Sponsored by:

02 C5 Corvette LS1 and Suspesnion in a 427 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 02:55 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 02 C5 Corvette LS1 and Suspesnion in a 427 Cobra

Nice Forum, lots of good info
Our family has a rod shop here in Texas and I thought I would share a few of our personal odd ball projects. WE love offering dead vettes up to the hot rod gods and making old cool cars even better and faster. Tell me what you all think we're always looking for feed back on our toys.

And as you can tell from photo 5, ya we shortened the torque tube a little (23 inches)

Click on them for bigger photos, this will let things load a little faster

Later
R^3

Last edited by rat_rod_russell; 01-02-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't the transaxle going to cut into your seating room pretty bad? Have done these on C1 Corvettes, but never could figure how to make them work on C2 Vettes. The transaxle just intrudes too much into the area between the seats, and I know that on the Cobra, you are almost sitting on top of the rear axle as it is. I am right down the highway from you, and would like to take a peek at it when you start getting it together.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 01-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Launching!

No Not Really, a real fat guy might have some problems but, it makes a great arm rest.

The C2-C3 Vettes are next on my list of victims I have a 78 that's going to get a 2003 Z06 with STS Turbos and a roll cage. its going to be and all out road race car that's just barly street leagle
Old 01-02-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!!
Old 01-02-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks good. Have one ???? though what goes into shortening the torque tube while ensuring no vibrations or failure. Thanks and keep wrenching
Old 01-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Launching!

I take it to Austin Drive line and have them turn off the weld holding the end cap, the cut it, true it (normally better than factory, I’ve gotten 1 that was 1/4" to one side.) and they weld it up. The drive shaft inside the tube is just an aluminum drive shaft with rubber biscuits instead of universals. I have a guy in San Antonio who cuts and balances them. Bolt it up and run with it. Me, I like the 97-98 Vette tubes. They are bolted at both end and are in my opinion beefier than the later C5 or C6’s with the 4” snap ring holding it in.

Shortening the tubes makes them a lot stronger the trick comes in lengthening them. The drive shaft has a ring on it to keep it from developing harmonic vibrations so on the 57 Chevy we’re doing it has 2 rings to keep the longer shaft in check.

As for the frames, our frame table has several lasers and normally 5-10 measuring tape strung across it and it all gets tacked to the table and measured another 50 times before anything ever gets welded out
Old 01-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Nice job on the transaxle conversion.

What does your guy charge to shorten and rebalance the torque tube / driveshaft?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Launching!

I have two diffrent guys cutting mine. One on the tube for about 150 and another who dose the drive shaft, I'll have to get back to you on this one I don't know what he's going to charge me now that I won't need to pay for tooling I hope in the 200 area last time because of the tooling it was 750.

R^3
Old 01-08-2007, 06:46 AM
Launching!

Nice project,ive been thinking of doing a cobra in the future with c5 stuff ,guess ill have to start collecting parts now.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:39 AM
Launching!

I have been posting in a cobra forum and the funny thing is all the crap they whine about sizing and fit in the foot box ext I haven’t had a problem with any of it. Going to run the C5 vette seats to they don’t like the head rest but I guess there cast iron antiques don’t snap your head back like my 32 roadster and that’s a mild car with stock LS motor from a 98 Firebird. I bought it with over 100k on it and the damn thing still runs like a scolded dog.

Oh and it only weights 1956LB so that helps.

Ask 99c5vert Light cars with LS motors = fun
Old 01-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Crovette Drive shaft $300.00
so 450 total and they can cut it down as far as you want

I'll post when I get the 57 drive shaft it's going to need to be longer. any one doing a truck or old shoe box will want that info

and damn this thing is short i'll post some photos when my camera comes back

Last edited by rat_rod_russell; 01-12-2007 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Neat Project. Keep us informed.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:35 AM
Launching!

Default The end of all Z06 Corvettes, The Shelby Z06

We sold this one to a guy out of Arizona he'll be taking it as a rolling chassis but we cracked into the crate with the LS 7 in is and we will be using it to set up our Track terror. Using a C5 (Unless I can find a wrecked Z06) upgrading the brakes and swapping the LS 1 for the LS 7 we are also looking to narrow the rear end on this one to put a set of 345/40/19's under the back so you can get that light car to hook up. As soon as we get the rest of the fiberglass and hinges done we will be putting this little one on the scales and seeing what it's going to weigh in at. I think we'll keep it under 2k or be damn close.

This is going to **** of some ford guy i know but the fun part is this thing will run circles around a new Vette ahhhhh sweet

THE 427 HERETIC COBRA

Old 01-28-2007, 12:55 AM
Launching!

The Drive Shaft
Short Little Twerp

Old 01-28-2007, 06:49 AM
Staging Lane

Very nice project. Thanks for the pictures.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

WOW. this has to be one of the coolest conversions i have seen. Where did you get the body shell?
Old 01-28-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

very nice man!

question for ya... how much power will you be putting down? I've heard C5 diffs will have problems with high powers... first with half shafts, then with the housing. DTE sells hardened stuff, and a brace to solve those issues. Of course, having less weight will help with all that.

Great work.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love the idea, but i think it would have been killer to have the lug pattern changed over to a Ford so that you could have used the wheels that are typically used on them, but that's just because i love the look of them. cool project anyway, wish i could afford to take it off your hands when you were done with it.

-Dave-
Old 01-28-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

this is a bad *** project...I can't wait to see the finished pics...
Old 01-28-2007, 11:29 PM
Launching!

We picked up the molds for the bodies real cheap. A guy just wanted out of them it just so happened that they were damn nice molds.

As for power this thing going to be so light I'm going to do anything to this one, like every project I already have ideas to make the next one better, and the "guy" who just had to have it has already found me so this one's gone but for the next one i'm looking for a whole C6 Z06 and then we go **** of the Ford-tards with vette rims, steering wheel, and i'll try to get the Z06 seats just for added flavor.

As for your strength question the next one i'm looking at building extra mounts at the back of the motor, and at the front of the torque tube to help put that power into the frame and not the case, also a kick out in the rear to make the frame more stable at high speeds. the last and best part is I'll be narrowing the rear to fit a set of 345/30/19's Just so I'll be able to hook up with the LS7.

Hopefully my friend will be coming by with his scales and we'll weigh it and find the front to back split and total. I think I can keep it under 2000 LB.

I have a 1932 Ford roadster with LS 1, t56, C4 suspension, and a custom frame. The cop yesterday told me he could not get a clock on me but he knew i was speeding but since he could not prove it he could not write the ticket but "He's going to keep and i on me" It took him 3 miles to catch up and when i passed his camping ground i was doing every bit of 95 and gaining. the only reason he caught me was because of a trafic light and other cars because we were racing to lunch, last one buys and dad had a head start Dumb city cop.

This 32 Ford only weights 1956LB, motors stock 98 Firebird, and it won't hook up for squat but once you hit 2nd your gone. With the trans axle this thing should hook up

R^3

Quick Reply: 02 C5 Corvette LS1 and Suspesnion in a 427 Cobra