General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Might be off topic, but does anyone know how much T/A's go for at car auctions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might be off topic, but does anyone know how much T/A's go for at car auctions?

I'm planning to sell my Neon and save up some cash for a LS1 WS6 sometime near summer. They seem to be going for a little bit out of my price range on the "Vehicles for Sale" board and car sites, such as autotrader, cars.com, etc.

Anyway, I know at least 5 people with access to a host of different car auctions. So yeah, I could definitely go to a car auction. In fact, that is where I bought my Neon.

Does anyone here go to car auctions? If so, just how much do LS1 WS6's go for? What is the average difference between one for sale at an auction and one for sale from a private party, assuming both are alike in years and mileage? And how common are they?

Thanks a lot guys.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:07 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not too much really. 7-10K normally from what I have heard.

This stands to reason based on what they are priced at on the lot, goes for 9500 at auction, dealer puts on new brakes, changes the oil, details it, whatever, and sets it on the lot for $16,995 and then gets talked down to 14,500 and makes a good 3500-4500 off the car.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
Not too much really. 7-10K normally from what I have heard.
Man I hope you're right. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sirusboy
Man I hope you're right. Thanks for the info.
They aren't that costly at auction really. Why do you want a WS6?

PS. I have Traction Control
Old 01-05-2007, 12:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a WS6 but I paid $6700 for mine 2 years ago from a car auction.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:26 AM
Staging Lane

They aren't that costly at auction really. Why do you want a WS6?

PS. I have Traction Control
I think I want a WS6 for the reasons that most people want WS6's... The famous hood.

Yeah, yeah, I know... The WS6 is no faster than a reg. T/A. And I know, I could get a reg. T/A and just buy a hood, paint it, etc. I don't think I would want to go through all that trouble and still not have a true WS6.

P.S. You might have Traction Control, but can you get traction when it's raining cats and dogs and/or in snow?
Old 01-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Trust
Not a WS6 but I paid $6700 for mine 2 years ago from a car auction.
Wow. $6,700 for a '98 non-WS6 2 years ago. That's pretty good!

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-05-2007, 12:42 AM
Banned

I think I want a WS6 for the reasons that most people want WS6's... The famous hood.

Yeah, yeah, I know... The WS6 is no faster than a reg. T/A. And I know, I could get a reg. T/A and just buy a hood, paint it, etc. I don't think I would want to go through all that trouble and still not have a true WS6.

P.S. You might have Traction Control, but can you get traction when it's raining cats and dogs and/or in snow?
Yes, this car hooks GREAT in all weather, even shifting hard at 2500-3K rpm on wet asphault. It just depends on the tires. Mine hook nicely, wet OR dry. I even hit the brakes pretty hard from a 30mph roll to see if they would skid, It did not skid at a level of brake-slamming I was confortable with, EASILY 2X as hard as I apply them during normal dry weather driving.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

Yes, this car hooks GREAT in all weather, even shifting hard at 2500-3K rpm on wet asphault. It just depends on the tires. Mine hook nicely, wet OR dry. I even hit the brakes pretty hard from a 30mph roll to see if they would skid, It did not skid at a level of brake-slamming I was confortable with, EASILY 2X as hard as I apply them during normal dry weather driving.
Really? What a way to own me and my signature.

Ah, yes, the tires. That's what I figured is one of the, if not the most important in getting traction. One of my buddies has a TT '96 Supra. When he first got it, he would be lucky to hook in first gear at high boost. When he changed the tires though... Damn.

Sweet car by the way.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:25 AM
Banned

Really? What a way to own me and my signature.

Ah, yes, the tires. That's what I figured is one of the, if not the most important in getting traction. One of my buddies has a TT '96 Supra. When he first got it, he would be lucky to hook in first gear at high boost. When he changed the tires though... Damn.

