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GMC_DUDE
I just did mine using 3M "Safest Stripper" and it works great! It comes in a black plastic bottle, with a yellow label and blue/black tartan pattern. It's a white creamy gel that is odorless, won't hurt aluminum (although it will cause surface rust on iron if left on for several hours) and is essentially non-toxic. Just brush it on, wait 5-10 minutes, and then clean off with a scotch-brite, plastic scraper, or rag. Works better than anything else I've found. Note: do not use ordinary paint strippers. They usually contain methylene chloride, which can attack aluminum.

Where do you find this stuff at, I have checked Lowes, Wal-Mart, drugstores, and auto parts stores?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Treed Ya, you can pick up the product at just about any Ace Hardware or True Value store. It might be in a white/green 3M container.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

Ive heard the scotchbrite pads work great and you can get them anywhere.

-Lurius