Sweet car by the way.
Tires matter A LOT! My 95 TA wouldnt hook for CRAP in the rain on Cooper Zeon's, but this TA on BFG TA/KDW's hooks pretty well for the wet!
Old 01-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Tires matter A LOT! My 95 TA wouldnt hook for CRAP in the rain on Cooper Zeon's, but this TA on BFG TA/KDW's hooks pretty well for the wet!
I figured that. From what I've heard though, T/A's get pretty nasty on wet pavement. One of my friend's brother had a LT1 T/A. He said he couldn't even hit above 2.5k without losing a large amount of traction... But none of the people I know went to ls1tech though.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Banned

I figured that. From what I've heard though, T/A's get pretty nasty on wet pavement. One of my friend's brother had a LT1 T/A. He said he couldn't even hit above 2.5k without losing a large amount of traction... But none of the people I know went to ls1tech though.
My LT1 A4 had crappy traction in wet due to the POS Cooper Zeon's I put on it, but my M6 WS6 LS1 car is just fine in the wet and I can accelerate VERY brisqly without losing traction if/when I choose to. If I do lose traction on a shift, the TC is pretty helpful, not overbearing (It will allow a LITTLE spin) but very good at keeping you from getting away from yourself.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Aside from the vehicle the season and the location and the size of the auction have a huge factor. Bigger auctions usually get cleaner, better cars but at the same time the bids also go higher. When I got my car in fall LS1 F-body's were hard as hell to find at a dealer ship or at a auction. Due to the reason it was a clean one owner car with all the options the bids went up high as hell even though it had 90K miles.

In your area the story could be completely the other way around.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Banned

Dallas is a good place to start looking.

www.lightningmotorsports.net

I visited them once, they pissed in my cheerios, I bought elsewhere. They do have decent prices though and I know for a fact those prices can be haggled down. You might want to check them out. I know a few other people in the Dallas/FtWorth area you may be interested in meeting as well.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

If youre willing to take less than a ws6 Im sure you could hold out and get a cheap trans am or formula. I bought my Formula last month for $5500.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn ya'll are getting good deals i bought my z for 9000 in april with 75k on it. but that was from a private seller too.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:50 AM
Staging Lane

My LT1 A4 had crappy traction in wet due to the POS Cooper Zeon's I put on it, but my M6 WS6 LS1 car is just fine in the wet and I can accelerate VERY brisqly without losing traction if/when I choose to. If I do lose traction on a shift, the TC is pretty helpful, not overbearing (It will allow a LITTLE spin) but very good at keeping you from getting away from yourself.
Can you explain or at least point me in a direction that says what exactly traction control does? My friend said that TC is pretty much useless, as it just limits the amount of power it puts at the wheels and you can do it by yourself.

Originally Posted by Ashish
Aside from the vehicle the season and the location and the size of the auction have a huge factor. Bigger auctions usually get cleaner, better cars but at the same time the bids also go higher. When I got my car in fall LS1 F-body's were hard as hell to find at a dealer ship or at a auction. Due to the reason it was a clean one owner car with all the options the bids went up high as hell even though it had 90K miles.

In your area the story could be completely the other way around.

Well, I live near Dallas, TX. I also plan to purchase it around summer time. I think that WS6's should be pretty common to Dallas auctions in summer, no?

Dallas is a good place to start looking.

www.lightningmotorsports.net

I visited them once, they pissed in my cheerios, I bought elsewhere. They do have decent prices though and I know for a fact those prices can be haggled down. You might want to check them out. I know a few other people in the Dallas/FtWorth area you may be interested in meeting as well.
No f-bodies at lightningmotorsports.net If you could, I would be more than happy to meet these people. Thanks a crapload.

Originally Posted by cabech984
If youre willing to take less than a ws6 Im sure you could hold out and get a cheap trans am or formula. I bought my Formula last month for $5500.
Nah, my heart is pretty much set on the WS6. I've been wanting it since May of last year... Heck, I don't even have one, but I spent 1-2 hours daily on ls1tech.com and make the wonderful V8 noise when I drive my POS Neon. Still, you $5500 is a bangin' deal for $5500. Congrats.

Originally Posted by ls1amit
Damn ya'll are getting good deals i bought my z for 9000 in april with 75k on it. but that was from a private seller too.
Guess Ashish was right then... I got my Neon at an auction. At the time (Summer '04) it had 63k on it. It's an '03 SXT. I got it for $4,000. Pretty slammin' deal if you ask me. Anyway, the auction I went to was huge. We got there around 9 in the morning, thinking it would take all day to find a good first car for me... We found it in just 5 minutes. But yeah, private sellers, let alone dealerships, charge much more than car auctions.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 443 Likes on 354 Posts

Got this in April '06 for $6500 on eBay:

Old 01-06-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
Got this in April '06 for $6500 on eBay:

dam i give you props for that
Old 01-06-2007, 10:09 AM
11 Second Club